1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius safety

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jac-ma, Apr 19, 2009.

1. jac-ma

jac-ma New Member

Hi I am new to this Threads and posting thing. Perhaps I am putting this in the wrong place:eek:. But I have been looking and haven’t been able to find any information on the safety of the 2010 Prius :confused:(crash test results fore star five star) is there any information on this any ware and if so please let me know:rockon:. I now have an 07 Avalon and it is very high on the crash test. It is also not to bad on mileage 23 in town and 30 on highway. I would like the mileage of the 2010 Prius but don’t know if it would be worth the money. Also any body heard anything on pricing for them.:help:
    Thanks
    Jack

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pricing should be out soon...maybe Earth Day.
    AFAIK it has not been crash tested yet, that often doesn't happen until after commercial sales start. That said, it should be exceptionally safe, just as the current model is.

3. jac-ma

jac-ma New Member

Thanks for the info

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It should do well in the crash tests. The current one gets 4 stars for both driver and front passenger in a frontal crash and 5-stars for side impact with the side curtain airbags.

I expect this one to do as well, if not better. There's a little bit more room in the front, ahead of the windshield as well as driver's knee airbags that will reduce the chances of severe injuries to the lower legs for the driver.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I read about the extra 100 lbs more (despite 60 lbs reduction in the powertrain) due to the extra strength for safety.

As Tideland pointed out, knee airbag will be standard.

6. fordan

fordan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I doubt it's going to be worse than the current generation, and the current generation isn't bad in my experience:

[​IMG]

That's my 2005 Prius after being T-boned by a Chevy Tahoe who ran a red light. I would say I walked away, but I was actually collared and backboarded away to the hospital as a precaution. I ended up with some bruises and muscle pain, and that's it.

So assuming the insurance company decides to total it, which I strongly suspect they will, I'm now in the market for a 2010 Prius. Or maybe the Lexus HS250h, depending on where the pricing falls.

7. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Damn! Glad you came out OK. Your car did so well that it looks like they didn't even cut you out, and the door is still operable?

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's the result of 5 stars rating for the front side impact. Do you know how many mph the Tahoe was going?

9. MUPAUL

MUPAUL 55 MPG Average

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Scarry stuff. Glad you are okay.

10. fordan

fordan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They did cut me out, although I'm not 100% sure it was needed. My leg was trapped between the door and the steering wheel, but I could have pulled it free if I wasn't worried about it being worse than bruised, and I suspect the door would have opened some as well. However, the accident occurred directly in front of a fire station, so they were breaking windows and extricating me before I even realized what was happening.

In terms of how fast the Tahoe was going, the speed limit on the road is 45mph as I recall. From my read of the police report, it seems like the 17 year old girl who was driving was talking to her friends and didn't notice the light, so I'd guess around 30mph or so, assuming she started braking when she saw me enter the intersection or a bit before if she finally noticed the red light.

11. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Sad thing is you can see the bumper imprint complete w/ license plate frame in the side of the car. +1 for side air bags.

12. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, the new active headrests should reduce whiplash injuries from rear end collisions.

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This probably how it happened.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKnGans-JD0]YouTube - Crash Test 2007 Toyota Prius (Side) IIHS with Side Airbags[/ame]

Tech Tips likes this.
  14. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I wonder why they don't have rear side airbags as well.

15. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Texas, the rear is curtain only, and I'm not so sure I'd want seat-back airbags with small children in the rear.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting use of the seatbelt ;). Good to hear that you walked away nearly unscathed.

Are you going to chatise Toyota for not including it because everyone in America wants a rear side airbag?

17. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Actually, yes, why not include it? Other manufacturers do. Cost cutting? Probably. BTW. I love the fanboi mentality here that some have, where Toyota can do no wrong. Funny!

18. snb3

snb3 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Its a good thing auto manufacturers are a little less ignorant than you. Its much cheaper to engineer one door & one uniside to fit or not fit an addtl side airbag. Those that do offer a choice of a rear side airbag, when ordered, the dealers make it a point of the risks when a child is occupied in the sides of the rear seats. When I ordered mine ( not a Toyota), I declined the rear side airbags although it was only a few hundred dollars.

That said, I think Toyota made the right call with this one. I see many Prius (s) with child seats in them in Socal. Unlike front side airbags, where the front passenger is more exposed, with only the center post offering stationary protection, the rear seat is positioned between much stronger portions of the unibody. Our current lease expires this fall and the safety ratings & no standard rear side airbags will be a great determining factor in considering the Prius as wifey's car will be the primary kiddie shuttle for us.

19. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind the curtain airbag extends all the way to the rear, so taller occupants still have head protection. There's just less/no torso protection w/ lower side airbags.

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I also love the fact that anyone who doesn't agree with you is a <insert product> hater or a <insert manufacturer> fan"boi"

You must be a very unhappy man. Only a handful of cars have rear side airbags or iPod integration as standard equipment.