1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius or 2010 Camry Hybrid?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jamesktg, Oct 18, 2009.

1. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That's a very good question!

They both have their merits. I'd rent both for a week to see how you feel. I had often said (with all sincerity) that I'd be in a Camry hybrid LOADED if it wasn't for the HOV stickers on my Prius.

As a few of you know, I was rear ended in my Prius 2007 and my car was in the body shop for a month or so. I rented a Camry hybrid from my on-site TRAC rental office for that month and I have reversed my stance --- I would not buy a hybrid Camry over a gen III 2010 Prius. I missed a lot about the Prius that I never realized I would! But, that said, you may not have previously had these things to miss... so you might be fine with a TCH.

Things I liked that my 2007 doesn't have:
    Seat heaters
    Sunroof
    larger seat bottoms
    power seats
    a bluetooth that NEVER dropped calls for no apparent reason ;)
    a GREAT ride as compared to my car

Things I missed/didn't like
    Minimal trunk space in TCH - I missed my hatchback!
    Fuel economy! Camry - best I could get in normal daily commute was 36-38. (No carpool lane, darn it) My Prius gets 50+ and with my commute, you really notice the extra expense for fiuel.
    Being asked "do you like your Prius..." weekly by folks who are in the market. The Camry is a tad benign in appearance. No one asked me if I liked my hybrid.

That's just off the top of my head. If my car had been a 2010 III there would have been a definite "no way Jose" to the comparison.
    Dianne

2. docbooks

docbooks Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am looking at buying a 2006 Prius but also may consider the 2010's of both models -- the thing that is swaying me toward the Prius is the vast number of engineers working on and selling the plug-in conversions kits (which I intend to install because of potential fuel availability issues going forward). I can't find any conversions available for the Camry as of today.

3. walter592

walter592 Junior Member

If your even considering a Camry Hybrid you need to take a Ford Fusion Hybrid for a test drive it is superior in almost every way. I needed a hatchback so I went with the Prius. Else I would have bought a Fusion.

1 person likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While that is true, there are Camry Hybrid cabs in Canada too. And Corollas, and regular Camry, Jettas, Altimas, Mazda3s, Civic Hybrids. What about Crown Vics, Grand Marquis', Tauruses?

In Europe, there are 5 Series, E-Classes, A6s as cabs. In Asia, Lancers, Corollas, Cedrics, Accords.

Frankly, I don't buy that argument any more. I used to. But then I figured taxi companies nowadays seem to be able to use any car they want so I figured if I believed that, then I've limited my choices of cars.