1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Rearview Mirror Obstructs My View Even When Pushed All the Way Up

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, Mar 6, 2010.

?
  1. Yes, and I'm over 6ft tall

13 vote(s)
    17.1%
  2. No, and I'm over 6ft

13 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. Yes, and I'm under 6ft

19 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. No, and I'm under 6ft

31 vote(s)
    40.8%
  1. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This has been irritating here as well - from day 1 when pulling out of the dealer's lot.
    I'm 6', and coming from an SUV, like to sit a bit higher I'd guess. But with the seat adjusted to my liking, my hair is about 3" from the headliner - the rearview mirror is consistently blocking clear view of objects in that right/front area. I need to lower my head/eyes when making right turns, etc. And the A pillars appear to be a bit thicker than "other cars" and the long pitch places them more into front/side view blockage. So I see myself moving my head around when making turns to check those blind spots.
    I see why Toyota could not have mounted the mirror any higher as the view angle to the rear would cut off some vision.
    But I do wish they would have foreseen this issue and placed the Homelink control buttons above the mirror.

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had my rearview mirror inverted as shown below up until today 3/13/10. The view of cars behind on freeway was a little abbreviated, so I flipped it rightside up again, carefully. The view underneath the mirror is very good in the 2009 as well as out the rear window. Height adjustable seat makes it all better.

050705 054.jpg

I think there is hope for improvement in the new Prius mirror, if Toyota will work on it.

3. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree that it can block views. I think part of this is how stream-lined the front end of the car is. For one, you sit quite a bit back from the windshield that most other cars, which decreases your ease of vision ahead of the car. The windshield also seems to be a little smaller than on the G2 models. This being the vertical size, because width wise the car basically stayed the same. I keep my seat higher up, because I never liked sitting down and having my backside sit lower than my knees. It's just not comfortable for me.

I do agree, though, that the mirror could be moved higher. Typically, there is a base piece that is "glued" to the windshield and the rest of the mirror slides onto this piece. I've had instances in other vehicles where the base fell and I had to buy the windshield mounting concoction from the store to re-mount it. I would imagine that you could remove this and mount the mirror higher up on the windshield. I would expect some "goo-gone" stuff could remove the adhesive and then you could just rub down the windshield with some rubbing alcohol to clean it and then re-mount the sucker. Anyone wanna try and let us know how it works??

4. Wiserone

Wiserone Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I crashed my Prius a day after I got it. My windshield cracked in the crash and I am instructing the body shop to go ahead and mount the mirror as high up as possible.

5. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've noticed this is an issue in more and more cars I've driven in from various manufacturers. I don't know why.
    I guess I've gotten used to noticing half a car or half a person as folks have suggested, and don't consider it a horrible problem any more.
    As I've said elsewhere, I think the blind spots created by the non-glass parts of the Prius body are a problem, especially on the right and at night (given that there seems to be a time when, no matter how I adjust the mirrors, the headlights have disappeared from the side mirror but don't really appear yet to my limited perhipheral vision as putting the other car beside me). That bothers me a lot more.

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is one way to getter done! :D Could you take a picture of the base when it is finished and what you think of it in the new position? Thanks.

7. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Keep in mind they have to make room for the LKA camera (for the ATP/Tech package) in the overhead console directly above the mirror, so it's going hang a bit lower in order not to block the camera, especially if they standardizes this height across the board and don't use a different height for trims without the AT package. It's not like Toyota can simply take your suggestion to mount it higher, unless they find an alternative location for the LKA camera.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

The mirrors aren't made by Toyota. They're made by Gentex. They're the same ones you'll find in.. oh.. 99% of the cars out there with auto-dimming mirrors. Of course there are different types (with compass, with Homelink, with compass & homelink, with compass and outside temp gauge, with backup camera & homelink etc etc)

9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll see if I can take a photo someday from the driver's seat with that thing hanging in the way. Better than taking a photo from the backseat which proves nothing.

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to add a couple photos from the driver's seat in a 2010 IV.

I'll see what kind of traction this gains among yesterday's news of the runaway Gen2.

