1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 prius taxi blew its transmision

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by socratesthecabdriver, Apr 18, 2013.

1. socratesthecabdriver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    and just for sakes wellness i had a 1984 bronco with 310000 miles no problems a 2001 bronco with manual transmission that i sold at 280ooo miles that is still going ! a tranny under good use has got to give better than 300ooomiles .

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You need a source for this, because it is a complete lie.

A single statically geared planetary gear system that uses two electric motors and an engine spinning at different speeds and even rotations to "select" a gear... I know mercedes had a stepped planetary in a truck, but it is not even close to being the same.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    250,000km of hard use? I think that's a pretty good lifespan, no? Our 2005 is up to 200,000km of private use and the hybrid system is still solid so there's a difference there (private vs. taxi use).

I don't think what typical costs for transmissions are there, but Cdn$5,000 seems reasonable for a 4 or 5 speed automatic from a non-luxury manufacturer (parts & labour).

It is interesting that it's the European models. Again, if it was this unreliable or costly to repair, there wouldn't be so many Prius taxis here in North America.

Blu-ray likes this.
  4. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The difference here is the vehicles. Notice I mentioned passenger vehicles (Focus, Taurus, Mustang) I had a 94 Ford Ranger which I would have never traded in except I couldn't drive a manual transmission any longer because of a hip and knee issue. It had the original transmission and clutch and had +170K miles on it when I traded it. I miss my Ranger! The Trucks/SUVS are built well, the passenger vehicles... not so much in my opinion.

5. FranklinS

FranklinS Ach crivens ye scunners!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just when I thought the thread was going to turn down an interesting side road......

6. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Socrates ,

I understand your feelings. (Though the ALL CAPS is kind of weird.)

But I have a buddy with a Gen2 with 311K miles on it and has ONLY replaced one cell in the battery pack with a $40 replacement cell from 'Batterybuddy'.
    He changes the transaxle fluid regularly.
    A simple transaxle like the Prius's can 'last forever' if given clean lube, IMHO.

Side Note: He is seeing 1700 mile/qt. oil consumption. This is not good. But it is most likely valve stem seals and they can be replaced while the head is on the car.
    Always Mobil 1 in engine. Always Toyota's ATF WS in transaxle.

However, you have not answered this question: How often has the transaxle fluid been replaced?

Don't get mad....
    It is Toyota's fault that this important item is NOT included in the maintenance procedures,
    at least in N. American maintenance manuals.

And, we would like to know: What is the FAILURE exactly?
    >Chunks of metal when you drained the ATF?
    >It just 'No Goes' anymore?
    >If it is electrical there should be fault codes.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have owned a few other trucks that used atf for a manual gearbox. Last one was a Ranger 5 speed M50d Mits trans. On that truck the fluid lasted like 50,000 miles before it started to get dark with metal wear. Not so with a Gen II.
    I saw metal wear at 5,000 miles the first time I changed the trans fluid after buying my 07 new. It was very dark.
    So there is some metal wear there going on. It has gotten better with each subsequent change but leaving that first factory fill in there for any length of time is very very bad imho. This wear is really exacerbated by carrying a load all the time (passengers with luggage)

My point is under extreme duty use like a taxi I would double the trans fluid oci to like every 20,000 miles. Seems
    alot but its pretty easy and quick to do and its only $40. a pop. That and it is vital to keep clean Inverter coolant in the car too.

Now from the hybrid battery standpoint if I just drove my car around town everyday stop and go the battery would not be happy. The car would get really poor mileage and the hybrid pack would never see a good charge.
    Lot of sitting there with ac on,radio on, headlights on, bouncing off purple all day. Not good.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    GrumpyCabbie noted that the Gen 2's HSD system appears to be more robust. The issue is with the Gen 3.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  9. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    What if I say the Gen 3 transaxle is more robust and much more fuel efficient? Both are opinions. (Except for the efficiency claim.)

We're all talking about something, and we have no idea what the OP is even talking about.

Socrates, What exactly is the failure? What if he never tells us? All speculation....

And why is taxi service considered 'extreme'?
    Miles are miles. When I drive around town there is no issue with my battery SOC. Everything gets warmed up and stays warm, not a lot of hot-cold cycles.
    And the load the engine sees is no different than someone living in a hilly or mountainous area.
    Carrying 5 adults and luggage around a city is way easier than getting up the Rockies on I-70 going the speed limit.

Rereading this thread: It's not even his car. A friend of a friend most likely.
    And he is a funny fire-ball ! I hope someone didn't " tell me to drink some conium " :unsure:

10. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Socrates, Buddy,,,, It's only a car. It gets better !!!! Don't do it...:(
    David_-_The_Death_of_Socrates.jpg

11. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just believe me, it is.

Drive your car hard for an hour, and then imagine doing that for a further 9 hours that day and then every working day. Some days the car has a gentle day but other times you're 10 minutes late and have an irate customer chasing you, so you floor it. You're late again because someone is messing about, so you gun it again etc etc. The car doesn't have time to take any slack like you could give it on the way home on your daily commute. A taxi also spends most of its time in a town/city where it is start, stop, start, stop, wait, gun it, stop hard, start etc etc all day.

I think you're getting the picture. If you still think taxi's have no difference in their use, then you're more than welcome to offer me a good price for mine :)

xs650 likes this.
  12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Because it's on the road for a LOT longer than your typical private car and experiences harsher conditions of stop & go. This is Europe we're talking about, not the Mid West. There are no "open roads" in taxi service in Europe; not many chances to let the car stretch its legs.

Also note that the transaxle is a slightly difference design for the Gen 3 as it has a second set of planetary gears for the reduction gear that the Gen 2 didn't have.

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Based on the pictures of used Gen III fluid I have seen on this site apparently the G3 trans is even harder on the fluid than a 2. And there's not even a chain in the 3. There's alot of torque there.

14. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, and no magnetic drain plug like the Gen2.
    And then the "Life Time Fluid" thing...

Life is going to be very hard on the VAST majority of GEN3s out there........

Toyota set themselves up for a bad reputation eventually.....

But still, a taxi that starts from cold once a day and knocks out ? 400 miles ? , is way easier than
    a typical city owned Prius that starts from cold 50 times to go 400 miles and the oil never gets up to 180° to evaporate the moisture.
    How is a typical urban commute that much different than taxi duty? The taxi at least stays warmed up all day.

15. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The fluid does last for the life of the transmission:) Of course, if the fluid gets changed at reasonable intervals, the transmission will have a longer life.:D

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I wouldn't put a brand new transaxle in a 250,000 km taxi.

What would Taxi owners normally do if the transmission or engine blew in a diesel taxi?

17. socratesthecabdriver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    ALL I CAN TELL YOU GUYS IS THE GUY DID ALL THE REQUIRED SERVICES . HE ALSO LOST HIS BATTERY AT AROUND 180000KM SO HE IS UPSET . I GOT ABOUT 14111km TODAY ON IT . shiver me timbers AND MY TIME IS A-COMING I CAN FEEL IT IN ME Bones yaAAAARRRhhhhh

18. socratesthecabdriver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    this is
    Tartarus we are in AS IT IS ! .... no need to do anything !

19. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This is fun !!

In Greece, what does it mean when you say "Lost Transaxle"?

I still want to know this.:rolleyes:

20. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Woo Hoo,, it is Ouzo Tuesday !!!!!