1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius rear wheels are locked up

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by OahuPrius, Sep 3, 2022.

1. OahuPrius

OahuPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    2010 Toyota Prius I just changed the brake booster. I have a C1345 "Linear Solenoid Valve Offset learning undone". 1) The Prius there is a outline around P when in Drive and Reverse. 2) Car's Brakes are locked.
    3) On the left Yellow fault: Could it be "Skid ECU" that is causing the wheels to lock.

#1 OahuPrius, Sep 3, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How are they locked? Is the brake actuator applying fluid pressure? If you loosen the bleed screw on one or the other rear caliper, while no one is applying the brake but the wheels are locked, does fluid squirt out under pressure?

Do such a test carefully, making sure fluid can't spray on you from the bleed screw. While I've never heard of a case where the system is actually applying pressure with the brakes unapplied, if it is, the fluid pressure can be high enough to direct-inject through skin, which can require amputation if not treated as an immediate surgical emergency.

If it's not fluid pressure, perhaps the mechanical parking brakes are bound up.

OahuPrius likes this.
  4. OahuPrius

OahuPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Bisco; This is good information thank you. I will first check the voltage on my 12v battery. I also was thinking that I do not have the tools to properly bleed the brakes and/or calibrate the 1)Skid control ECU 2)Brake actuator 3)Brake pressure sensor.

bisco likes this.
  5. OahuPrius

OahuPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    ChapmanF; Thank you for your reply

The part is New from the Toyota dealer

#5 OahuPrius, Sep 5, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2022
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you find that your rear wheels are locked, and you want to know why, a first step will be to know in what way they are locked: by hydraulic pressure, or by the mechanical parking brakes. Post #3 suggests a way to find out.

7. OahuPrius

OahuPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    ChapmanF; it is not mechanical pressure. I can bleed the brakes and 5 minutes later the brake are slowly locking up.
    bisco sent me that above document.
    Check on 12V battery confirm that the battery is Good.
    PERFORM INITIALIZATION AND CALIBRATION OF LINEAR SOLENOID VALVE (When Using the Techstream)
    NOTICE:
    If the brake booster with master cylinder has been replaced, or the brake booster pump or brake master cylinder reservoir has been replaced, linear solenoid valve learning will be automatically performed during the Bleed Brake System procedure .
    (a) Clear the stored linear solenoid valve calibration data.
    (1) Turn the power switch off.
    (2) Check that the steering wheel is centered.
    (3) Check that park (P) is selected.
    (4) Connect the Techstream to the DLC3.
    (5) Turn the power switch on (IG).
    (6) Turn the Techstream on.
    (7) Select the skid control ECU to clear the linear solenoid valve calibration data using the Techstream. Enter
    the following menus: Chassis / ABS/VSC/TR...

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do you still have the C1345 code (or blink code 66 on the ((!)) light)?

Yes, if so, you need to complete the offset learning procedure that bisco sent you. Those codes should be gone after you complete it.

The next question will be, once it is successfully completed and those codes are gone, do you still experience the rear-brake issue?

9. OahuPrius

OahuPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Maybe this is a dumb question but...is it possible to buy a techstream scanner? Do you know where?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you need a mini vci (amazon) and a compatible laptop. it's fairly complicated if you aren't tech savvy, but there's a ton of threads here with advice

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There is also a thread here where you can find recommendations for other scan tools, and which ones will allow you to run various brake system procedures.

There is also a "When not Using the Techstream" version of the linear solenoid calibration procedure, included in the repair manual section that bisco attached in post #2.