1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius news from Detroit - published on Jan 13th ???

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ken1784, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    This isn't a super important thing, but seeing all the tech this car will have I'd have liked to see turn signals in the side view mirrors.

2. Gakubuchi

Gakubuchi New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Looking at the mirrors I noticed it doesn't have side blinkers on it, as most current cars have (almost in spain). Where are they located? Are they in the side of the extra-large head lights?
    Oh! I see the current prius doesn't have it in america, so I can figure out you don't have side blinkers in USA, isn't it? Here in spain (europe?) we have a small blinker just under the "hybrid" logo. Look here.
    Maybe the european version will have it in the mirrors? I hope so! They are very useful when two cars are very near (you can see side blinkers in the mirror here)

3. Gakubuchi

Gakubuchi New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    :mad: Paradox, you always reply just before me!!!! :D

4. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The LED headlights in the Escalade have 5 LEDs for low beam and an additional 2 LEDs for high beam. They cost $3,044 each to replace compared to $1643 for a replacement HID assembly. The LED headlights are brighter than halogens but not as bright as HID

HID = 830/1200 lumens (Low/High)
    LED = 730/1000 lumens
    Halogen = 400/600 lumens

[​IMG]

The Escalade is the only vehicle that I know of that is sold in the US with full LED headlights and costs $85,000. The Audi R8 has LED low beams.

I can't see Toyota offering Full LED headlights on the base Prius. My guess is that the Prius might have LED daytime running lights or optional LED lights for big $$$$.

This is the headlight photo posted by the Prius Team:

[​IMG]

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't forget the LS600h L (low beams) and Audi A8L (I believe both low and high). The good thing about LEDs is that it isn't glaring (but mostly because they're directional so you need multiple clusters to create a beam spread)

In North America, side blinkers aren't mandatory, that's why manufacturers leave them off when they import the cars here. Some of them retain it (like the Yaris or the Jetta/Golf) but most of them get removed.

The mirror one expands on that because the mirror can be easily seen by oncoming traffic if you're making a left turn (we're left-hand drive) as your mirror will stick out farther than the car. Of course the downside is if your mirror gets swiped by a large truck, it'll be more expensive to replace.

6. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

jhinton, ultimate fail, that pic is not of Prius LED headlights, lol.

7. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Yeah I read about that, but it's my guess with the premium package, or however they decide to name it, you'll get stuff like solar panels and LED headlights. Now, I think the LED headlights they'll do will only be for the low beams; the high beams will be either traditional halogen or HID.

Besides the advantage of longer life with LED's the other advantage they tout is a more natural white light as compared to HID's. And yes, they don't have as many lumens as HID's. But for me, it's the gimmick factor behind them that makes having them fun, if in fact they are an option.

8. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It might not be but if it isn't Danny is messing with us. He posted it on 12/15/08 as "2010 Prius Headlight".

It is also listed in his gallery of all the sneak peak photographs: http://priuschat.com/category/image-galleries/2010-toyota-prius-photos

Check it out for yourself.

9. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

welll why dont you check pic of page 1 on this thread and see how LED lights look like on Prius? :).

and p.s. lumens depend on application, they are not standardized.... Regardless of light output (which we wont know until we get to drive the vehicle), LED's do save energy which is kind of the point, eh? :).

I thought you liked how you thought Insight will have more features than Prius... now you dont like more features? :)

10. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I noticed that the two pictures show different lights. The current Prius has two different light assemblies available, halogen and HID. I only seems natural that Toyota would offer a standard light and an optional upgrade. As I said, I personally don't think that the Prius will have LED headlights standard. They may offer LED's as an option. I could be wrong, I have been before.

I never said that the Insight would offer more features. I said it will be significantly less expensive, get excellent mileage, may have better driving dynamics, ergonomics, and better quality interior materials. All these are a comparison of 2G Insight to 2G Prius. I don't know the features of the 3G Prius and won't until they are announced. I personally think that Toyota is going to move the Prius upmarket and increase the price and features to differentiate the Prius from the Insight. Again, my opinion.

I'm not a fan of "features" myself. I don't like the touchcreen, steering wheel controls, automatic transmissions, or sun roofs. I do like a properly set up suspension and solid construction.

As to lumens, the lumen is an SI unit of luminous flux: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumen_(unit)

11. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That nose is totally Honda. And the new Insight looks like a
    Prius. Maybe I should just give up trying to tell them apart..
    _H*

12. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yippee! Now what is the range of the remote? I'd like to turn on the air conditioning from inside the store, not just 30 feet from the car.

13. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I hope not, unless they can be turned on separately from the headlights to use as DRLs which would be a GOOD thing. The current fog lights have ZERO value, other than as some amount of light if you lose a headlight. At 6'2", I JUST see the line where the fogs hit the road. Anyone much shorter couldn't see the line at all.

14. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I wish it were mandatory. Turn signals near the headlights are fine during the day (if the headlights are off), but at night, it is often hard to see the turn indicator lights. Do you REALLY want people staring into a headlight to see if there is a flashing turn indicator light?. Move them away from the headlights, both vertically and horizontally. If people are concerned with the cost of the mirror, mount them on the A pillars instead.

15. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It don't see the shark fin antenna in this NA version.

Speed Reduction Unit (SRU) like the RX400h is expected. Will it be dual stage? We will have to see....

0.25 cd, wow!!! No rear skirt necessary like the extinct Insight I.

2.4l equivalent power! The 2010 Prius and eCVT should be a rocket compare to the Camry with 2.4l and automatic transmission.

16. nameless dude

nameless dude New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Alright, thanks for the info. I never knew the 2G Prius leans slightly to the left.

17. nameless dude

nameless dude New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Don't forget that the Prius a lot more torque than the Camry and, if rumours are true, the 3G Prius should be more than 100kg lighter as well! I'm hoping that the 3G Prius will even be faster than a 2G Mazda 6, although it seems a bit far-fetched. That'll make things such as merging or motorway travelling much better. Also, will the 3G prius be more expensive or cheaper than the current price for the 2G?