1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius stalled code pf309 amd p0a0f

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Chris626, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Chris626

Chris626 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just came back from a 300 mile trip in hot weather (80-90) degrees the entire way. The next day I went to start up the Prius and it had a rough idle initially, it reminded me of an ignition coil failure, I then tried to drive it to the dealer but part way it stalled and the engine wouldn’t start. I had it towed to the dealer. The dealer takes over a day to get back to me and says the codes are pf309 and p0a0f . They seem to be poor engine power and another engine misfire code. The dealer said the vehicle needed gas as it was low (indicator showed just under quarter tank). Finally today dealer gets back to me and says they can’t find the problem and would need to do an engine teardown and they want 6800 or to replace the engine. I was like what the hell? You can’t find the problem but your solution is to just replace the entire engine? I want them to look more in depth because that is insane. What should I be asking here? I think the service advisor thinks I don’t know anything about cars and apparently can’t read to research either. Any thoughts on what the issue could be?

2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think the PF309 is an inverter code. Is the coolant pump running? How many miles are on the car?
    The P0A0F seems to tell you there is an engine problem, probably because of the inverter problem.
    Toyota SHOULD have been able to figure this out!

I know these videos show for a P3190 for also show the P0A0F, but they'll give you info:

And:
    Toyota Prius P0A0F And P3190 No Throttle Response: SOLVED | Torque News

Chris626 likes this.
  3. Chris626

Chris626 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The car is high mileage, it’s about 215000. However, I believe when I bought it (second owner) I got service done at the dealer and they told me that the engine was replaced under warranty at some point because it had thrown a rod bearing or something like that. So I don’t think the engine has the mileage the rest of the vehicle does.
    I think initially after rough idle at Street speed the engine was running ok. Only the second day it wouldn’t stay on and ended up stalling. I may be misunderstanding, but couldn’t it be the MAF causing the engine to not be able to start properly and thus the battery got drained? Also, couldn’t if be an ignition coil failure with the same result? If the engine really had a major issue I would think the dealer should be able to find that without a full on teardown ?

4. Chris626

Chris626 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I went and talked to the service advisor and he was just like yeah, 6800 for tear down or replace for 7200! Lol All casually. I was like you can’t find the problem but your solution is to replace the engine? He was like well there has to be a problem inside the engine causing the issue. He also said the intake manifold has a hole in it and needs to be replaced (it was literally replaced a year abs a half ago with “a hole”. I am debating having it towed to a local Japanese repair shop and have them work on it. I feel like the dealer is really trying to rip me off

ASRDogman likes this.
  5. Chris626

Chris626 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    On a whim after talking to the SA, who was so whatever about what I should do (I don’t blame the guy I know they get busy but when you’re asking someone to shell out 7k….. Anyway, I called gasketmasters and it looks like I’m going to have them replace it for 2550 all inclusive with a warranty. I’m sure many on here have heard of them. They seem to really know their stuff and they do MOBILE ENGINE SWAP!! That’s insane! I’ll let everyone know how it goes!

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)

Chris626 likes this.
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wonder what that first code was really? The second place in a DTC is never an F.

Chris626 likes this.
  8. Chris626

Chris626 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you so much!

9. Chris626

Chris626 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So, I ended getting an engine swap with gasket masters. The price was around 2500 and they came to me, were quick (around 3 hours ) abs Walt, the guy from their videos is a master. It’s like watching a surgeon who knows his stuff. Car runs well after swap (although my battery isn’t recharging as quickly and drains fast). I’m babying it to endure it won’t blow up with a long commute but I’m very satisfied

10. Chris626

Chris626 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wanted to follow up again as Walt from gasket masters told me the engine likely had an internal coolant leak which had caused it to overheat. This overheating had melted holes in my intake manifold as the heat went there instead of being contained inside the engine.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Pics or it didn't happen. :D

Anybody got a spare manifold around to measure the melting temperature of?

Did your overheat light come on? That should happen around 248 ℉ ....

12. Chris626

Chris626 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    all I got was a check engine light but I was driving through the desert at night in about 100 degree weather with hills. I didn’t get any other warning lamps

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am doubtful of what Walt told you about the manifold melting.