1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Navigation System is really horrible

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by TempusFugit, May 21, 2009.

1. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I set mine to 25, 45, and 70. Makes it far more accurate in most cases.

2. TempusFugit

TempusFugit Prius 06, IV 10 & four 11

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That was the problem when I drove from Moscow, Id to Lewiston, Id. GPS said it was going take over an hour, for a half hour trip. It considered the road I was on a Main Road so used 35mph (you can only adjust that parameter up to 55mph). The speed actually
    ranges 60/65 all the way.

3. XMAN LIVE

XMAN LIVE "Just have Fun!"

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think it clear, Just go buy a Garmin and put it in your car. With Garmin software it knows the real speed limit most of the time and you don't need to play with it to make it work. Most of the Time my Garmin 760 GPS is within 10 min, in traffic may be a bit more. No games no fuss. With Real time traffic update it changes my estimated time base on road conditions and re-routes. My GPS was $250.00 from Costco. I was going to sell it with my old Prius but not now, unless I go for a new model that tells me what lane to be in and voice active. From what I can tell even with Real Time XM traffic the built in GPS does not deliver.

4. accordingly

accordingly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Amen. The only downside is the risk of theft if jerks can see the ring in the window. Just get the beanbag accessory and throw it in the center console.

People like to claim that resale will be better with the Nav, but if it sucked when it was new (they all do), imagine how awful it will be when it's 5 years old and the new garmins are even better. Nobody pays more for a used car because it has the $500 dealer pinstripes either.

5. TempusFugit

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The map in the Prius 2010 is Ver 08.1, and I am told it is the latest. One nice improvement is that the DVD is located right behind the GPS screen - you press info button and the screen swings down. My 2006 was under the seat so was much more difficult to change (at least that's where I believe it was). Music CD's are inserted the same way; when the screen swings down there are 2 slots - upper for CD's and lower holds the GPS DVD.

I'm not sure what you mean by don't blame Toyota - I blame both. If Toyota decided to put really garbage tires on new vehicles, which lasted 6 months on average, I would blame Toyota, not the tire manufacturer. They could have used the 2010 Garmin Navteq maps which have been out a few months.

I did a test this morning, mounting a Garmin on the windshield and the Toyota 2010 GPS.

Toyota GPS: I went to Costco (7.3 miles) and was guided around incorrectly, including asking me to pass the street which goes there in a quarter mile, and go up a street which comes in the other side (no one would go that way - half mile maybe). On my way Home it tried to guide me down "Main Street" and then up a very busy road with multiple lights instead of a simple right turn which would have taken me to a 45mph road, cutting driving time by 10-15 minutes. Then told me to turn right 10 blocks before where I needed to turn - a 25mph residential area instead of a 35mph main road. When I didn't turn, it did not "recalculate", I met up with their suggested highlighted route when I made the correct right turn. There were other errors but I don't want you to fall to sleep. BTW, the Garmin never made one error in routing - the old Garmin 2yo map wasn't perfect (better than the Toyota though by a long shot) - the 2010 map update corrected those problems.

It will be interesting to see how others feel in a few weeks when there are many new Prius 2010's out there. The major metro areas will probably be fine.

I hope Toyota improves it with a free update, whenever it is released.

6. TempusFugit

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sure. I took a photo this morning but haven't uploaded it to my computer yet. I'm new here (Great Site!) but will try to figure out how to upload it here when I have a little more time.

7. TempusFugit

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Voice recognition works well. I hope you like your nav update:)

8. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The best is a Garmin MY BMW was not that bad, my rx8 rocked ;)

9. TempusFugit

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm not sure. When you set it up you choose the timezone and DST or not. The clock is much improved - very easily visible.

10. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When you ask for routing, do you get the same three options as with the '07 Nav (Quick 1, Quick 2, Short)?

11. TempusFugit

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Quick, Alt.(alternative), and shortest

12. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks. So it is, essentially, unchanged that way. I think mine defaults to Quick 1 if I don't respond timely or double-hit one of the buttons. Many times I prefer the "Short" routing, because it takes me off of highways, but sometimes it picks the dumbest routes -- going for as much a straight line approach as possible.

13. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I have no concerns as I'm running Ver 8.1 (Gen 4) in my 2004, so the underlying data will be identical. It's not perfect, but I've had no issues here.

14. jeremiah256

jeremiah256 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    For those who have an older generation Prius with an after market GPS installed/mounted, could you please post pictures? I'm loving the pixs of the interior that Winebuff and others have posted of their new cars and my fear is that putting an after market GPS in the 2010 Prius would disrupt the 'Feng Shui' of the current layout. My limited experience with people putting in a GPS is that it's ugly.

15. sluday

sluday New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

How often does Toyota offer nav dvd updates ? I just bought an Infiniti EX last summer and it had the latest hard drive nav update. I just got a letter last month saying the newest map update is available now for $150. My development is being built up along with some new stores and highway exits so I am going to want a year or so for the upgrade. I thought a new nav maps came out once every 2 years.

16. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is really discouraging to hear. I have a 2006 without navi and own a Garmin. I heard so many negative comments about the built-in navi on the Prius and so was really glad I hadn't sprung for it. However, if I decide to buy a 2010, one of the reasons would be because I want the solar roof. To get that (and the backup camera which I am now used to), I would have to also purchase the navi. I was hoping to hear that they had improved!

17. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Annually, at about $265 MSRP. I usually wait a few years unless the data is hindering my normal routes.

18. carz89

carz89 I study nuclear science...

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The "problem" is not with the Global Positioning System satellites. BTW - they aren't geosynchronous ("geo-synced" as you say). There are currently 31 of them, operating in 6 different planes (not the equatorial), and have an orbital period of about 12 hours. GPS is always accurate to well within 100 feet, usually to within 10 or 20 feet, depending on the number and angular separation of the visible satellites. I have verified this to be true using both Garmin and TomTom devices.

If there is a problem, it's with the receiver and/or the software. Garmin has excellent receivers and software, probably the best in the industry. I don't know about the 2010 Prius. It would be interesting to know the names of the specific vendors of the Prius' GPS receiver and software, just like we know that Gentex makes their homelink rear view mirrors.

19. equake

equake Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The cost of the updates are just way overpriced. Thats why my homemade netbook GPS BT combo with MapPoint is a much better bargain although I have no touchscreen (yet).

With all these bad reviews about the Toyo Navs I'm probably still going to get a Prius with a Built-In if not just for the backup cam and the bigger screen (Toyota again forces options with bundles). Besides I live in LA and these routing issues would be at a minimum.

Does the built-ins have Construction/Detour info. Do the Garmins have them?

20. sluday

sluday New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

$265 for a DVD !!!! that's crazy. Good thing for e-bay.