1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Recall Software Update Experiences

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Danny, Feb 10, 2010.

1. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I spoke w/ the Denver regional service manager about this a couple of days ago - there are no plans to change this because they still want you to come in every 5k miles for other non-oil work (tire rotation, brake inspection, etc.). There will be things at 15k, 45k, 75k, 105k, etc due as well that would come at off-10k mile intervals. Having a 5k reminder "helps" with that.

2. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I just got back from the brake ECU reprogramming in my 2010 Prius. At least I believe my ECU was reprogrammed. I arrived about 10 minutes early for a 10:15 AM appointment and did the paperwork. In addition to the brake fix, I asked if they could toggle the backup and seatbelt beeps from continuous to the minimums. The service guy said "that's impossible." I told him that it is described in the owners manual and is reset using the same computer that reprograms the brakes. He made a phone call and added the items to my invoice, at no charge.

It is a beautiful day in So. California, so I walked around the dealership and the surrounding area until 11:45 AM, when I received a phone call that my car was being washed and would be ready in a couple of minutes. I walked back to the dealership and arrived at the cashier around 12:05 PM. I was told that “they are washing your car right now" and waited another 25 minutes. I asked the cashier to check on the status of my car and she said, they are bringing it around right not. About 5 minutes later, my car drove up to the service area. It was evident that it had not been washed. I went back to the service department and reported the problem (dirty car and long wait). They drove it to the carwash area and about 35 minutes later my car was ready for pickup.

While I waited for the carwash, I confirmed that the paperwork reported that the brakes had been reprogrammed (OP Code 0508B2) and that the seatbelt and backup beeps had been changed to minimum beeps. As soon as my car arrived, I got in, closed the door and pushed the start button, without securing my seatbelt. The seatbelt beep sounded continuously, as did the backup beep when I moved the lever to reverse. I repeated the process and confirmed that the beeps had not been changed. I went back to the service department again and, after they reviewed the paperwork, was assured that everything had been done correctly. I asked for the customer service director and about 15 minutes later, she arrived. I told her that three of the four issues that I had been told were completed had not been done as they had been described (carwash, backup beep, seatbelt beep) and that I was not confident that the brake reprogram had been done properly. She apologized, left for about 15 minutes. When she returned, she told me that the service manager was confirming that my car had been serviced properly. A few minutes later, she received a telephone call and told me that my car was ready to go and that the beeps were NOW working properly. I asked if they had confirmed that the brake reprogram had been done properly and she answered that "it has also been done." When I asked if it had been done properly the first time, she stated that she "didn't ask, but it has been done.” She apologized again and gave me a $20 gas card for my trouble. I figure that’s about $4.00 per hour for my wait.

I appreciate having the annoying beeps minimized, although I have no confidence in the service department at my local dealership. I have never encountered the alleged brake problem and can feel no difference in my brakes after this experience. Although I have an receipt that states that the brake ECU was reprogrammed, that same receipt states that the backup and seatbelt beeps were also reprogrammed. I will be delighted if the Scangauge group can identify codes that can confirm the brake ECU reprogramming. After this fiasco, I will not be returning, for service, to this Toyota dealer.

2 people like this.
  3. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Rick,
    Thanks. That's consistent with what the local service guy told me. Hate to admit it, but I'm willing to go 10K miles before rotating tires. And to have the car keep saying Oil Change Needed when it's not so is a bit annoying. But not horrible.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So I scheduled the upgrade and 10k stuff:

• A0B - applied and it seems to have some effect braking in a pothole (see poll under Main forum)
    • changed oil - huh? It looks like they didn't over fill
    • rotated tires - huh? It looks like they didn't let the air out
    I'm shocked they hadn't overfilled with oil nor let the air out of the tires. Total cost ~$70 and an hour and half ... but I brought my laptop and diagnosed another problem. The dog was a little bored but we went to the nature trail later.

Bob Wilson

5. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am now thoroughly flashed and recalled. Like others here, my dealer went out of their way to call me and set up an appointment. The service manager personally baby sat the procedure and made sure I got in and out quickly, even though it was a very busy Saturday morning for them and I was a little late getting there. I was done in half an hour, including a carwash. I have not noticed any change in brake feel, and have not yet had a chance to go over the bumpy spot on my commute where I sometimes felt the phenomena.

That was so much fun, I decided to get my wife's HyCam floor mat recall taken care of the same day. A much longer procedure, since it involves pulling back the carpet and replacing a bit of the flooring material beneath the pedal with thinner material. Service guy thought they would also do something to the pedal too, but I forgot to ask later (I thought I remembered reading that wasn't necessary on the hybrids). I haven't driven it yet, but my wife didn't have any comments. We dropped it off and picked it up without any hassle.

During the course of the HyCam procedure, the mechanic noticed the carpeting was extremely and unnaturally thin in places. After consulting with Gulf States Toyota and without any prior discussion with me, they decided to replace the entire front carpet for free, even though the car is out of warranty. They've ordered the part, so I'll have to take the car back later.

