1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius OEM-quality Fog Light Kit Now Available!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Danny, May 10, 2010.

1. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can somebody please answer the question which wire to tap into so that the fog lamps will come on with the low beams only and not the high beams? :confused: Pictures would be great. Thanks again if you can.

2. jbcarey

jbcarey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just installed kit as so many have already done and I read all of the posts and got some good tips.
    Used the radio shack connector
    installed adapters without the lights so I could work through the hole to undo the clips on the wire bundle attachments and installing on new parts also snapping the adapters into the bumper cover was real easy with the light not there.
    Did by some extra zip ties for attachment of the wire bundles.
    Relay and ground wire went easy with 1/4 inch drive universal socket
    I now can see on those foggy morning in New York also lets me see the deer before they reach the road.
    I must say they light up the sides of the road
    They may be a little high but I like the display the way they came out
    Good Mod
    I forgot to mention that the hardest part of the job was getting the car up on the ramps.
    I have always used the brake and the gas pedal to move a vehicle up a set of ramps, but the Prius won't let me do that I was afraid I was going to overshoot once I figured how to move the car

3. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Before answering the question, we need to know what your system wiring is. Example, if you bought the one from the PC store, you cannot make it work like you wanted it to. My suggestion is to buy this
    eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

and I'll guide you through.

4. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Finally! Somebody answered my question thank you so much. Unfortunately like an idiot I already purchased the wrong fog lamp kit from the PC store thinking this is the one to buy. :mad: I may try and return it and start over. I wonder if I can just disconnect it from the fuse box when I take it in for inspection and tell them my fog lamps are for cosmetic appearance only. (I doubt whether they would buy that lame accuse)

5. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wow! PC store is great. I ordered a bunch of stuff for the wife's Gen III and it all arrived within a week.

Now I need some warm weather to get out there and put it all in. The fog light kit looks a bit formidable, wiring wise, so I expect that will be a lot of fun(?). I looked over the instructions... we'll see.

Re: Fore...

Which fog light kit did you get?

6. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Re: Fore...

Which fog light kit did you get?[/QUOTE]

The OEM kit for $114.00 I believe from PC Shop. Your laws may differ in your state but here in Virginia you can't have the fog lamps come on with the bright lights, even if you plan not to use them that way. I'll probably return mine and buy the one's that are approved by Toyota and hook up the way they were intended to be "legal".

7. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Using a relay, it would be very easy to "modify" the kit mentioned above to shutoff with the high-beams activated.

8. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can you explain in detail how to go about this? Does that require a relay connection to the steering column area? Also, I will forgo the push switch in the dash if someone could explain how to do this in the engine bay area only some how so that they come on all the time with the regular lights only. Thanks!

9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I assume you can read wiring diagrams? If so, I will draw one up this weekend.

10. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's the same fog light set that I bought.

Doesn't the wiring diagram need to include a way to set up the fogs to go off when brights came on? Back when I was researching and looked at the PDF instructions, it seemed to be set up that way. This law is common in many states as I understand. Maine's law is the same, fogs must go off when you put the brights on.

I guess I better read the instructions again. I'm not going to put these fogs in until we get a little warmer, anyway. A bit too chilly to work out in the garage yet.

Thanks spiderman. A schematic would probably help out a lot!

11. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Yes! Thanks Spiderman that would be very helpful! Please let me know what relay I need to buy and where and how to install it. Again thank you so much!

12. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi guys, I added the wiring diagram to my old Fog Light thread. Please look it over and let me know what you think. For the electrical engineers, please review and let me know if anything is incorrect. Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  13. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    HELP!!! Ok, I’m starting to get a bit confused, can I still use the PC Shop fog light kit which currently comes on when using either the high or low beams via the push button switch in the dash. Can someone please explain in simple terms how to install another relay to have the fog lights come on with the low beams only using the kit above? I need step by step instructions and which color wires to tap into, which relay to buy and where to put it, etc., etc. Do I tap into the steering wheel wire some how or go directly to the front of the low beam wire up front in the engine bay area?

14. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh boy. Where I have indicated the power from the battery in the diagram, just substitute the wire running from the fog light switch. I assume this wire runs through the firewall? Did you have another relay yet?

1 person likes this.
  15. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Spiderman I have not purchased an additional relay yet, because I'm not sure which one to get. Also, I did look at your diagram and there's no straight connection to the battery because it's way in the back of the hatchback.

This kit from the PC shop is wired to the fuse box for positive feed then to a brown wire under the dash to tap into the regular lights when they are turned on at any position high or low beams. It was suggested by another member here to tap into the pink wire on the steering column. Well that's great in general but how to you go about it. What I need to know is can I forgo the brown wire all together and just go straight to the pink wire at the steering wheel for this to work and do I still need another relay? I don't want to screw this up and fry something! Unfortunately, I one of those people that needs stick drawings and pictures to accomplish any task anymore. My reasoning and foresight went out many moons ago. I can follow dummy step by step instructions only at this point in my life. Thanks if you can give any further quidance.

16. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

1 person likes this.
  17. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My diagram is a complete under the hood solution... nothing running through the firewall. In a nut shell, when the headlights are on, so are the fogs. When the high beams are activated the fogs will be off.

Ok, great that's what I would like to do. So instead of tapping into the brown wire under the dash, put the new relay on it and attach it to one of the low beam wires at the light in the engine bay area? You have the exact year Prius I have can you let me know which wire color scheme is the correct wire to tap into and where best to put it? (If you have the time)

Any 20 amp, 5-pin (with normally open and normally closed connections) automotive relay like I linked to in the diagram write up will do.

Ok, will get this ASAP!

Guess you could fly me down there to help. ;)[/quote]

Well by the time I did that I could of have the Dealership put it in for me.

Anyways, thanks again for all your input.

18. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, no tapping into the brown wire... all the wiring done in the engine bay. Yes, I was thinking about just doing it and taking photos along the way. The car goes into the shop tomorrow so hopefully have it back Sat.
    Now do you have the fog light kit now or is it on the way?

I have a bunch of relays from when I replaced a remote start system in a previous car. That should help verify my diagram.

1 person likes this.
  19. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes! I already have the fog lights I didn't realize until after I purchased them that they were not designed to stay off with the high beams when you pushed the switch on the dash.

I will go and get a relay some where tomorrow. What gauge wire would I need to install to the low beams upfront? That would be great if you went ahead and did this and shoot some pic's showing where and how you did it. Thanks so much for doing that if you still are! Do you already have fog lamps installed?

I think at the very least I'll go ahead tomorrow and install the fog lamps, but not hook them up until I hear back from you.

20. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, fog lights were my second mod (see the link in my signature), but I just have the switch. The lighting laws up here are not enforced.

I will try to get to it this weekend, but it is Easter so no guarantees.