1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius no heat and slow coolant leak problem

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Norwich2, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Norwich2

Norwich2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It is starting to get cold out (upper 30's) and I've noticed I don't get more than luke warm air in the cabin, even after 30 minutes at full heat driving. The car drives fine with no warning lights, getting 55mpg. I tried some grille blocking with no effect. I checked the coolant level and it was below LOW, so refilled it. That didn't have an affect. I suspect I have a slow leak and that the heater core is either clogged or the pump to it is not working. I do not know the location of the core or I'd feel the in/out lines to see if one or both are hot after use. I'd like to address that issue and then the leak (if separate). Note: I did buy this used 6 months ago and had to fill coolant then too, but I found a cracked hose that I replaced and I thought that was the only leak at the time.

2. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I hope it's just your thermostat, or the pump like you said. The real problem would be if your head gasket is leaking antifreeze into one or more engine cylinders. When it's bad enough, you get white smoke from the tailpipe. That, and an overheated engine, too.

3. Norwich2

Norwich2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If it were the head gasket, that would not explain the heating problem, right? Any ideas on how the heater core is or how I can check that? I'll check for frothing bubbles in the radiator with cap off and engine running.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Using Techstream, or even any OBD-II reader, Torque app on a smartphone, whatever, you can watch what temperature your coolant reaches. That would be a good number to have to begin troubleshooting.

Also using Techstream, you can command the air mix damper in the heater all the way from full cold to full hot, and see the position feedback showing that it moves. I don't know how easy it is to visually confirm the motion; in Gen 1 and Gen 2 you could just stick your head under the driver side dash and look, but I think Gen 3 moved the servos and linkages over to the other side, not as easy to see. Maybe with the glove box out....

Techstream can also tell you what the car thinks the inside temperature is. An error in that sensor could lead to less heater output than you're expecting.

-Chap

5. Norwich2

Norwich2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'll try that Chap. I have a bluetooth OBDII adapter and will find an app or check with my friend who has Techstream I did completely drain coolant and refilled today, remembering to open the air bleeder valve during refill. Still not getting hot air, so not likely a bubble issue. I also felt the two coolant tubes going into the firewall at the back of the engine compartment (behind bleeder valve) after running engine for 20 min in maintenance mode. Both were hot, so I think the hot coolant is getting into and out of the heater core. Maybe the damper you mention is exactly the problem. I also noticed that the radiator fan never went on during the 20mins I had the engine running. I have no codes.

6. Jama707

Jama707 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base

Do you remember or did you find the issue? I’m having thr same problems. I’m thinking it might be water pump.