1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Sunshade

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by chancejd, Aug 12, 2009.

1. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Those covercrafts are nice. I have one in my wife's Civic. It is thick and heavy and really keeps the heat out.

2. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I was wishing for something like that for the back hatch window!... something that retracts... I wonder if that could work and what size would be needed?

3. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Seems as if this shade extends out a bit from the A pillar into the windshield area when fully closed. Doesn't it make the front/side view even more restrictive?

4. nullxposur

nullxposur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd say about an inch from each side, maybe half an inch. I don't think it's restrictive or a safety concern. After a while you forget it's even there. I got one locally for $30US and is very easy to install.

5. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'd like one for the back.. not sure if it would mount right... can you look at yours and then look at the back to see if one would fit and if so, what size?

6. nullxposur

nullxposur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm too lazy, but I'll tell you one thing. They make them in different sizes. At the very worst, you can simply get a longer one and cut it to match. I don't remember what size the one for the Prius is, but I could call the place I bought it since they had a book that matched the car's windshield size to the specific shade length.

7. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's quite a bit - the pictures appear that it would be at least 1". Add that to the already-wide A pillar in the Prius and it has the potential to block quite a bit of frontal view. I've had my Prius for 3 months now and still find myself peering around the pillars when making turns etc.

I can see that the accordian style is easier to deploy, but personally I'll continue to use the Prius Shop shade.

Both shade versions have pros/cons, and frontal view is a killer for me. Potentially literally.

spoonerisms likes this.
  8. nullxposur

nullxposur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah I can see your point. It's not for everyone. Personally I prefer the convenience over anything. The only real time I need the pillar's view is if I'm driving slowly (say a parking lot) and need to make sure I don't run over someone, in which case I also rely on the small glass right by the rearview mirror.

9. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I haven't warmed up to one in front yet.... may be ugly or weird, or just flat out a bother for viewing... haven't decided.... but I can't see any negatives for the back.... the front windshield is seriously bigger than the back...

The reason I asked is I'm not sure how it mounts... in the back there is the smaller area where the actual glass is, and then theres the bigger area too.

If it could be installed in the bigger area, it would be virtually invisible through the glass when not in use.

10. R2Pre2

R2Pre2 Feel the Force!

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I *completely* agree with you about the Eclipse Sunshade! I've used them for 8 yrs in my SAAB & Minivan and will use it in my Prius when I get it next week. It's convenient and easy to use, and since it's retractable to the side, you never have to "put" it somewhere once you get in the car.

The SAAB's windshield is comparable to the Prius and I never thought the side views were compromised by the .5-1" lost on each side to mount the shade. The only downside I've ever experienced is when I self-park the car, then it is returned to me by a parking lot attendant. They just don't get how it operates. So I don't close it in attended parking lots.

Love the Eclipse Sunshade!

11. F512M

F512M Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Has anyone purchased the rear window shade from PC Shop? How does it stay in place?

Thanks

12. orson.octavius

orson.octavius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Prius battery (and the battery-power management system) has been designed to maximize battery life. In part this is done by keeping the battery at an optimum charge level - never fully draining it and never fully recharging it.

13. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So in essence, you have a smaller battery than you think.

Another reason Lithium will be so nice, you can fill it up "of course then there is no room for reserve" or drain it near dead.

Would definitely be nice if you could hit a button to temporarily let the computer know you want to fill up the battery "like on a long decent down a mountain"