1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Option Packages at NAIAS

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Vincent, Jan 24, 2009.

1. William B. Kayen

William B. Kayen New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Doug,

Thanks for listening to us. I understand the weight issue by not offering the sunroof with the platinum package. I can't understand why fog lamps will not be offered with the gold package. There isn't a weight issue here and would complete the car the way it should be. My '08 package 6 has fog lamps that are great and I would hate to give them up. They are a safety feature in bad weather and I want the new Prius to be as safe as the old one.

I have faith in Toyota reasoning with safety issues, and making the right decisions. I hope this request is addressed and remedied before the new car is released showing Toyata's commitment to safety.

2. twilsonchicago

twilsonchicago Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That's the crux of it, isn't it, that despite the promise of mass customization afforded by advanced manufacturing technology, we are hampered by out-of-date marketing and distribution models. Wouldn't it be cool if each of us could go to a Build-Your-Prius page and actually be able to pick and choose the options we want, without having to take other options we don't want. The car gets built. In a couple months it gets delivered, and it's exactly what we wanted. And wouldn't that kind of marketing/distribution model be better aligned with the ideals of sustainability that we all profess to support? And wouldn't it ultimately be better for Toyota sales, too?

I understand it's not an easy problem to crack. I read somewhere a while back that US consumer protection laws, which allow car buyers to back out of factory-order deals, are at least partly behind the practice of car companies only offering options in packages, to protect themselves from getting stuck with cars they can't sell.

Anyway, to add to the mix, a few comments about options:

Wheels: the 17"-ers look good and might even help change the car's image among enviro-skeptics, which is good. But if the weight, or rolling-weight effect, or rolling resistance effect, or aerodynamics, have an adverse effect on efficiency, then I'd want to understand the degree of that effect, and be able to opt out, independent of other option choices, especially if, in the trade off, I can get the solar roof, ACC and fog lamps.

Problem is, the wheel covers on the 15" wheels are, in my opinion, really ugly, and the ONLY thing on the 2010 that doesn't look better than what it replaces (except maybe the center console thingy--I haven't decided about that yet). Have you noticed on the 15" wheels that the goofy asymmetrical spokes aren't reversed on the other side of the car? That makes the asymmetry completely superfluous, even from an aesthetic perspective. My question is: Why not some nice, relatively light, 16-inchers with a sensible, elegant, spoke pattern, for the mid-range packages?

Solar roof: If this thing is really so heavy that it can't coexist with some, or all, combinations of the big rims plus advanced electronics, then I'd want to understand the efficiency ramifications of that, too. And another question is, how bad does driving with it open mess up aerodynamics.

Fog lamps: They look cool, and can be useful depending on conditions. But the main thing is, if you don't have them, there is a void where they should be that visually says: "Hey. There should be fog lamps here. The guy driving this car is cheap, and wouldn't even pay for the fog lamps that were supposed to be here."

Anyway, just some thoughts. Can't wait to see the car, and expect to be buying one later this year.

By the way, anyone know how I can get a last-minute invite to the Chicago event on Tuesday?

Tim

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What other people think of you is none of your business.
    You can work it out.

I have also wondered what is the MPG hit for carrying that heavy glass roof and what is the handling penalty?

4. jimlans

jimlans New Member

To twilsonchicago's point, the only car I know of that you can customize online for ordering is the Smart. While the Toyota web site let's you build and price a car with various option packages, the Smart web site let's you make a reservation ($99) and have the car shipped to the dealer. The number of options available is relatively small, however...but this is the Dell production model for cars, and I suspect it will catch on over time.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 17" wheels are also asymmetric. They are slightly different on the left and right side of the car so if you cross rotate, you better hope the tyre is taken out and re-mounted.

6. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Mini lets you customize the car down to just about the stitch pattern in the leather....

Go on their website if you'd like to lose an hour of your life looking at all the freaking options.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You do pay dear for the options though.

8. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

indeed, it is more expensive overall and not to mention that sometimes options get mixed up :).

9. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I agree.

I've always bought as close to the base model as I could....

That is what I loved about my 06. The base (in my region) came with a backup camera, mfd lcd, 3 door smart key system. Phenomenal value...

