1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 prius oil change

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by alfon, May 30, 2009.

1. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We purchased our 2010 Prius III with Navi on 051709. I have over 2,300 miles on the car and plan on doing my oil change at 5,000 miles by myself.

I plan on using mobil 1 synthetic oil 0 W 20 weight.

I have heard that the new oil filter is now a removable cartridge and not the easy screw in type. This one has a paper element with O rings.

Also, is there a special tool required to take off the bottom engine cover so you can access the oil drain plug and the filter.

Any input would be a big help.

Also this Prius with the now bigger engine, 1.8 liter, holds, according to the owners manual, 4.4 quarts. This seems quite a lot of oil.

I plan on putting in 4 quarts and see where the oil level is on the stick. I like to have the oil level in the middle of low and max.

Thanks

Alfon

2. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My 240D had the cart and what a pain in the @@@. It also had a full flow bypass filter on top of the cart. Do they allow 0W20?

As to your question the book answer for class is the middle of the low and high mark. However, I fill it to the top just in case it sucks oil and I don't catch it. Most modern engines have a full pressure spray system and not cups on a crank shaft that throw oil on the bottom of the engine. Maybe? If you overfilled those old engines you could retard the cup action. OK guys be gentle on me. LOL Consequently the saying a little low on oil is ok.
    I would not put any less than the middle of the fill marks and would strive to keep it full at every gas up.

3. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You need a small flat bladed screw-driver to start the prying of the under cover. In a pinch your fingernails will do (don't ask how I know :)). Get a oil filter cap wrench that is 64mm with 14 flats. Don't use a 65mm, the cap is on pretty good from the factory and you don't want to round those edges. Don't remember the oil drain size, fairly standard.

Wayne

1 person likes this.
  4. bigcwill

bigcwill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I used a strap filter wrench. It needed folding to fit good. Worked fine off and on.

Pep Boys had Mobil 1 0W-20 for $29.99 5 quarts with a free Mobil One filter (that I got to fit the El Camino). The filter is worth $11. Toyota dealer had filters for $6.49.

So around $33 based on 4.4 quarts. I noticed fine metallic flakes in the oil visible in bright sunlight at 2,450 miles.

5. feslope

feslope Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone know the part number of this filter? I would like to order a case from e-bay but want to be sure I get the right one.

6. Kepner

Kepner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have used an office staple puller to remove the plastic buttons from the bottom engine cover.

7. TKY

TKY Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Toyota part number - 04152-YZZA6. Purchased from a Toyota dealership, it included a new o-ring.

Don't forget to replace the washer on the oil pan drain plug. --TK

2 people like this.
  8. feslope

feslope Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info. I really coulden't find that anywhere.

9. MattsGen3

MattsGen3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I will be due for an oil change soon.

In my previous cars I have always used WIX filters. I believe it is one of the higher quality filters in the market. Their part number for 2010 prius is 57064 comes with gaskets.

I buy the filters here for $3.04 + shipment It comes in a case with 12 filters.

anybody else tried/used wix filters ?

1 person likes this.
  10. Granted

Granted Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm new to Prius chat, and am here because I'm about to do my first oil change and tire rotation. When purchasing the ow-20 oil, I was a little more than shocked at the $6.27/quart price, considering I paid less than half of that for my Jeep oil (I also had to spend 3k on a new transmission at 133k miles, so...). So I went online to look for discounts and found that I actually came away with a bargain. But what I also found was this blog article - which I just discovered I can't post here %@&$*(! - that says the use of this oil is not mandatory, and use of other oils will NOT void the warranty. This sort of makes sense, as I have used a couple different oils over the life of my past vehicles, and know that it didn't violate warranties. The article says that the ow-20 is recommended because it allows manufacturers to claim higher mpgs so they meet CAFE requirements. It also says that it is a violation of the Federal Magnusson Moss Act Law, for manufacturers to tie a specific oil (or aftermarket product) to warranties. I will read up on this, but have any of you heard anything about the use of other oils in the Prius? I'm sure it will effect mileage in the tenth of a mile range, but I'm not a hyper-miler, so don't care about that.

11. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You only need 3.5 qts every 10000 miles, so it is about $0.001 per mile versus the cheapest dino oil. Why sweat it. I do look forward to mobil 1 coming in 5 qt jugs for the 0W20.

5W20 is authorized when 0W is not available, but only for one cycle.

