1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius No Power

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jim J Wrench, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Jim J Wrench

Jim J Wrench New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Recently got a bunch of warranty stuff taken care of when my Prius decided to stop working. Then the battery died. I got it jumped, made it home, and it wouldn't turn on again. After a little bit I was able to get it to turn on again. After some digging I found the suggestion to turn it on and leave it on to charge the battery. Several hours later I turned it off and the next day it worked fine! Left it on again a few hours that night and I didn't have any problems till today when it did the same thing.

Nothing on the dash, power barely lights up, and its like the power has gone out. I'm suspecting its the 12V battery (located in the back?) that needs to be replaced, but am not sure if I should drop a couple hundred on that (saw recommendations for a yellow Optima) or if I should pay to have it taken to the dealers who will likely charge me an arm and a leg. Help?

To my knowledge the battery has never been changed out, and I don't get any error codes when I get it to turn on (I have an OBD). I don't have a voltmeter good enough to get voltages and haven't tried that yet.

2. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Go for the 12v battery ...it solves a lot of unusual problems and based on your description of leaving the car on, the HV battery seems to be charging the 12v enough to start it.
    If it's a 2010 and never changed out....it's way past time anyway!

bisco likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Jump starting and letting it run is a fool's mission. Nearly 10 year old battery, doubly so.

Get a half-decent digital multimeter and check the voltage, and I think you'll find it's toast. If it's reading 12.5 or higher it's viable. I would suspect at most 12.0? Less?

Get something like Solar BA9 (electronic load tester, around $60), and you can do what the dealership would do, and retain all your limbs.

Get a smart charger, 3~4 amp range, (I like CTEK 4.3, around $60~80), and with a borderline battery you can bring it back, for a while.

If it's in fact the original battery though, it's long overdue for replacement. In the States a fair number of owners have been getting a Bosch battery, for around $150, through Pep Boys (for one).

4. Jim J Wrench

Jim J Wrench New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Got a new 12V battery put in last night and its come back to life. I'll call it fixed after a couple of weeks of not dying though.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great to hear! Amazing how a bad 12v battery creates all kinds of strange malfunctions and codes........back in the day all it meant was your engine wouldn't turn over...or it turned over very slowly.