1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius OEM-quality Fog Light Kit Now Available!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Danny, May 10, 2010.

1. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I hated that feature on my 09 Corolla S & there was a mod to have independent fog light control which I did, love it so much more. I would pay $20 more for something I by-passed on my Corolla. :D

2. iam4pack

iam4pack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just installed these fog lamps in my 2010 Prius. I'm very happy with them! I have a link to a video of my install in my sig.

3 people like this.
  3. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Excellent video! I'm hoping that mine will come in any time so I can get them installed. :cheer2:

4. jbcarey

jbcarey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ditto to that, I told my brother about the lights and he is ordering a set for his 2010, we are going to tag team it and do both cars at his place cause he has a heated garage, I hate working out in the cold
    JBC

5. kumatae

kumatae Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Just ordered mine couple of days ago and can't wait to get them installed! Process doesn't look too bad after having watched iam4pack's video. BTW, great job on the editing! I'm probably going to do a slight retrofit on these lens by adding another set of thicker glass lens so that it doesn't crack so easily. I'll be back with the results.

1 person likes this.
  6. kumatae

kumatae Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    just installed the fog lights from priuschat today thanks to mlk day! the directions that came with the lights were right on. i did put some lexan to cover the shroud so that it's little bit more aerodynamic and it'll protect the lens better. i wanted to replace the lens completely with thicker lens but couldn't get broken ones in time.

i noticed the bulb that came with the lights were way bright. my wife was following me in the prius and i noticed that she shouldn't be putting it on for show unless there's thick fog. the fog lights make the signal blinkers hard to see as well. so that being said, what kind of bulbs are people putting on? i want something white but with low wattage since it never gets foggy here in so cal. will post some pictures tomorrow.

7. bhziegler

bhziegler New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Help! I just completed the install yesterday and the fog lights are not working. When I turn on the headlights, the fog light switch icon lights up as expected, however, when I push the switch to turn on fog lights, the indicator does not illuminate and the lights do not come on. I have checked the fuse and been over the wiring several times and am quite confident that everything is attached correctly. Any suggestions on further isolating/ fixing the problem?

8. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Most of the time this ends up being the tapped connection inside the car by the ECU, the brown wire for the kit from Prius Chat Shop. The splice tap connector does not make good contact with the copper in the wire unless it is pressed together tightly. I ended up using a pair of pliers to complete the connection.

A quick way to tell is to have someone turn the fog lights on and off as you check the relay in the engine compartment to see if the relay is operating. If the relay is not operating check for 12V on the relay coil. If you are not seeing 12V it is most likely this spliced tap connection.

9. bhziegler

bhziegler New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks. Dumb question: how do I know if the relay is operating?

10. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You should be able to hear it but to be sure hold it in your fingers with thumb on top. You will feel it when it energizes and de-energizes.

11. bhziegler

bhziegler New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks again. I have been over the tapped connection and I think it is okay. When I turn on the car's headlights, the icon on the newly installed switch illuminates (also turns off when headlights are off). I'm by no means an expert, but wouldn't this fact indicate that I have correctly tapped into the brown (hot) wire neaxt to the ECU? In reviewing the instructions, one stupid thing I did was hook up the relay connector to the fusebox power source before I attached it to the relay itself. Could this error have fried the relay or would it be protected by the fuse? Sorrry for all the questions but I'm really frustrated that I can't get this to work. (normally I'm not a total idiot)

12. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You are correct, if the fog icon on the switch illuminates that does mean you are getting 12V from the brown wire to the light. Did you check the relay to see if it is energizing or not? If wired correctly, you have the icon illuminating and the plug connector that carries the wire from inside of the car to the relay is correct then the relay should energize.

Since the fuse goes to a relay connector there should be no harm of you connecting to the fuse first and then the relay, as long as the pins did not strike ground. You would have seen an arc if that happened. Then the worst that would have happened was to blow the fuse.

If the relay is energizing but the fog lights are not coming on then you may have blown the fuse and need to check this. You can check the fuse by pulling it out and checking it with an ohmmeter or by visually looking at the fuse link inside the fuse and make sure it has not separated.

13. jbcarey

jbcarey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    How about ohming out the ground wire in the engine compartment?

14. jbcarey

jbcarey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just got mine from UPS yesterday, can't wait to get started.
    I think I have read all the threads on this install and I am questioning the "dark brown wire mentined o the 2011 model and the light brown or tan wire on the 2010, can anyone confirm the wire or are there two tan and brown and one is the park light and one is the headlight, either would work EH?

15. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good point. If you check the 12V and all is OK and the fog lights still do not work, check your ground connections. This is the current return path and needs to be a low resistance connection.

16. iam4pack

iam4pack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Here's what the wire looked like on my 2010 Prius. It is more of a light brown.

Attached Files:

17. tcolt45

tcolt45 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I will have to get this for our Prius.

18. Kwidjaya

Kwidjaya Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi guys...I am new here in this forum. How much this kit cost ? Where can I order them ?

19. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    From the Prius Chat Shop on this forum site. Click on Shop at the very top of this page.

20. dehhh

dehhh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    get it from ebay. its a full kit and cheaper.