1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius OEM-quality Fog Light Kit Now Available!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Danny, May 10, 2010.

1. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yo Fore,
    I had some time tonight so I updated the document. I redesigned the diagram that should be more realistic and added photos of where to tap into the headlights.

I also tested the circuit and it worked as advertised. Don't need it in the car so I won't wire it up there.

If you have any issues, just drop a message and I will help out.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks again for all the work you put Spiderman. I haven't done the fog lamp project yet still up in the air about what direction to take. This morning I washed the vechicle it's been awhile and I did the horn MOD tho it was more frustrating then I thought it would be. I did put the fog lights in and wired them up towards the fuse box until I decide what to do. Was getting tired of playing with it all so I stopped.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Now that I got the diagram and tested it, I really want you to test it out. :) Don't give up, you are almost there.

1 person likes this.
  4. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Spiderman in your diagram you indicated that:

"I added an optional switch in the diagram which would allow the owner to shut down the fog lights at any time. The switch would be in the cab of the car. It could be wired as shown in the diagram or even prior to the trigger (+) of the normally open relay (as an interrupt). The latter would be preferable since smaller wires would be needed."

Can you show me in the diagram picture where it would go. I'm slowy getting a handle on it. For now I'm thinking about just installing the way it was designed with the switch on the dash. I have until next January when my inspection is due to fix it so that it only comes on with the low beams. Would this be hard to do at a later date or do you suggest for me to get it over with now once I take off the dash panels? Again, thanks for all your responses and the effort you've put into this.

5. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey no problem, a pleasure to help.

I would just do the current diagram now... in other words, no switch in the cab (for now). That is the harder part anyways.

Did the new diagram help (the one showing the pins of the relays)?

So just get two relays, tap into the driver's side headlight wiring (see picture in last posts), connect wires to relays, fogs and the fuse box and tada, your done. :)

6. JStrenk

JStrenk Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just finished this addition to my 2011 Prius. I'm 60 and if I can do it anyone can.
    The instructions were fine although the "V" channel was a little hard to find at first and the wires just didn't seem to stay in the "V" well. There is a tan wire in that bundle that was very tempting and the brown wire actually has a gold dot on it but testing it with a DVM verified the brown wire with gold dot is the correct one.

Wish I found the alternate instructions first. Would of saved me some time in how to rout the wires in the engine compartment.

Just a couple changes.

It was easier to remove the blank bezel first and then remove the harness to the TS lights by squeezing the tabs on the back of the harness clip.

Since my Prius is Black I painted the bezel black also.

There was a fuse or something in the fuse box were the power wires was suppose to go so I looked for an alternate location.

This connection was open so I tried it and it works, Can someone tell me it this connector is rated for the current draw from the fog lights?

[​IMG]

I also broke the mounting tab off the relay so I just tucked it into the harness and secured it with some wire ties.

I also have about 7 or 8 extra screws in the kit. What step did I miss??

7. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The red wire connection is good. That is where I got my power per instructions from toyota dealer fog light kit. The 2010 had theirs in the yellow square.

8. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Danny, do u offer a kit for the 2012 Prius w/the updated front & LED DRLs?

9. PatrickN

PatrickN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello, I just got my Fog Light Kit in the mail and I began reading through this entire thread. I haven't finished so excuse me if this question has been answered already, but how did the member use them as a EBH wire holder?

I already have an EBH installed on my 2011 Prius and I'm about to do the Fog Light mod so I'd like to know what you meant by a EBH plug holder.

Thank you

10. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The guy I sold the blanks to used one to create a holder for one of those water proof plug-ins w/ a cover. That connected to the EBH. He did not have fog lights.

11. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm surprised no has commented about the switch on the dash being inserted upside-down in both the color, and black and white pdf instructions (Step 5.3).

When inserted in the correct orientation, the power indicator light should be at the top, and the little icon should have the beam pointed down, not up, as they are "fog lights" and should be directed down at the road surface. ;)

The dash indicator icon in the instrument cluster of my 2010 Camry SE with OEM fog lights, depicts the beam directed in the downward direction, through the lines of "fog/haze".

Not a Prius, but the switch installed in dash:

[​IMG]

The dash indicator on my Camry SE:

[​IMG]

12. jbcarey

jbcarey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It is mentioned in the thread, I remember reading it and checking the icon on my Hyundai, yes it is upside down in the instructions

13. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My bad, I didn't read through the entire/long thread. :p

14. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Does anyone know which way to turn the adjuster to make the beam go down (turn screwdriver clockwise or counter-clockwise)? The foglight on the passenger side is definitely too high and will cause a lot of glare to other drivers.

15. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello all,

I just bought 2011 w/ 8k on the clock, Don't have it yet but soon. In the meantime I have some questions about the "OEM" Style fog lights
    Looking at the .pdf instructions makes me wonder, they talk about a red wire and a bridge connection to the brown wire. Where did this red one come from? Is it in the harness already and you expose it by cutting back the insulation?
    I am hoping these lights have some adjustment on them for height at least. If they do, can you adjust them from the front of the car or must you take the pan off under the engine to make the adjustments?

I definitely want to get a set of these, all my cars have had fog lights on them and I am a firm believer in them. I would wire mine so they are off and on with the low beam. Reading all these postings it seems that some do come on with the low beams and others want to use them as DRLS's I don't know what the default wiring is.

Thank you!

16. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The red wire is part of a harness that goes into the back of the dashboard switch, it comes with the kit.

The lights do have an adjustment mechanism on them. You need a pretty long phillips screwdriver to get at the adjustment mechanism, it's easiest if you partly remove the two corners of the fairing that's under the front end to get to it.

If you want them to come on with your low beams and your parking lights, just leave the dash switch in the "on" position. The default wiring allows the fogs to be on along with the high beams though.

17. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the info, I was 'hoping' to be able to adjust them without removing anything. Most others I have encountered can be done from the front of the vehicle. Maybe I'll get lucky and they won't be aimed at the trees to find squirrels.

I'm ordering a kit now :D

Cheers,

ES44AC

18. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Danny, can I buy just the switch & wiring harness? I don't see that as a option on the stores website.

19. daveyator

daveyator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I ordered this kit and installed it in just under 3 hours. I've had my new to me 2011 Prius with 56oo mi on it for like three weeks and had to have this kit. The only minor snags I ran into was my car had that cheesy dealer installed alarm....Karr alarm I think.....installed. When I opened the dash there was a rather large bundle of extra wiring that really threw me for a loop because it also contained brown wires and when I finally figured out the real brown wire I had to peel back extra tape to give room for the bridge because there was a bridge for the alarm system there also. There were also extra wires below and an extra small plug to the back of the LED module or whatever it is. Not to hijack this thread but I did see a black plastic box with a min and max blue adjuster. I've done a few searches trying to figure out how to activate....or remove....this device but is appears pretty wired in so I didn't mess with it. If someone could point me to the appropriate thread I would appreciate it. The other really minor snag is that the instructions didn't say anything about the screw holding in the factory plug along with those tabs so I spent a few minutes being an idiot and trying to push the plug in to remove it before I saw the screw. I have to echo how nice this kit is and its factory like appearance. My only concern is I saw on ebay a dealer selling an actual Toyota fog light kit for the Prius. Would that kit have used existing wiring and would it have activated any in dash indicators and taken care of the off when high beams on thing. Sorry to ramble.

20. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Post a link to that eBay auction, AFAIK there are only 2 major kinds of foglight kits for the Gen III, OEM style and the projector w/halo.