1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Owners - High Mileage and No Oil Issues

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by orenji, Aug 12, 2016.

1. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This link will enlighten you, thanks to another Priuschat member who posted this in another thread!
    Oil Quality Matters - Bulk Oil Locations Fail Standards More | Tundra Headquarters Blog

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks for posting.

In reading this, it sounds like part of what api does ( probably similar to ISO) is test for compliance. Sounds like in 2013 they were finding one out of five audits were failures. On the surface, this seems alarming.

Now think of all the various oil change places out there. Are they all reputable and one where you would take your car? How long have they been in business and how old is there equipment? Do they have old tanks that might not get inspected or cleaned? Do they monitor tank levels and know inventory turnover? Who actually were the culprits? Is it a chain? Is it in a specific geographic location?what is the penalty for not being API compliant? Do consumers even know or care?

The article may lead to some conclusions or plant seeds, but IMO it leaves some questions un answered. @Mendel Leisk might be able to answer in his specific case if the api donut is displayed at the dealer he uses. I know on the 5 quart Mobil one I buy, the API starburst is displayed. But is it what it says it is? I know I am not testing it, so I cannot be sure.

I guess if I was burned in my past, I might be more critical, but coming from a family where my old man would buy whatever oil was the cheapest (typically Wolfshead :confused:) and getting 150 k on a car was thought to be good, my view is jaded.

My view has changed some and I buy mobile one and have a 98 4Runner with 255 k and running strong (not consuming any oil) along with the 2010 with 140 k on it, but my radar isn't as high as others with regards to suspicions.

Thank you for the evening read. I will keep buying mobile one 5 quarts at a time when it is on sale at Amazon:).

orenji likes this.