1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius on the snow and ice.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Slicer89, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Slicer89

Slicer89 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wondering how well these cars do in the snow and ice. My girlfriend has a 2010, Brand spanking new Douglas all-season tires ( all we can afford) and wondering how well they get along in the snow and icy roads? I know it has traction-control, but in my previous experiences that's been sometimes an issue in snow / ice.... But unlike most cars, I don't see a button to turn it off... Is there a way? And what other features does the car have that might make it better than a normal FWD car?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Ideally, what you'll want to do is take the car, go find some snow and ice, and play around, working on developing a driving technique that takes advantage of the traction control built into the car and doesn't work against it. Doing that some time when you're not hurried or anxious and getting the hang of it then will prepare you well for when you need it. You can follow this post for more info.

Cheers,
    -Chap

WilDavis likes this.
  3. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    We live in rural Maine and we have a 2011 Prius Gen3, in deep loose snow it handles fine up to about 8 inches.

At about 8 inches is the point where you are high-centering too much. The undercarriage low so in about 4 inches of snow, the bottom of the car will begin packing the snow down. As you go on into deeper snow, at 8 inches is when there is so much f the vehicle weight resting on snow that there is no longer enough weight on the tires for them to give you forward movement.

Where we are located the frost-line goes to 4 foot deep. That means the ground freezes solid all the way down 4 foot below grade.Once the ground freezes, any time there is fog moving across the pavement from any body of water, the fog will freeze on the pavement. Forming an ice layer, called 'black ice'. I am not aware of any 'all season' tire that can grip on black ice.

We have a set of summer tires on rims, and we have a set of winter tires on rims.

We love how our priuis' handle on snow and ice. :)

Once the rivers freeze over we shift some of our daily driving on them.

Sometimes when we visit friends with steep driveways, we have had issues with the traction control. There is a procedure to dis-able it. That may help.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you stay out of deep snow, take it easy, and have good tires, you'll be ok. Snow tires on extra rims is the way to go.

WilDavis likes this.
  5. CNYhybrid

CNYhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There is a way to turn off the traction control but it is involved and leaves your hybrid system at risk to suffer damage. I own a 2011 Prius Four and live in a very snowy area and have found that Michelin X-Ice snow tires work very well. If you live where you get more than light snowfall I would NOT try to get away with all season tires. Yes dedicated snows and rims have a cost but so do accidents and getting stuck somewhere. Look at it that if you switch between snows and all seasons each set will last twice as long. :)

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Tande and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I am not aware of any 'risk' of suffering damage. This is the first time I have ever heard of such a thing.

The distinction between brand names is minor. I use studded "General altimax arctic" tires

The difference between studded and un-studded is a big difference.

7. CNYhybrid

CNYhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I disagree that the "distinction between brand names is minor" based on reading several hundred customer reviews. The Bridgestone Blizzaks are likely the best but the Michelin X-Ice are very close and they are quieter, have a more comfortable ride, have low rolling resistance with both Eco and Green certifications and a 40,000 mile tread wear warranty.

In regard to turning off the traction control there is an entire thread on this site highlighting the need to limit wheel spin to prevent damage to certain of the hybrid components.

WilDavis likes this.
  8. CNYhybrid

CNYhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    And I do believe that a number of states prohibit or limit the use of studded snow tires.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Amen.

^ Hey, twice in one day:

upload_2017-1-6_18-14-20.png

CNYhybrid likes this.
  10. Slicer89

Slicer89 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have noticed that on packed snow, I have to really give it a boot full to get it to spin the wheels, Otherwise it takes off fine... and driving on a pretty ice road, it feels nice and planted, doesn't feel like it's slipping about or going to lose control.

How heavy are these cars?

11. lefteye219

lefteye219 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In my ownership time of 2010 Prius (Base III), I had lived in Fargo, ND during winter and we had huge load of snow there... I had driven thru quite a few snow showers and heavy snow on road and never had issue. You have to observe the driving rules of snow while driving, maintain proper following distance and make sure you have good tread on the tires. During my time there, I was still on stock 15" Toyo wheels and had about 40K miles on them and never had any snow related issue

12. RyanM

RyanM Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have all seasons on my prius right now. I did have a 2nd set of winter tires but sold them to make garage space, plus the tires were old and worn.

While I do have a 2nd vehicle with winter tires I still drive the prius in snow and find that it does quite well.

Like others have said its best to just test it out and see how it does. I am not familiar with the douglas brand of tires. I usually buy Bridgestone, Cooper, or General's. Have used Michelin in the past as well.

13. Piotrus Pan

Piotrus Pan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Last week I've been with my wife on holidays in French "mountains" (1500m above sea level).
    A lot of snow, a lot of ice, I have winter tires but I still expected some problems. In the end, after a week there only ABS blinked and only once.
    All season tires won't have such a good grip but I don't think you need to wary much. Do what you normally do in winter, drive slower, expect ice even if you don't see it, brake earlier then usual. Worst situation is at water freezing point cause some of it will be frozen and some still be water running on the road so watch your outside temperature. If you have some steep hills you can look for some tire chains.
    Also do what others here propose, go to a safe place with the car on snow and ice and see when the car loses grip.

Mendel Leisk likes this.