1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Recall Software Update Experiences

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Danny, Feb 10, 2010.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I run at 4 or 5 PSI over and have't had the skipping since the fix; though if I'm really paying attention I can sometimes notice the now near instantaneous changeover.

2. OZ132

OZ132 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    After over a year driving our 2010, the wife and I both consider this a non-problem.
    After the "fix" I noticed it (the "skip") for the first time. No big deal. The wife noticed it a couple of times before the "fix", but considered it no more than a hiccup--nothing to be concerned about.
    As far as we are concerned, the whole "issue" has been much ado about nothing.

3. RL Prius

RL Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Noticed the skip before the update. Never concern about it. Got the update done 4 months ago with 3,000 miles on it now..... Yes, I still experienced the skip.... seriously !!
    Like I said, It didn't bother me though.
    Just want to share.

4. ar9080

ar9080 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought my Gen3 Prius pre-owned, came from Vegas but apparently the recall was performed near NOLA. Anyway, before I even knew there was a recall at all, I called Toyota inquiring about a disconcerting brake problem. If I was braking and encountered a pothole, change in road elevation (~2") or loose surface, the ABS would release all pressure to discs when actuating. Yes, ABS is designed to adjust brake pressure to keep the wheels spinning, but in every single car I have EVER driven and considering ALL the stories I have ever heard, I have never heard of the feeling of no brakes for half a second when your foot is clearly depressing the pedal. Both Toyota and its dealer, Houston's Joe Myers, take the following attitude: "No Light = No Problem. [Stop bothering us about this!]." Neither Toyota nor the dealer even told me that there was a recall for my vehicle involving the ABS system. Wasn't that refusal to be forthcoming what got them into $16.4 MILLION worth of trouble?

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Both of my GM trucks (2001, 2002) would exhibit similar braking problems when going over bumps like railroad tracks. The braking was MUCH worse though.

6. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Almost all automotive manufacturers discourage (passively..?) dealer service personel from keeping up to date on TSBs, recalls, etc. Dealer service personel are INSTRUCTED to NEVER volunteer knowledge of the existence of a particular TSB or RECALL absent the customer stating a complaint that relates SPECIFICALLY to a given TSB or RECALL.

If you don't get a letter from the manufacturer regarding a recall then the recall doesn't exist at the dealer.

And the majority of TSB are not valid for out-of-warranty vehicles.

7. ar9080

ar9080 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's a 2010, and I JUST hit 36000 miles, so that negates the out-of-warranty bit. The recall "remedy" was already performed when I purchased the car. Personally I believe I have the right to know when there is a recall performed on a car I own. Think about it- you would feel pretty crappy if you bought a house and were told- AFTER you had concerns- that the alarm system had to be completely redone before you moved in because the previous owners were brutally murdered when it failed to work properly during a break-in. It's bad business ethics and overall bad form. Thirdly, to invalidate your point about service personnel being instructed to withhold information, that may be. Dealers are not to be trusted in any way, shape or form and I know this, even at 23. This is quoted from NHTSA's SAFERCAR.GOV:

"TOYOTA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2010 TOYOTA PRIUS AND LEXUS HS250H PASSENGER VEHICLES. CUSTOMERS HAVE EXPERIENCED INCONSISTENT BRAKE FEEL AFTER ABS ACTUATION DURING SLOW AND STEADY APPLICATION OF THE BRAKES ON ROUGH OR SLICK ROAD SURFACES. STOPPING DISTANCES MAY BE INCREASED COMPARED WITH A CUSTOMER'S EXPECTATION FOR A GIVEN PEDAL FORCE."

That sounds exactly like what I experienced.

8. ar9080

ar9080 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There absolutely is no reason in hell that the ABS ("ABS system" is redundant, as is "VIN number") should release all brake force during actuation. I know that the Prius is designed as a numb car, there is no steering or pedal feedback ever, and that has nothing to do with my car feeling as though it lurches forward during braking if the road surface isn't flawless.

9. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    "..no reason in hell.."

Oh, but there is...it takes a finite time for the previously "retracted" brake pads to reach frictional contact with the rotor during the sudden switch from regen braking to "all-wheel" frictional braking.

The same delay period occurs with standard braking at initial brake application. You don't take note of that delay because it is expected.

Sorry, but with the HSD system some level of braking "lurch" cannot be prevented. If regen braking, FRONT braking ALONE, is being used and ANY level of wheelslip/skid occurs the system MUST switch to more evenly distributed braking, frictional braking, braking front AND rear, ASAP.

Even "pre-loading" of the brake calipers as some modern cars now do in the rain might reduce the regen ability just enough to adversely impact FE.

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is interesting because the two dealers I visit in my area asked me if I wanted to have the pedal shave done. I never mentioned it either time.

11. MattD

MattD Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I respectfully disagree. The CT 200 is the same drivetrain, same system, yet the software doesn't exhibit the same tendency. On the contrary, it feels quite solid.

12. TheSpoils

TheSpoils Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the Prius brake "Feel" is something that you just cannot get used to or accept, this is a great time to sell it. A lot of folks will pay top dollar for it right now because of gas prices. You will also be able to buy an SUV or Pick-up truck on the "cheap".

Good Luck

13. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Are you sure...?

Maybe you just have not yet encountered the roadbed circumstances during braking that sometimes result in the "lurch".

14. MattD

MattD Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Positive-- I have a stretch of road near my house with a road surface and traffic light that were challenging to stop at properly in my Prius. The CT sticks like a charm.

15. wesayso

wesayso Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I see in your signature you have a scanguage. Where did you mount it? Any Pics?

16. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i dont think they use exactly the same hardware when it comes to brakes? otherwise it would be the same... also, it could be that CTh gives less importance to regen and more to brakes....

17. neggen

neggen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Don't mean to dig up this thread, but after the 2010 recall and a few return trips to the stealer, my braking lurch on my 2010 package III remains and I dislike it.

Is this still prevalent on 2011-2014s? Should I upgrade ;) The wife might even go for it based on safety.

18. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perhaps you can find a 'speed bump' near a Toyota dealer and on a wet or damp day, replicate the problem:
    • gentle braking passing through 18 mph when hitting the speed bump
    Confirm you have it and then drive to the dealership and ask for a test drive . . . guess where!

Bob Wilson

#138 bwilson4web, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
    neggen likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    buy the '14... you know you want it:cool:

bwilson4web likes this.
  20. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I thought this forum was only for news articles?