1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Navigation System getting lost

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Roy Dowty, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Roy Dowty

Roy Dowty New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2010 prius with the navigation package in the last month the compass goes berserk and the the navigation gets completely lost.
    I have done the recalibration and it may work for an hour or a day then just start wondering.
    I have spoken to the dealer and the person how I was told would know and he had no idea other than it may be the unit which is around $2000.00 to replace.
    The xm radio works fine and when I get into the system check page by pressing info while turning the light switch from off to side lights four times all the systems say they are OK and the gyro voltage and direction looks good.
    This problem is with the original map cd and the versionb11.1 cd.
    I cannot find any information on the internet so I guess I must be the only one who has this problem.

Any help would be useful

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    garmin?:)

3. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Under what conditions does it get lost? Wide open spaces, or are there obstructions to the GPS signals? Large buildings, mountains, trees, overpasses, tunnels.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    garage?

5. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2012 with navigation package, no satellite radio. This has also happened to me. The only way I've been able to remedy is to turn the car off and then back on. (I know it's not ideal when you trying to get somewhere.) To answer the other questions, this has always happened while I'm driving on regular, populated roads, not in my garage or a tunnel. For whatever reason, my GPS can't locate where I'm driving.

I know that's not a huge help, but just letting you know it has happened to someone else.

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Could it be the GPS antennae ? It is located in the instrument panel according to the Nav manual.

Have you done any front window tinting? There is a caution in the Nav manual against window tinting since the metal in the tinting will interfere with the GPS signals.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My nav continues tracking in parking garages and tunnels (underground and mountain). The Garmin loses contact.

8. Roy Dowty

Roy Dowty New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is in normal populated roads in Collierville TN, I have not tinted windows and nothing has changed in the car.
    What part of the manual is this discribed I have found nothing and the dealer is useless
    It is happening randomly

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Have you tried cleaning the map DVD? I don't expect it to help but like chicken soup, it can't hurt.

If it is a weak connection somewhere why does rebooting the car restore functionality?

I'm sorry I don't have any other bright ideas. Troubleshooting an intermittent problem is a real PITA.

To be fair, the dealer & mechanic don't want to get involved because diagnostics don't pay and you aren't going to want to pay an hourly rate for someone to pull the car apart to find the problem.

10. LAPrius2015

LAPrius2015 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. Not sure if I know of any solutions other than defaulting to a smartphone GPS app. I debated whether the factory navi was worth the extra $1500 between the II and the III. Then again, sometimes google maps also tends to go hay-wire...