1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius radio showing garbled text and ejecting CDs

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by gobears81, Jul 29, 2013.

1. gobears81

gobears81 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2010 Prius (model III) that has begun doing this thing (just one month after the 3-year warranty expired) where the radio shows garbled stuff when the Prius starts up. It also starts automatically ejecting the CD. Pressing the buttons doesn't help. To fix the problem, you need to restart the Prius.

This only happens once in a while, but it is starting to happen more frequently.

Does anyone else have this problem? A picture is attached showing this problem.

Tags: on the fritz, triangles, display, muddle, jumble, not working, messed up, unreadable, compact disc, compact disk.

Attached Files:

2. nklb

nklb Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If it really is just one month after the warranty ended, you may want to ask if the toyota dealership will help you anyway. You may be surprised.

gobears81 likes this.
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ugh...bad timing.

I would say that the first easiest step might be just to talk to your Toyota Dealership Repair Center. If you're lucky, maybe you could get some support, so close to warranty expiration...or if you are lucky, maybe they have seen the problem before and it's a cheap and easy fix..."maybe".

If not, you get the "Fun" of investigating replacement options. If it can't easily or cheaply be repaired, I'd definitely take the opportunity to upgrade.

Every vehicle I have owned for an extended period of time, I have taken the approach that I enjoy the OEM audio system as long as possible, but I take breakdown as a sign from the universe that it is time to upgrade.

If you like the system as is? You hope to get a few years beyond the expiration of the warranty. That's bad luck.

The other option of course is simply to live with it as it deteriorates. Kind of takes CD's out of the loop.

Here's hoping you get some good luck.

gobears81 likes this.
  4. bathala

bathala Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I'm like The Electric Me. Wait for anything to break past its warranty and use it to justify the upgrade. I understand that not everyone can afford to spend more on their car. If you're the latter, I wish you luck with the dealer and hope they'll consider your situation. Otherwise, another OEM from ebay or junk shop might be your next option.

5. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Try running a cleaning disc through it and see if that helps. I assume this only happens when a disc is in the drive?

6. gobears81

gobears81 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for your feedback. I set up an appointment tomorrow with the dealership. I think the discussion will mostly revolve around the photo and video.

If they won't repair it under warranty, I'll see if it happens again if no discs are ever stored inside. I think there is a circuity problem inside the audio system.

7. gobears81

gobears81 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was charged $67 from the dealer just to look at the car.
    They are saying I need a new radio that will cost $450.

This is terrible. I'm most likely never buying a Toyota again after this experience.

8. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    How about answering the question:
    Does this only happen when a CD is in the drive? If so, try the cleaning disc option. You could be looking at an error with reading the disc, was my point. Recordable discs are well known for giving fits to players. If it happens with no disc in the drive, then yes you might need a new unit.

9. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As the car is 3, check the 12v battery, weirder things have been know to happen when the 12v is low on umph and 3 years is about it's tour of duty;)

If you truly do need a new head unit, crutchfield isn't a bad place to start

10. Radiospank

Radiospank Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah my radio does this too but I suspect the voltage from my amp has some effect on this.

11. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Surely another option is to seek a second hand unit from a wreckers? I'm past 100k and my audio unit is still same as new. You can't predict how these things last.

12. gobears81

gobears81 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Great advice, thanks a lot! I don't believe the problem is from how the system is reading CD's. Nonetheless, I'll leave the CD's out of the unit for a few weeks to see if it happens again.
    I like the idea about looking for a second hand unit from a wreckers.

13. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Unfortunately the same thing happens to me minus the CD ejection, right when it was 3 months out of warranty. The radio works fine but the display is either blank or garbled from time to time. Seems to be worse in extreme temperatures above 80 degrees with high humidity. When it's garbled I turn it off then on, seems to help fix it. When it's blank I lightly tap the upper right hand corner of the radio and it lights up normal. I'll just live with it till it dies then replace it with a used one or after market.

gobears81 likes this.
  14. gobears81

gobears81 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for commenting, Fore! Even without any CDs inside, it still fails as shown in my video. I also think it has something to do with heat and/or humidity.
    At least we got a car wash when it was reviewed by the dealer for $67! Haha!

15. robertk328

robertk328 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had this happen with mine before as shown in the video below. It eventually worked itself out and hasn't occurred again. It's been almost 2 years and hasn't had any issues.

gobears81 likes this.
  16. gobears81

gobears81 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's awesome! It hasn't happened in a week or so. Thanks for commenting. I hope it goes away on ours as well.

17. Sioul

Sioul New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

18. Troy Clark

Troy Clark New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    my experience in short terms is that these radios are garbage and yes im speaking from personal experience.

19. jamrog

jamrog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to same thing happening to my 2010. I live in Mass so I first stated noticing it in the Cold weather, not Hot. My remedy is to turn the defrosters on and that seems to warm it up in about 10 minutes and it works again. I can use the Steering wheel controls to listen to the radio because all the radio buttons just seem to turn the unit on and off. I'm skeptical about the battery voltage suggestion but will put a voltmeter on it and keep and eye on it.

20. techno-Zen

techno-Zen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is happening to me, very intermittent - frustrating and not covered under my warranty. I don't really use any info on the screen so I don't really think it's worth paying $400+ to repair.

Sucks nice person though :(