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can I get some more votes for this poll? Do your best please, thanks.

* I'm adding a pic taken in my 2009 to compare with the 2010.

12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I talked to an auto glass shop last week, and he believes glass mounted mirrors have a bracket embedded into the glass, so glueing in another location doesn't seem doable. He thought some type of adapter might bring the mirror up higher, but I'll bet no one makes such a thing.

13. ibnird

ibnird New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you stand inside the car and look at where the mirror attaches from outside the car, there is no obvious bracket. It really does look like it is just glued.
    Now of course times change, but when I had the windshield replace on my 1980s Honda Civic the mirror did just glue on. I remember because it fell off while I was driving! It seems also that it would be far cheaper to go with glue than embedding brackets in the glass manufacturing process.

Anybody know for sure?

14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Glass / body shop techs would know.

15. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I flipped my 2009 Homelink rearview mirror rightside up today while in San Ramon to get a better view of cars behind me on the freeway.

View underneath the mirror is very good and I'm posting a good picture in the first post to prove that.

Well, here's the pic also ...

Keep in mind, this 2009 has a height adjustable seat ... it was that or sell the car ASAP, so I built it.

050705 131.jpg

This is what I see looking towards the mirror ... has to be since the view out the rear window is the same. Good view out the back and underneath (helps when you have a height adjustable seat :cool: )

16. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know how much the rearview mirror can be moved up while still being able to see cars far enough behind out the rear window.

But, for the modaholics around here, it appears the mirror stem and/or base plastic could be shaved a little bit, allowing the mirror to adjust higher.

That's only a suggestion, not recommending. ;)

17. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Like CycleDrum, I flipped my mirror upside down (rotated it 180') so that it is higher up. That was something I read early on in PriusChat after I bought my Prius, and it really helped me adjust to it. The downside of this is the night-dimming toggle doesn't work, but I never used that much anyway.

A couple other useful hacks included removing the tab in the rear wiper so I can lift it up all the way when washing the window, and adding a small paper blocker to get rid of the green glow on the windshield at night (not sure if that still exists in the 2010). Now if I could just improve the view around the front pillars when taking a corner.

(I didn't answer the poll because I have a 2006, not a 2010).

18. Blizzard10

Blizzard10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know exactly what you mean. I'm 6'2" also but i dont have the mirror problem in the prius. My seat is all the way back, all the way down and fully upright.

One of the first things I look at when I'm car shopping or driving someone else car is if I can see through the windshield or if the mirror is blocking my view.

Like you said, it can be a big annoyance when trying look ahead right or up a right corner

Many years a ago I needed room for the kids but didnt want a mini van. We went looking at mid size SUVs. I had the mirror problem in every one exept the ones out of my price range.

I gave up and bought a Maxima, loved that car :D

19. kremlin

kremlin Prius is a religion, not a car

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am 6"2" -- and in my 6 month Prious ownership **magically** avoided accidents because of this mirror. Three times I did not see cars at the intersections, "hiding" behind the mirror, and once I almost ran over a teen kid, crossing the street and I was turning left... Way too scary. So I totally agree with you, cycledrum --location of this mirror DOES impose a big problem for me.

20. TonyC

TonyC New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    2010 Prius Gen III dangerous front blind-spot in right front quadrant caused by rearview mirror AND thick A-pillar.

After 3 months of ownership I have had 4-5 near misses at intersections with other vehicles. Blind spot at between 12-3 O’Clock due to windshield mounted mirror combined with A-pillar. I am 6’0†with seat adjusted all the way back, height up (top of head 1†from headliner), incline at near perpendicular – bad lower back aggravated by poor seats with little to no lumbar support.

Never a problem with any car over 35 years of driving including wife’s current 2010 Camry, multiple Volvos, Taurus and others.

Based on other posts (thank you) I flipped non-Homelink mirror which helped somewhat. Also, pivoted articulated arm upward to get max height. Still 1†available above mirror and below headliner. Will pay to have professional remount mirror higher – again for safety. Too dangerous not to do this for others and self/occupants, especially in small, lightweight car.

Love other suggestions.