1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Solar roof questions.....

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by sluday, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And just one more thing, there is a tigggle switch so you can turn on/off the solar panel ventilation system in the summer if you're parked at a dusty place or something like that. You don't have to turn it off for the winter because it'll only activate if the OAT is > 20°C/68°F and your climate control is set to a temperature below the OAT (that's for the Remote A/C)

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    You and I my friend, are in the minority, when we look at this item as a "must have". What you & I see as "gymic-ie" ... others see as way cool. Personally, we considered how much that feature would cost/pay towards the laser guidance system (VERY much a safety feature) and took that path. But that's just us ... and to each his(her) own ... as long as you feel you got your money's worth.
    ;)

3. carz89

carz89 I study nuclear science...

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rick - thanks for the info. Where did you find these nuggets?... talking with the Prius engineer, or the newly published tech manual?

Another source on the internet (but not as credentialed as you, sir) stated that the 68 degree setpoint is based on Interior air temperature, rather than OAT. 2010 Toyota Prius Peoria Toyota

To me, inside air temperature makes more sense, especially in a very sunny but moderate-temperature climate like San Diego. It can be a cool 60 degrees outside, but easily exceed 90 degrees in my Prius, with a lot of uncomfortable "stored heat energy" in my dark grey seats. I would hope that the solar cooling feature would kick in under these circumstances.

4. winebuff

winebuff Proud owner of a 2010 Prius

Model:
    IV
    Great information. Sunroof is am MUST, even in Oregon

5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I pull the info from the NCF guide available @ Techinfo.toyota.com, though some of the earlier data came from our own observations and the Q&A sessions w/ the chief engineer.

6. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In NC in the summer the 'ambient' temperature is around 90 - 95 degrees. That doesn't sound so great for a fan system to maintain that temp. Yes, I realize the AC system can run for up to 3 min before getting in the car, but I don't know that I'd want to wait. I use a full windshield reflective sun screen and that really helps a lot. I don't burn my hands or legs getting in, the dash stays (relatively) cool and within 1 min of the AC being turned on the car is comfortable. $3,600 is a lot of money and I'll really need to hear about how this feature is working out for folks when they get it. Right now I'm in the 'eh' category.

I have a sunroof/moonroof now in my Saab and I rarely use it and never use it in the summer with the sun beating down on my head and burning my scalp. Yes I could wear a hat but then I have to contend with 'hat head.'

7. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Very well stated - and in my case exactly my feelings as well. I live if Florida where the solar-run fan would be even more useful - but IMO not worth the $3600 ($3,900 with taxes) . I have a sunroof in my Lexus and never open it, occasionally tilting it to vent. However it is nice to get light in when the car is cool. And if the Prius A/C is a good as commented on this Board, the car should cool down relatively quickly, esp if a windshield screen is used when needed.
    I must say however, I tend to be an impulsive guy...and can see me flipping out for the whole enchilada when I see the car for real. Please don't tell my sales rep....

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But 90-95 degrees is better than 150-180 degrees, right?

You're not supposed to be waiting for 3 minutes. Think of it as helping the car get a head start in cooling the car down. I would have to say cooling the car with A/C at 90-95 degrees will drain the battery pretty quickly.

9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The lack of experience with hot climes and auto-start is funny.

I'm sorry if my first post on this great forum sounds harsh but the sunroof/venting system on the 2010 is probably going to be the best thing since sliced bread here in the south/southwest. I haven't bought a car without auto-start since my first one back 2003. Yes, it is that good having the interior cooled that few seconds before you enter the car in the heat of the day. The greater the remote range, the better.

For you folks in New Hampshire and Montana, I can't see why heated seats, mirrors, and engines are all the rage. :confused:

Get it?:)

1 person likes this.
  10. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think it's a cool feature (pun intended) but I don't know if it's worth $3,600+tax in order to get it. I just don't know. My car is not 120 - 150 degrees when I get in during the summer. That full windshield reflective sunshade REALLY makes a difference. Plus I vent the windows too AND park in the shade when I can. I have covered/garage parking @ work so that's not an issue. Now remote start I can see as so useful and one's AC can be starting up at the same time to drive out that hot air.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well then in that case, yeah it's not worth the $3,600. You already do everything you can to minimise the heat in the vehicle. If that works for you, then I'd say by-pass the option.

12. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Let's not forget it's an $1800 option. The other $1800 goes to NAV. If you're only getting NAV because you want the roof, I can see the forced addition, otherwise call a spade a spade.

13. sluday

sluday New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For me the sunroof alone should not cost more than $1000 by itself. $3600 for the roof and nav is way too much. This pushes a Prius 3 with solar package to about the same price as the Prius 5 that has much more useful standard features. I think Toyota would make more profit and more customers happier if they just did a sunroof option for say $1200 or so. A few car magazines had wondered if the glass top sunroof would actually make the interior hotter than a car with a metal roof.

14. zyonuf79

zyonuf79 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well, I certainly look forward to first hand reports from all the Priority folk who ordered the solar package and will be picking it up as summer starts. That will really help out the on the fence folk make a decision. It would be really awesome if some even used a thermometer and gave a quantitative analysis!

15. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Knowing Prius owners, at least members of this forum, that's exactly what we'll get.

Roy

16. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Far out Ron, you don't see many of Tom's posts do you? I never thought I would see anyone say that about any of Toms posts but about most of them? Extraordinary!

Is the world about to end?, I agree with your earlier post Ron!!

The solar moon roof is too costly for my taste and pocket. Regarding moon roof, I always say, why cut a hole in a perfectly good roof?

I'd rather get 2 years of fuel for my money and wind the windows down for a minute. Maybe Toyota could have a button on the update models, a button to wind all the windows all the way down as you approach the car then a second press turns the AC on then winds the windows up as the car is started. The car would be cool about 1 minute later than the solar fan version and the price would be $1500 to $1700 less than the solar roof and no hole in the roof!!

Of course no one has to get a solar sun roof if they don't want it, it is an option so if a person (like me) doesn't want it then they can go without.

17. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

people have to realize that not everyone lives in mild climate.

My town is known as one of the hottest in eastern europe, even in shade (if i am lucky) and using front windshield shade, my car gets unbelievably hot, so hot that for 5 minutes you can not get inside.

So this will help a lot... now of course it also "cool" factor.... It is basically like panoramic moonroof with solar cells... Panoramic roof on new Avensis costs $1300, difference is not huge by any means.

It is definetly an luxury item, just like Prius is luxury car compared to base Yaris.

18. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    He probably has me confused with one of the other Toms. Boo perhaps?

;)

Tom

19. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Right, I know it's an $1,800 option but since one is 'forced' to also take the Nav even if they don't want the Toyota NAV, it's really a $3,600 option. There is no way to unbundle those 2 items at the present time. I'm hoping Toyota will consider changing that so that folks can order the solar panel separately. I mean, is there any function of the solar roof panel that *requires* that Nav system? If no (and I think the answer is "NO") then there's no reason to force it on people.

20. scottwyden

scottwyden new jersey photographer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I can't see the roof being dependent on the Navi, but if Toyota doesn't want to separate it then unfortunately many of us will have an unwanted Navi. Sucks, but what can we do... nada