10. mirak

mirak New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    There's all sorts of tweaks I'd love to make to the packages, but I'd be satisfied with just one change:

Dump the solar/moonroof from Gold. Put it in a higher tier. And don't bump any of the other Gold features up to the solar/moonroof tier! I think we can assume that this upgrade alone is gonna cost several thousand dollars. I want the rest of the gold features without paying for the solar/moonroof. (Unfortunately, I suspect that this will go to a higher tier, but other gold features such as leather will go with it).

I would suggest two parallel Platinum tiers. Divide up the solar/moonroof and all other currently platinum features as you see fit.

Also, I'd love it if LED headlights moved down to "Gold" level, but I know that probably won't happen.

Finally, please limit the number of packages available (maybe 3-5) and pass the savings on to us.

11. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Folks, remember, Silver/Gold/Platinum are for the special pre-order folks only. They do represent SOME of the packages likely to be available, but not all inclusive.

It's already been stated that the solar moonroof will not be bundled w/ the other tech gear due to weight concerns.

Yes, we've all whined about it. No, Toyota doesn't intend to change it thus far.

12. fookie

fookie "The Stig"

Every car forum that I have ever been on has people complaining that they can't completely customize the options to their preferences, but even in the same post complain that the car costs too much. The US sales model (packages/grouped options) works because we demand lower prices first and foremost. The car manufacturers have to dramatically increase prices if cars were made-to-order.

I for one, don't mind grouped options to pay the prices we pay for cars. Just ask any of our international counterparts...

As for fog lights...I'm so tired of hearing about them. I think Toyota has your opinion, 200 times over.

13. fredthepostman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Anybody have a good guess as to how much the moon roof/solar panel would add to the silver package.Having no experience at all with solar panels, I have no idea what a solar panel would add to the moon roof.

14. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Differences in the preliminary package/price list that got yanked seemed to indicate $1,400 or $1,500.

15. fredthepostman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks! Is there any thing you guys don't know?:)

16. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    One or two, perhaps, such as: When will the Cubs win the World Series?

17. nicksone

nicksone New Member

geez... how complicate the things are... I stopped myself to buy a Tribeca because of this beautiful Prius. Green won again. But I see that a lot of speculation are on this forum regarding options. Let's wait until something official will appear and then we'll decide.
    Of course, as per Doug said, keep complaining BEFORE Toyota will take a decision...
    I am sure most of us will be satisfied.

18. ronlprius2

ronlprius2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a 2006 Prius with package 7 (everything except leather) and I test drove the 2010 Prius at an event in San Francisco. I really like the retractable moonroof and the solar cells to power a fan to keep the car cool when you leave it parked in the sun. However, there are a number of decisions which would make me avoid this model year like the plague:

- There is a new center console that intrudes into the passenger cabin and completely separates the driver and passenger seats, something like the console in a commercial jet.
    - The front cupholders have been moved from the front of the armrest to inside the armrest and the aux power and audio input are moved from the front wall of the compartment to the bottom so that a spill will go into the armrest compartment and into the power and audio jacks instead of onto the front mats. OUCH!
    - The back cupholders have been moved from the back of the front armrest to a new armrest built into the back seat. A spill will go onto the seats instead of onto the rear mats. OUCH AGAIN!
    - I hate leather seats with a vengeance. I won't even allow leather furniture into my house. In the 2010 Prius the cool electronics package is combined with leather. No leather, no cool electronics (Smart Key System, Auto-Dimming Mirror with Homelink, Voice-Activated Navigation System and Backup Monitor, Tilt/Slide Moonroof, Solar Powered Ventilation System, and Remote Air Conditioning System).
    - If forcing leather on you isn't bad enough, if you want the Fog Lamps, Intelligent Park Assist, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control with Pre-Collision System, and Lane Keep Assist, you have to give up the Moonroof and Solar Powered Ventilation System.
    - Still no side marker lights nor turn signals in the mirrors.

What the heck was Toyota thinking? I realize that you can't offer a hundred permutations, but Please separate leather from everything else and please make it possible to order the goodies in the Gold and Platinum packages together. Best of all possible worlds, allow a build-to-order option with ala-carte options. I don't mind waiting from my car!

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    a la carte will increase the price significantly. Just look at the Germans. They're starting to package stuff to decrease cost.

20. powrfuel

powrfuel New Member

Yea, you're right, don't buy one. That cupholder re-positing would be an issue for me as well. Damm, I hate when they do things like that! I'll take your place in line.