1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius pictures everywhere! - 56k beware!

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by spwolf, Jan 11, 2009.

1. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

yeah, added to the front page here too (2nd post)... hybrid battery seems smaller now, trunk space bigger... leather quality and carpeted trunk looks expensive :).

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    spwolf, did any of the pics you found show solar panels in high res? If they did im sure youd have shown them by now (sits biting nails if it'll in faact have solar now) lol

3. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

Still do not like the center council/shifter!!!. Still do not like the offset spedometer. Still do not like the GPS display at the dangerously low position!!

I see that the HSD display is now integrated into the upper panel, and its MONOCHROME, and SMALLER -- BIG STEP BACKWARDS - DANGEROUS TO USE IN TRAFFIC!!

4. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

OH OH!! Looks like people who do not opt for the GPS do not get a center console screen at ALL! Looks like they get old-fashioned manual (read non-hackable!!!!!) radio controls panel instead!!

STATUS SYMBOL ENGINEERING IN PLAY!

5. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

nope... we know it is getting both hud and solar from press release leaked on japanese site... so dont worry about that.

6. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I actually like it in the lower position, gives the dash a much better look. I wouldnt call it dangerously low either.

7. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Very true, just gotta hope it isn't made late availability...

8. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

The more I look at this new interior the MORE DISGUSTED I get. It seems to me that just because they did a semi-incomplete job of programming the center display ergonomically, and heard a whole bunch about that, they took the thing out COMPLETELY. STUPID STUPID STUPID!! What they really needed was a half-way decent program architect/human machine interface designer, instead of apparently leaving that up to the coder!!! Now they put all that money into that monstrosity! What a Waste!! That is your $1K of the $2K price increase right there!

I would rather have the Lexus exhaust heat recovery system, and left the car with the Gen 2 Prius controls!!!

9. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, let us know when you become a transportation designer so you can design the next Prius to be the way you want.

10. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Donee, it is "console" ... not "council"!!

11. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Yes we know.

Your views have been noted several times. However, if one is lost and 50 are gained then that seems like a success. You might consider raining on another parade.

12. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks Ron...

13. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Dead...,

Welp, that is your opinion. I think the oppsoite will happen. The Prius was such a success because it was true to its design goals. This new interior is contrary to the design goal of a minimum cost high mileage general purpose transportation 21 st century car. Its goes back to 1980's state of the European glitz , ala Jaquar. A company that is not making money, I might add.

14. Kapena Gary

Kapena Gary New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  15. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i think Citroen had first lane departure warning system, where it would vibrate your seat, maybe 2 years ago or so... new Crown got it last February (2008), and since precrash will be basically mandatory for any car that wants 5 stars in EuroNCAP, Toyota is now bundling PreCrash/LaneDeparture/LanekeepAssist/RadarDistanceControl in one system... its there in Prius, Avensis, HS250h and RX... its going to be there in every car in the future.... yay!

16. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It looks like Toyota has significantly improved the Prius interior. Nice two-tone, better material, and better ergonomics. All the hybrid information has gone up to the forward display just under the windshield. You no longer have to take your eyes so far off the road to check what the hybrid system is doing.

The touchscreen is GONE!!! It is good to see that they killed that failed experiment. Real controls with buttons and knobs!

My only complaint is that the display should be directly in front of the driver, not centered in the car. That and still no tachometer.

Edit: I hope the leave all the new toys as options. I have no use for radar, a moonroof, or LED headlights. Cruise control, power windows, power doors locks, and power mirrors, tilt & telescope wheel, and a manual adjustable driver's seat, are all I require.

17. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It does look as though Toyota has dispensed with the drum brakes at the rear on this new iteration of the Prius. I was very surprised to find that the second Prius version retained drum brakes at the rear wheels. I thought they went out decades ago. I find it difficult to believe that a pair of modern, well designed discs can be that much more expensive, or heavier, than a pair of equivalent drum brakes. Also parts commonality with the front disc brakes would be beneficial too, wouldn't it?

18. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    jhinton,

+1. I guess we'll still have to get a ScanGauge to see RPMs, IGN, INJ, etc.

It would be a crime to goober up that smoth dash with the current version SG.

I wonder if there will soon be a SG III in a cleaner, smoother case, and while
    we're dreaming, a hi-res display to match the OEM displays.

19. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

you do understand that there is touchscreen for nav and few other things, right? Just not for AC (like on most newer Toyotas)...

of course there will be base version...

20. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It should be illegal to sell a car without a tachometer. Illegal !
    With more and more cell phones following suit of the iPhone, touch screens have improved significantly and will inevitably end up everywhere. Don't worry if you had a touch screen in the past that was below par. The new ones are much better than the old.

As far as your options list, after driving my Corolla with manual windows and power mirrors (standard setup on base Corolla), my ideal car would have manual controls on the driver door and mirror, and electric controls on the passenger side. (it's dangerous to reach across while in motion, yet I often find that manual on the drivers side is quicker and more efficient than electric).