1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jeremy trimble, Oct 7, 2018.

1. jeremy trimble

jeremy trimble New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Purchased a used 2010 Prius last year with around 80k miles on it. Now im up to around 95k miles and starting to experience some issues. Earlier this week my car started to feel a little bit bouncier than usual. At first I thought it could be a flat, but after checking all my tires I was stumped. Now I’m noticing a few new things. First off I’m noticing that the acceleration doesn’t seem to be as sensitive as it has been in the past. Second, I’m noticing that as soon as I take my foot off of the brake, the battery starts to charge, something that I don’t really remember happening before. Lastly, the brakes are seeming to be less sensitive than before. All of this could just be me being a bit paranoid after having the last car I bought break down. I’m wondering if anybody knows what these issues could be caused by? My guess is something either with the suspension or the brakes? Praying it’s nothing too serious or expensive. Any help would be appreciated this is my first time posting on here. Thanks.

2. go_prius

go_prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Jeremy, I’ve had three 3rd generation priuses, (2010, 2013, 2012) the first two I bought with under 30k on them, but my most recent one I purchased with 90k on it. First off, expect to begin burning oil between oil changes right about now (95k), both my 2012 (now with 105k) and my cousins 2010 (with about 180k) burn a significant amount of oil over 5000 miles, typically to where you can’t see it on the dipstick when it’s time to change, you might not run completely out of oil between oil changes, however, consider assessing your situation. I found using high mileage mobile 1 5-20w helps. Secondly, eco mode becomes weaker in my opinion right around 100k miles, to where you feel like your foots in it for highway driving, and you can’t speed up to a yellow light and expect to make it like you used to. Power mode fixes this, however even power mode has a lag in it that my other two with low miles didn’t have. Brakes, my 2012 wines every time my foot is off the brake. The car is supposed to charge any time your foot isn’t on the brake, however as the car gains miles this wine becomes more noticeable. My brakes are much less sensitive than they used to be in my other lower mile pri, sometimes I have to really push on them just to stop, while the lower miles pri would jolt the car with a tap of the brakes. Also the suspension gets skittle squeaky getting in and out of the car at the mileage your at. I attribute it all to age, also the car seems to run smoother in cool evenings (say 62 degrees F). Another thing to note is the gas mileage of my most recent priuses averages higher than the other ones I’ve had (44 vs 40-42) this could be due to the cars history or some change due to loosening up after so many miles. Tires have a lot to do with it. So to recap the acceleration isn’t as sensitive, the brakes require more pressure to stop (perhaps try replacing brake pads, they might be pretty worn at 95k, I might need to change mine) also refer to your owners Manuel, there’s a whole list of service that needs done at 100k miles, such as brakes, spark plugs and fluid changes. Also I couldn’t tell you why, but after owning a 2010, and my cousin owning a 2010 and talking to friends who own 2010’s they seem to get lower gas mileage than the half model newer 2012’s-2015’s averaging roughly 39mpg vs 42-46. If you or anyone else has found this to be true or not the case please comment. Hope this helps!

3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Our 2010 with 190 k miles on it gets 50 mpg.

I’ve cleaned the egr circuit stem to stern and that helps the mpg stay elevated. I also recondition the hv battery, which also gets the battery back to like new condition.

Some things to consider (y).

Grit, bisco and Bay Stater like this.
  4. MCCABE Yohe

MCCABE Yohe New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    What service has been done to this car? Do you know when the last time it had the air filter changed? Has it ever had the plugs replaced? What oil do you use? Also, at 100k I would better the suspension is shot. I haven't seen any of my prius's over 60k that didnt need a complete suspension overhaul. Also, are you on factory brakes? If so you may be looking at new pads and rotors.

5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Fake news. Bring back Alex Jones!

#5 Grit, Nov 4, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    See post #3 to restore FE.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If my suspension felt so bouncy I could not live with it, I would take it for an inspection. Same with the brakes. Otherwise, I would just drive it, except for cleaning the egr.

Keep your eye on the battery icon, if it sets rising and falling rapidly, consider a prolong conditioner

8. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I own a 2010 with 168K~ Level 3 trim. I would like to say that I get about 39mpg too, maybe a little less on stock psi. I found that if I put it at 46F 44R I can get better mpg, but it becomes scary in cold rain. I have cheap walmart tires, Douglas all seasons 195/65-15. I put a can of techron in and about half way though the tank after that I noticed, or think I noticed a mpg increase. (it could be my daily commute somehow or days I went out) I think I did about a 4k oil change and the oil used to be way over the dipstick and ended up being below the low line at change. I think it was about 2 quarts it burned in 4k miles. I thought my car used to feel bouncier, then one day it felt like someone replaced the dampers on it. I've recently lowered my tire psi and it feels a bit bouncier, but not like what I remember. My suspension doesn't seem to squeak, but unknown things in the cabbin seem to rattle. (thought it was the windows as they roll down just a hair, but still sealed)

The only things with brakes for me, is that when braking and then hitting a series of bumps, I think the regen brakes cut out and then it switched to the physical, so you have to press harder on the brake pedal. Can be a bit scary as it feels like the brakes are going out or something. I have had at least 2 times where the regen brakes stick. Like I will be driving and then I let off the gas and instead of regen being barely active, it goes about 1/4-1/3 active. I think I just played with both my pedals to get it to stop. I've also noticed that in the rain, my brakes vary quite a bit on how much I have to press them, to be smooth and get a consistent deceleration. (I found out how to use abs in the rain... lock them up and then back off enough so it's not locking (abs) them up anymore, you will stop faster. The manual warns abs doesn't work well in the rain) In the times I've used abs, I could never tell if my rear wheels were locking up.

Eco mode only changes the throttle pedal input curve and limits the a/c blower fan by 1 notch, as far as I know. Trying to explain throttle input curve here. Say normal would be something like you press the pedal half way 50% and that would actually tell the car you are pressing it 75 % PWR could be something like 50% pedal = 100% car, eco uses more of the pedal travel, 50% might actually be 50% car and 100% pedal is 100% car. Have you ever noticed that the last bit of travel in the throttle pedal seems to do nothing? I guess it would be called a deadzone.

My prius acceleration seems to vary. When it's cold its slower, sometimes its some time even after the ac blows hot air that I get full power, other times it that and I have to be going over 55mph to get full power. I've noticed when I'm going 75mph and hammer down, this little car hauls for 100hp. It's said that the gas engine runs at a lower rpm in the cold until it's warm and uses more electric motor, as gas engine will get worse mpg while cold. But if you need to floor it, it will floor it while cold... but it doesn't seem very fast when I do it.

I know how you feel about paranoia. For me its my alignment as I messed it up turning over a pothole. I keep thinking it's getting worse. The other is people getting close to me that I think they rear end me... It doesn't help that it looks like new marks keep getting added to my rear bumper.

9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Let’s wait to see if anyone with a 2016 Prius or newer will chime in about their gen 4, it might help. There’s been a lot of them coming here posting 4 gen info here lately.