I personally think both these recalls have been way overblown by the media, but major kudos to Fred Haas Toyota World and Gulf States Toyota for the way they handled my personal recall issues, and are apparently handling their other customer's recall issues. :rockon: :cheer2:

6. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Here in Germany I have still not received any information (mail/call) from my dealer. I have asked them about it via email and told me they still don't know when they will call me for fixing an appointment.
    The thing that annoys me instead is that although Toyota EU has acknowledged that the FM radio does have noise issues (also acknowledged from the dealer's mechanic and Toyota Germany), I still did not get it fixed. They did not offer me to get a substitution for my radio as well.
    I will wait the 6 months "deadline" I set myself since the delivery date (23rd March) and then I will be storming the dealer personally about this. I did not pay 27k€ for a non working FM radio... :(

7. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My wife drove our Prius today, after the brake reprogram update. Although I could not feel any difference, she can and likes the feel of the brakes better now. This doesn't surprize me a bit; she has always been more sensitive than me.

8. duffasaurus

duffasaurus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Had the brake software upgrade done on 2/11 & really didn't see any differance nor did I have any complaints to begin with. Scott Clark Toyota's service dept. has always been customer friendly and competent. However, this time they gave me a $10.00 gas card, $25.00 certificate for service or parts & a $500.00 cert. for a discount on future auto purchase in the next twelve months! Was out of there in thirty minutes. They didn't wash my car! :(

9. duanerw

duanerw senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    had computer flashed last week and this morning took it for a ride in fresh snow.each time i hit the brakes lightly they took hold in and instant and with no problems.

10. Thomaus

Thomaus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Technology
    ;)

Haven't scheduled the software update yet, but now I'm worried. We got the Mac version of the Prius. Is this going to work?

[and on a side-note, today's xkcd comic seemed appropriate.]

11. jukeboy

jukeboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    so I decided to take matters in my own hands, showed up unannounced and they estimated about an hour wait... they were just off by 10 mins and I suppose I should've asked for a car wash but there's rain in the forecast anyway so it wasn't too big a deal

prior to the AOB, I've sometimes been able to discern the regen-friction handover even when stopping over a smooth section of road, but now it's no longer an issue... with regards to the braking power, I couldn't tell the difference, but I swear the driving dynamics feel different, like it's a smoother ride even during acceleration, and while going uphill I didn't have to tap the CC as often to keep the display in ECO

12. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For Evan,

"I brought my car in, they took it in the back for XX Minutes, then they brought it back. I haven't felt the brake issue since, but then I only felt it X times before today."

And they did give me a free psudo car wash, or somebody spilt water on the car.

13. elmo2274

elmo2274 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I must have a really bad service center. I see everyone saying it took no time at all and meanwhile my service center scheduled the appointment saying it would take 30 minutes. I told them to schedule it whenever they were the least busy so they scheduled it for 3:15 on a Wednesday and then when I got there they said it would be an hour and 15 minutes.

Not the first issue I have had with the service at this place.. my first service (oil change) took them 2 hours, first thing in the morning when the person scheduling the appointment said it would be 15 minutes.

14. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had a 4:00 appointment and was told to expect up to an hour. 30 minutes later I had my car and was on my way. No car wash, gifts or anything, but I will take the 30 minute service and be happy. All the service people were friendly as usual. Nothing over the top.

On the drive home, I could definitely feel the friction brakes kicking in earlier than before but with heavy traffic it was hard for me to duplicate the same stop and quantify anything. I could never duplicate the brake transition delay that others experienced so I cannot comment on that.

15. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    elmo2274

What dealer do you use in Raleigh? It would be nice to know so I can remember not to go there if I am ever in Raleigh and need service.

Dwight

16. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I didn't get any of that stuff when I was at Scott Clark! Granted, I was there the day after the recall was announced so maybe they didn't have any of those programs ready.

17. zencat

zencat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So what's the recall protocol? Mine is definitely an early 2010 Prius and I believe I have felt the problem. Am I going to get something in the mail, or do I just call and make an appointment?

18. freedean

freedean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I haven't gotten anything in the mail yet. Called my dealer yesterday and got an appointment for this morning. Will report back after testing in a few key spots.

19. priushippie

priushippie New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If they put that stupid computer on top of my car I will shove it up their a$$!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 people like this.
  20. freedean

freedean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    OK, I just got back from my appointment to "reflash the ABS control ECU." The whole process took less than 40 minutes, complete with a complimentary car wash by Parkway Toyota in northern NJ. After the service, I took the car over a particular spot that almost always causes it to "surge" forward and nothing happened. Braking felt very secure at all times and was neither too jumpy nor sluggish. I also drove over various road imperfections while braking and the car did not "scoot" forward, as it did once this morning on my way to the dealer. I will try to test it as much as possible in the next few to days to confirm my initial impressions, but so far so good, and a significant improvement over the previous braking performance.