1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Solar Panel

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by SDP40F501, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    What's baffling is they will not let you get the moonroof/solar panel option with the platinum pre-order. If they make it known that gas mileage will be a bit reduced by getting it with the platinum (which they do) and people are still willing to pay to have it, they should make it an available option with the platinum package. And by offer it I mean especially now, during the pre order. Many of us ordering the platinum package, if given the opportunity, would probably want it. And even if it's only 5% who want it, considering how small it sounds the group of pre-orders are why not give us the chance? Why should we in effect get penalized for pre-ordering and not be allowed one final option on a package which is essentially a loaded vehicle, especially when the option not being made available is such a revolutionary item for a prodcution vehicle. I saw a picture of a European third gen in blizzard white that guess what, had the platinum package with the moonroof/solar option.

Please Toyota, if you are continuing to read these threads, allow orderer's of the platinum package the chance to get the moonroof/solar option as well if we acknowledge that we accept losing a few mpg's in the process. Using techniques gained here and by trial and error some of that loss will be made up.

I think it's something special that some were given the chance for a preorder such as this but to omit one option which is something so different, so standout and an industry first for a production vehicle just isn't right.

:hail: Toyota, allow the solar and moonroof option to be added on for those ordering the platinum package.

[​IMG]

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Honestly if they did revise to allow, I'd probably switch to Platinum as well rather than begging for LED's in the Gold package ;-). Like Danny said, it's easier to preech the technology on a fully loaded car.

3. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Considering the plethora of electronics in the Prius...and the fact that HEAT kills electronics (or shortens their lives and/or reduces their efficiency)...I see a solar powered system to cool these components a pretty good idea. 80W is low but I would bet that this, too, is an engineered number that corresponds to the amount of cooling required to keep the Prius guts happy in the HEAT of the moment (stupid Asia 80s band reference, sorry) Any comments as to compfort for people versus comfort for all the 'stuff' that makes the Prius work so well? Sure the seats are now a bit more adjustable, but what about all the circuitry?

4. ea8631

ea8631 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Looks like the European version got a turn indicator on the side mirror and factory tinted rear windows as well???

5. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    Its the reverse for me. I don't have an interest in a sun/moon roof. I would want to split the two packages and be able to purchase the solar but not the moon roof. I'd prefer the whole roof to be the solar panel and have enough juice to do the cooling plus trickle charge the battery.

6. Zhentar

Zhentar New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The EBH draws 400 watts from 120VAC and takes ~4 hours to heat up, so it takes something in the range of 1600 watt hours. Even in ideal circumstances, that would take 20 hours of sun. In winter, solar insolation is lower even on sunny days, so you aren't going to be generating the full 80 watts. A 40-60 watt EBH probably isn't going to do much more than make the engine cool down more slowly. Which would still be wortwhile, since the solar power is completely free, but not too dramatic.

On the other hand, it is enough to run a seat warmer......

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I doubt it's factory tint. Their SUVs and minivans don't even come with dark tinted windows (and if they do, it's probably a loaded model).

Well, if the sun's beaming directly onto the seat, I don't think cooling the interior will help since that particular spot will be hot.

turn signal mirrors would be nice.

8. KD6HDX

KD6HDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have a 2005 Prius, so I do not need a new one just yet; but if I did i would order it with the solar panel and the moon roof.

Then I started thinking; but I put a car cover on it every day to protect the car from the stupid tree sap in my work parking lot. So much for complete use of a neat feature. Our car lives in the garage when parked at home, another chance to not use it. Even after all these missed opportunities to use the solar panels, I would still order the car with them.

Thanks to all who actually went to the show and gathered and posted their observations here on the chat.

Dave

9. fredthepostman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Did I read somewhere that if you want the moon roof the solar panel comes with it?
    I prefer a car with a moon roof but I rarely have a need for the solar panel. I do have a need for the extra money it will cost for the solar panel.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, it comes as a package

power moonroof, solar panels with ventilation function and remote A/C.

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    At least for the pre-release package. No one knows the exact make up of the packages that will be offered through dealers.

Tom

12. fredthepostman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I see all these packages being referred to. Like the premium,gold,silver and platinum. Are these the packages that will be in the showroom or are they just the something that is being used until they make the final decisions?

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They're just 3 packages that are available for pre-order (just like the Prius Pioneer that was offered in 3 packages. I don't remember what their equivalent final package number was other than the top package turned out to be Pkg # 9 BC).

Naturally, they'll be more packages. You guys got 9 packages in 2004!

True but I don't see them flattening half the roof only. Remember that the non-moonroof Prius will have the same curved roof as the current one.

14. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

from my sales experience, i think that one of the reasons was that they didnt want to offer 40k Prius (or close to it)....

if my memory serves... Silver was already decently equipped, and they said difference between silver and platnium would be 10-12k... which means that platnium would hit 35k easily. Another few k on top of that and you are close to the 40k Prius.

15. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I agree, that was another thought of mine as well BUT - For this pre-order, in which they selected whom to contact for specific reasons, they could still make it available with the one last remaining option of moonroof/solar with the platinum package and if people want to pay it they will. It's not like this "40k" prius would have been available to the masses so no harm no foul... if they choose to not offer it from dealers come May 'fully loaded platinum +' then they dont have to worry about bad press with a $40,000 Prius on the market. My thing is this whole pre-order thing is different an they should at least offer complete fully loaded ones to those who got emails if we want it equipped as such.

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium

Funny you should say that . . . because when I posted "Platinum" on the "which model" Poll, I was all by my lonesome. Since then, someone else has joined me ... but the difference between the solar option and Platinum is still 2 to 1 favoring the panel. Personally, the collision avoidance will likely net me a nice reduction on the auto insurance policy. The extra goodies like the LED's, park-o-matic, the fogs & the 17" rims are just extra nice goodies along for the ride ;)

imo
    but according to the poll, I recognize I'm in the minority.

Edit:
    As to the solar Panel being 80 watts, when I asked how many DC watts the panel could deliver to the circulation system, the rep said, "60" (FWIW).

17. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is my opinion that the three packages being offered for pre-ordering at this time are reflective of the three vehicles shown at the Detroit Reveal and at the Detroit Auto Show. As thus, they are "collector's item" packages.
    They are not, necessarily, set packages that one will be able to order through their dealers.
    When the 2010 Gen 3 Prius is available for purchase, I'm sure that there will be a range of packages, much as the current Iconic Prius has.

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe Erica said (in The E-mail Came! thread) that the 3 packages are the 3 that are to be released to the public.

19. hxiong

hxiong Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    i just can't wait to test drive it. :)

20. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't suggest the only 3... but probably 3 of...