1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Navigation System is really horrible

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by TempusFugit, May 21, 2009.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If it's any comfort, a ton of us have had the same issues w/ the Gen II Nav. It really turns on your own location & how ever the fine folks at NAVtech figured your address(es). btw, you CAN make adjustments with your favorites ... jog 'em around on your screen to fix the accuracies of your memory points.

2. XMAN LIVE

XMAN LIVE "Just have Fun!"

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have already told my wife that I need to window mount a Garmin into my Prius V, ATP when I get it. From what I have read about the Real Time Traffic is a option with XM add on, but the built in does not re-route based on Traffic conditions. It also does not adjust your arrival time due to estimated delays. Not sure but believe it does not post the speed limit...I am sure I will like the screen for cell phone options, and backup cam, and my ATP needs it. So I guess it not a complete waste.

3. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I took a trip cross country ( New York to San Fran ) A year ago and the Nav in my 07 got me to the front door of every hotel I stayed at. Some really rural areas of Utah, Wyoming and Nevada.

I live in the Middletown area in NY and the Nav system has gotten me to many places in the rural parts here with no problem.

I have a 2010 on order and am looking forward to the nav update.
    How is the voice recognition in the 2010??
    Thanks

4. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It's supposed to be much improved. Same system is on the new Venza.

5. irondentist

irondentist New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This thread has made my decision for my Prius purchase. I will now DEFINITELY get the 2010 Prius II bare bones and install an aftermarket double din NAV on it. Toyota just makes poor navis, considering my bad experience with the Camry. Like many of you, I am hooked on my Garmin and my iPod. The new Kenwood DNX 9140 seems to satisfy both my requirements, and once I have it installed I will post pics and maybe a video link on how well it works, particularly with the steering wheel touch tracer.

1 person likes this.
  6. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I was not real fond of the NAV in my 07TCh but it was adequate. It did have some nice features but I found it to be difficult to program and it was not up to date on newer roads. However with the large sloping windshiled in the Prius I didn't like the idea of hanging a garmin on it and with the smaller screen and having to reach it then the built in just seemed to be a better solution. Won't like it 100% but it will do.

7. sluday

sluday New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :D:D:D:D

That is so true.

8. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thank you for adding a moderate voice here. As I noted before, I have the 07 w/ Nav. I think it does a very good job. It has been quirky a couple of times, but it never really cost me anything. It certainly is easier and better than pulling out a map and asking it to find a street address for me.

I just wish I could link my iPhone to the Nav screen! I like using the Map app on my iPhone better than any other nav system. It is perfect for use in rental cars (forget the Never Lost thing!), and I even use it in my 07 at times!

9. accordingly

accordingly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't think I've ever been happy with a factory nav in any car I've ever driven or been in. I'll stick to garmin.

10. jeremiah256

jeremiah256 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've heard that later in the year, the upscale sound system in the Prius will have USB sync. Does anyone know if this is true and if so, will it allow what a priori just mentioned: putting the display on the Nav screen?

11. raygundan

raygundan New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm with you. I was hopeful that things would improve-- my experience with the nav system in an '07 was terrible. It's a shame that they've got that huge screen, an $1800 price tag, and solid integration with the rest of the car's electronics in their favor and are still lagging behind a $400 off-the-shelf unit. I think the Garmin 765T looks like it will take the place of anything above a package II for me when I finally get around to buying.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yea, on 2nd thought, my post above forgot to talk about the good things on Toyota GPS's. I DO like the Toyota GPS, even though I laugh at some of the translations it does, whan I say, "zoom in" for closer map junk. I do like it, in fact, comparred to our Garmin street pilot ... which has WAY more issues that I hate, comparred to Toyota. Among those issues:
    Earlier proprietary memory storage
    WAY overpriced map updates
    VERY Poor support on models once they're 3 years old or older
    Monster battery consumption
    Newest map updates can STILL be over 2 years old in detail.
    But I won't whine about any of their other issues, as I could go on. Being positive, they both have strong points, and weak points that can be dealt with.

1 person likes this.
  13. AirKuhl

AirKuhl New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So far I've owned the following brands with built-in Nav:

Toyota, Audi, BMW, Porsche and Infiniti.

They all suck to varying degrees. By far the best Nav I have ever owned is a $200 Garmin Nuvi that I bought at Costco for my motorcycle.

I will still buy built-in Navs because they are "good enough" and there are usually other integration advantages with these systems, but nothing can come close to an aftermarket Garmin in bang for the buck.

1 person likes this.
  14. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    What version is your map data? The prototypes had Ver 8.1, which is the same I have in the 2004. I have no expectations that the location will be much different. Unfortunately the way addresses work is you have a street w/ a beginning and end number. My current NAV puts my house nearly @ my neighbor's driveway. Google maps (also NAVTEQ data) does the same. Blame the map source, not Toyota.

As for rural streets, the Toyota NAV has 3 street classifications - residential, city, and highway. You can set average speeds for each in the setup. However, if your given path is incorrectly labeled, it's a map data issue.

If we're lucky and we find that the initial map data is really THAT bad (same happend in 2004), we may be entitled to a free map update if Toyota sees fit (same happened in 2004 - that initial rev had POI's a mile down the road from where they should have been).

15. volvoswede

volvoswede Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Bummer, I've just been informed by an Oregon dealer that the package IV I want ONLY comes with Nav or Solar options, Maybe that's just in my region but I've got a great Garmin already and could really live without the nav.

1 person likes this.
  16. Blauer Glimmer

Blauer Glimmer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I would probably be happier with the Nav on the Prius if I hadn't owned a Garmin beforehand.

17. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Is the time shown on the car's clock automatically sync'd with the GPS clock?

18. Can'tWait

Can'tWait Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My current NAV puts my house nearly @ my neighbor's driveway. Google maps (also NAVTEQ data) does the same. Blame the map source, not Toyota.

could it be that Toyota loads Japan's maps vs US's in their nav??:D
    I am glad I went w/o a nav...it is a commodity now.

19. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If nav systems really were commodities, the prices would be considerably lower, because they'd all be practically identical! What we are seeing, at least at present, is that some Nav systems stand out as being superior (or otherwise). Some have true proprietary architecture, I believe, so we won't see Navs as commodity for quite a few years.

I do understand what you are getting at though, because prices have dropped dramatically in only a few short years. Then years ago, Nav systems were only for the very rich who had nothing better to do with there money. Even five years back it wasn't too different.

20. Jabber

Jabber Chicagoland Prius Guy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One other thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, is under the menu options. You can change the speeds at which it calculates the estimated time of arrival. The side streets are defaulted at 25. Main roads are defaulting to 35 (in my area, most speed limits are 45+) and highways at 55. That will have a HUGE impact as to what route to take, the timing, etc.

1 person likes this.