I'm sticking to 0W20 which only comes in synthetic. You can run something thicker, but if the engine is damaged from sludge, then who's at fault? That portion of the warranty should be invalid. Even if it runs fine, you will buy a bit more gas, maybe $0.001 per mile, who knows.

Perhaps jayman or others with technical knowledge will chime in.

Good luck.

12. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Furthermore, the 10M interval only applies if using 0W20, so the cheap stuff doesn't save anything.

13. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You should post this in the 2010 forum, but I am game! LOL:D

0w20 should not be used in hot climates. I have had 4 Civic hybrids over the years and they all took 0w20. 0w30 is prefered by me and only me. I do not speak for the management or the station.LOL

One of my Civics was Lemon Lawed for extreme piston slap:mad::mad: ( the other 3 had a mild case). I will never again use 0w20 in any vehicle unless I live in the great white north.

Some companies have loose fitting pistons and thin oil to increase MPG at the engines expense. :(:(

14. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I use the Amsoil 0W20 SSO oil for my Prius - Mostly because I use their oil for my Harley as well. It was a little more expensive than the dealer's oil, but it's also rated for up to 25k/1 yr Intervals. I'll be changing yearly, because I don't come close to that mileage right now.

I just picked up the filters at the dealership when they had them on sale. I didn't consider the cartridge filter to be much of a pain when I changed the oil. The nice thing about it, is there is a lip on it which stops you from over-torquing it when you install it back on. Also, if you get the filters at the dealership, they MIGHT throw in a free gasket for the drain plug.

I would agree with some that I'd go with a slightly higher weight oil if you live in those warmer climates. However, I wouldn't go much higher than 0w30 for what my opinion is worth. Esp for those that have a typical 5 mile drive everywhere they go like I do. Not much time for the ICE to get up to temp, esp with the start/stop that these cars use. Actually, in the winter months, I don't think I even hit operating temp for the ICE by the time I get to work, even if I leave the heater off in the car!

15. senna

senna New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    When I go to US MOBILE 1 web site they recommend SAE 0W-20 or 5W-20 and when I go to GERMAN MOBILE 1 web site they recommend SAE 5W-30 for 2010 Prius.

US MOBILE 1:
    [​IMG]

GERMAN MOBILE 1:
    [​IMG]

I guess that SAE 0W-20 is not even available in Europe so we'll have to use 5W-30 Synthetic... the same one I was using for my previous car - Toyota Yaris D-4D (DIESEL).

16. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Generation III

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    See Mr. Bill oil change posting - he covers it all for you (26,000 hits)

17. 2004and2010

2004and2010 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The bottom line is that the synthetic oil is you only have to change oil every 10,000 miles instead of every 5,000 miles. So if your time has any value, that extra cost for the synthetic oil is not bad. I received a new maintenance booklet in the mail and Toyota is now saying the synthetic oil every 10,000 miles is the standard they set.

18. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    EU driving cycles can include a lot of autoroute driving, at high speeds. In the EU, they also have at a minimum, 12 month oil change intervals. Many autos offer a 24 month, 30,000 km interval

The ACEA motor oil specs are light years beyond the SAE/API specs for North America. It's still common practice here to change your oil every 6 months or 8,000 km, if not more often

If you tried that with our typical cheap crap North American oil, even changed every 5,000 km, the motor wouldn't last very long

In the end, you have to make a judgment call and determine what will work best for your driving cycle and climate

19. sunvia

sunvia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just changed oil on my 2010 prius... Dealer said 0-30 oil is ok...walmart has mobil 1 for 23.95 for 5 qt jug.... Filter FROM TOYOTA DEALER was just over $4 including the
    o ring....gasket for oil plug was $1.60 and required... I used a car ramp on right front wheel...it gives enough clearance if you're not 250 lbs..
    Those little black snaps are a pain, but can be popped as mentioned above... All in all,,,is is worth the savings, but more involved than the old fram type filter change.....like dropping a flap from a sailor's pants.

20. NakedMoleRat

NakedMoleRat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The plastic fasteners holding on the plastic under-cover are made of two plastic pieces. One is inside the other and both pieces are visible from under the car. Make sure you put the flat bladed screwdriver between the two plastic heads in the flat groove in the wider head of the fastener. If you are using much force, you are doing it wrong. I broke off three of these fasteners before I quit. Now I need to get new ones as they don't work anymore. I took out a broken fastener into the sunlight from under the car before I realized my error. :eek: