1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius not starting without starter fluid in throttle body, fuel pump issue?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by GreenTea&SaltWater, Apr 1, 2023.

1. GreenTea&SaltWater

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I removed the fuel injectors and cleaned them. They were very dirty, some clogged. Also tested them with 12v battery. Made sure they were in good shape before putting them back in. The engine still won't stay on on its own, so I assume it may be the fuel pump. But what I'm confused about is that when I removed the fuel injectors there was plenty of fuel coming out of them. So fuel is reaching them, but perhaps the pressure isn't high enough from the fuel pump?

Is it common for fuel pumps to go bad after 155k miles?

Attached Files:

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The thing that puzzles me is that it requires the starter fluid to start, but then runs for a minute before shutting off normally. So for most of that minute, fuel was getting to it.

But I wouldn't know that from this new thread, because that information's only in your older thread on the same issue.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. GreenTea&SaltWater

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The reason it runs for a minute is because I spray enough starter fluid in the throttle body for it to run for a minute. The moment it runs out it shuts down. If I spray less starter fluid in it will run for less time. And the more I spray in it the louder the engine sounds as well

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok. I could buy a fuel pump problem for that then.

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'd probably do a pressure test before paying for a pump.

6. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes maybe.
    But it is even MORE common for things to get worse after you "fix" them.
    You might have one or more injectors that are now not working at all.

7. GreenTea&SaltWater

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    i scrubbed them and cleaned them with vinegar and starter fluid. flushed them out. made sure they were connected properly
    im embarrased to admit i dont have the $140 to rent it from autozone. would a fuel pump test on techstream confirm it? i have an outdated version of techstream and that test doesnt work on it, but i'm willing to find a newer version

8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I don't think the car has any on board fuel pressure measurement- the thing you see in techstream is what you use to force the pump to run so that you can get an honest pressure reading on the gauge you don't have.

It's a tough call. Electric fuel pumps are pretty much the king of "no returns once sold" and I'd hate to see you splash out on a new one only to discover that it was never the problem in the first place.

GreenTea&SaltWater likes this.
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    At the same time, it's not very straightforward to hook up a pressure gauge and test it.

[​IMG]

10. GreenTea&SaltWater

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    So without the fuel pressure gauge I won't gain anything out of the fuel pump reading on techstream?

11. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Toyota EFI pumps can be sourced very inexpensive . Matter of fact I haven't used the Toyota branded fuel pump in any of my Corollas or Toyota's. Since probably 88 and the same Toyota fuel pump that goes in most of my Corollas and whatnot for EFI if it's a lot of my power sports equipment same exact pump drop it in and go so I keep a few around and they're pretty fast to change $155,000 mi back in the old days that would be an electronic fuel pumps time to get ready to go today they seem to do double that if not run forever the one in my Gen 2 is original 300 plus few Corollas with similar miles I haven't had a fuel pump go out in a long time and a Toyota and they're all electric EFI pumps for the last 20 years or so. I buy re boxed from all the major suppliers

12. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You could use a credit card, then take it back the same day....

13. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I don't have much experience with techstream (and I've never needed to check prius fuel pressure) but going on what little I have? no, I don't think it will be useful.

14. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Let's see if I can make this any clearer:
    It is possible......or likely even......that what you did to the injectors DAMAGED them.
    Especially the part about testing them with a 12 V battery. (might have burned out the coils)

And isn't most of that $140 at Autozone a "deposit" that you get back when you return the equipment ??

15. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    o_O

bisco likes this.
  16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Back when the PriusChat injector exchange thing was going on, Rich of Cruzin Performance, who was doing the restorations, recommended using a 9 V battery for bench testing.

Of course the injectors work on 12+ volts in the car, but only for computer-controlled pulses measured in milliseconds, and that's hard to replicate when just poking it with wires by hand, when it's probably also not mounted in a big hunk of aluminum and with fuel flowing through it to keep it cool.

The 9 V battery is still enough to find out if it's going to click or not, but reduces the V²/R heating by nearly 50%, giving you a better chance of not overheating the things.

17. GreenTea&SaltWater

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I bought a fuel
    I bought a $25 fuel pressure kit from Amazon that arrives today. I don't have $140 to leave a deposit at autozone.

18. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Injectors are designed to be operated by very short pulses of energy.
    If you leave them connected to a voltage source for too long they could be damaged.
    COULD BE is the key phrase here.

19. Mr. F

Mr. F Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The repair manual test for checking the injection volume asks you to connect the injector to a (9 V? 12 V?) battery for 15 seconds.

Assuming, conservatively, that the prescribed battery is 9 V, the same amount of Joule heating would be produced by a 12 V battery in 7-8 seconds. As long as the injectors were not connected continuously for longer than that, I would not expect to see any damage.

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    During an injection-volume test, fuel (or test fluid) would flow through the injector for the whole 15 seconds, tending to cool it.

An injector held in the hand for a simple will-it-click test normally won't have flow like that to dissipate heat.

I have no first-hand experience with damaging an injector that way, and no real idea how long it might take; on this subject I'm only repeating what I heard from Rich Jensen, whose business is restoring the things. The 9-volt idea came from him. I've run across the same concern in other places, and apparently Sam has too.

I might be able to believe a couple things at the same time, like (1) it may be a legitimate thing to pay attention to when testing injectors, and (2) it still might be a pretty long-shot explanation of why the OP's car won't start.

#20 ChapmanF, Apr 3, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2023