1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Shudder n' Shake Oil Burn

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Michael Tomkins, Apr 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Michael Tomkins

Michael Tomkins Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've never posted a conversation before so well see how this goes.
    2010 Prius 135,000 mile Since it such a hassel for me to change oil in it I have my tire guys do so when I do a rotation every 5000 miles, $15 labor. Didn't know what the shuddering and shaking on cold start ups was about until one morning the engine shut down because of very low oil level in the engine. Then I began researching on this site. Most of you know what I found. I took it to a Toyota dealer and they did a free EGR valve tube cleaning and an EGR valve replacement. After this the engine was noisier and My gas mileage went down about 5mpg. It did however quite burning so much oil. It went down to about 1qt every 2500 miles. Have kept a watchful eye on the oil and noticed that all of a sudden it began burning more. Now at about 1qt every 1000 miles and the engine is not as noisy and my mileage seems to have increased. Plus I let the car sit about a week and it had the shutter and shake start up. Took to dealer and of course, they told me it is more or less my problem that it burns oil.
    I might do the piston soak but I think it will be a waste of time. I have been putting BG EPR in it before oil changes and Sea Foam in the new oil but I don't believe it's helping.
    Reason for this post: I am thinking about having someone do an engine overhaul, pistons and rings, maybe bearings with engine in the car. Just pull the head and oil pan.I am looking for a mechanic I feel comfortable with because I know a guy can get in trouble doing this with the wrong people. I don't think it would be that difficult but then I'm just an old shade tree kinda guy. Anyone see any problems with my thinking?
    I will either do the overhaul or trade up to a 2014 Prius. No offense to anyone but I do not care for the looks of the newer Priuses.

bisco likes this.
  2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lots of blown head gaskets/motors.

Just get a low mile used motor and replace the motor. It will be cheaper in the long run. Not many mechanics have rebuilt that motor outside of the dealer but at dealer $150 an hour you might as well just lean into the dealers mechanics bay and throw your wallet in there and walk away.
    Just looked at ebay theirs like 50 motors 2010-2017 low mileage all $1200 free shipping. Many other junk yards have them cheaper.
    Common motor. You have already oil starved it so bad it shut down. Not good.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good job on the posting, trade up!(y)

4. Michael Tomkins

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Ed
    Yea, no way is dealer getting major repair money out of me. The engine was not out of oil and it was idling. I'm sure Toy has a safety shut off for low pressure. I'm a little leary bout buying something so major off of eBay but it's probably ok. I'll check it out. Appreciate your input.

edthefox5 likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did dealership replace or clean EGR cooler? Clean the intake manifold? It's paramount to have all of that free flowing for the EGR to function properly.

Toyota screwed up, doesn't want to know.

Tim Jones likes this.
  6. Michael Tomkins

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, as far as I know they just cleaned the EGR tube and maybe replaced valve.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Borninblue

Borninblue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not much you can do, when these 2010’s get older and run down they like to drink their oil. Reminds me of an old girlfriend, you really had to keep your eye on her when she started drinking. I finally realized wasn’t much more I could do and it was time for me to get a new motor....

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  8. Michael Tomkins

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, checking into the engine. Still working on it. It seems I cannot get a specific year engine. I want a 2014 or 15. Ain't no way I'm putting a 2010 back in it! Does anyone know a way inwhich I can ID an engine to the year it was made? Serial numbers? Peace

9. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Pretty sure they do not.

edthefox5 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. Ed Beaty

Ed Beaty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    "I'm sure Toy has a safety shut off for low pressure."

Never heard of such a thing on ANY vehicle, as it would be a serious safety/liability issue. The only 'safety shutoff' I can conceive of is when your engine seizes up because it's out of oil. That'd surely shut things OFF.

scona, Tande, Tim Jones and 1 other person like this.
  11. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Added to the collection.

Mendel Leisk and Tim Jones like this.
  12. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    They do, the safety auto engine off when low oil pressure is called seized engine.

Tim Jones likes this.
  13. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not sure why the 2015 is out of range, but you can put in a gen 4 engine in.

14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep no auto shutoff the engine shut off becasue it was very unhappy hence my new motor reference. So at least you know the motor is a basket case.

We have seen alot of those on this site. Many motor replacements. use the search forum tab up top and search around for used motor sources.. They quote some place but cant remember maybe someone can chime in.