1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 prius taxi blew its transmision

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by socratesthecabdriver, Apr 18, 2013.

1. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Perhaps the life of the hybrid drive is inversely proportional to the number of times you post an all CAPSLOCK post.

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oυρά!

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Priuschat is a good punching bag to take out FRUSTRATION!!!!

socratesthecabdriver likes this.
  4. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I live in rural Australia. Drive substantially on dirt roads and I have clocked up 100,000 miles since purchasing the car with 5000KMs in July 2010. I have had two problems. I had a rough start problem which turned out to be a faulty injector rail. It was replaced under warranty at no cost to me. My second problem was a dead 12 volt battery, but that was my own fault.

Last week in Melbourne I rode in a Gen II taxi. The driver loves it, has 380,000KMs on the clock and has regular repeat customers who enjoy the experience of riding in something different as a Taxi. I know of a Gen II taxi in Cairns, North Queensland who has done 600,000 KMs on the one traction battery.

I sympathise with Grumpy and Socrates. Based on my personal observations of Prius reliability, I would have expected their taxis to do better than what they complain of.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to try to reach across the language barrier.....

I'M SURE IT'S NOT THAT! BUT DON'T THROW MY SHRIMP ON THE BARBQUE BECAUSE I HAVE A FRIEND THAT'S PRIUS IS RUNNING GOOD FOR MANY MILES AND HONDA WON'T EVEN HELP!

MAYBE YOUR WATERS HAVE SHARKS OF FEAR AND MANTA RAYS OF DISCOMFORT BUT DON'T THROW ME IN JAIL FOR LIKING THE PRIUS.

I SUSPECT THE LIFE OF A TAXI DRIVER IS NEITHER ROBERT DENIRO NOR JODY FOSTER. BUT TRY TO KEEP THE METER RUNNING ON HAPPINESS. NOTHING ARGGGHH IS MADE TO LAST FOREVER. DO NOT PICK UP HITCHIKERS YOUR TRANSAXLE MAY BE UNHAPPY.

IT'S ALL JAMES SIKES FAULT.

I hope this helps.

Corwyn, Rebound and B2FiNiTY like this.
  6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd be curious to know what your chassis number is (obviously leave off the last 4 digits as xxxx) as I am sure the Euro spec gen3 Prii (lhd and rhd) are built at one factory, US versions built at another and JDM variants at another. I do wonder if more robust parts are used in the US spec cars to comply with their 150,000 mile warranty found in many Prius friendly States. So is the Aussie spec RHD Prius built at the same factory as Euro spec cars or JDM cars? I wonder if it's the latter.

Others can mock, but if the Prius turns out to be a dud here because cheaper parts have been used, word will get round very very quickly indeed. A taxi will carry 20/30 or even 40 passengers a day and if the driver is not happy, that is a lot of people who will hear about it.

7. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I had work in an Asia electronic component parts factory for a summer, the parts that ship to the US are tested to a much tighter tolerance than those to other parts of the world.

8. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I see that my post was removed when I asked on clarification how exactly it blew.

Moderators: aren't you overreacting lately? This thread is not exactly about terrorism.

9. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    friendly_,

Really that happened? I keep asking the same question. Over and over....

This is not fun anymore.

Maybe Socrates is not who he seems to be.......

The Plot Thickens.........

10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Vedeey interestink, I remember your post with the questions. Had they been answered, your post and the answers would have been the most useful posts in this thread.

11. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I certainly sympathize with anybody facing a big car repair bill. It's not expected and it's a big problem. But don't jump to conclusions that it's a deliberate effort of Toyota. For one thing, it doesn't really matter what factory builds the Prius. It matters where the transmission and its parts are built.

Here in the US, there are some excellent mechanics who specialize in hybrid repair, such as Luscious Garage. And these mechanics repair the transmissions, they don't blindly replace them. I know that with engines, sometimes you throw a rod and the whole thing has to be rebuilt, but the Prius transaxle is mechanically very simple and your friend probably does have a problem with a repairable sub-assembly. The last time I checked, there were some very smart bastards in England, an I'll bet it you look hard enough, you might find a smart bastard who knows how to repair that transmission.

Good luck. Long live Prius.

12. socratesthecabdriver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    HURAAA

13. socratesthecabdriver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    dude i'm not frukonstructed i love this car !

14. socratesthecabdriver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    the fluid was nice person good as new is what they saw when opened up . i have no miss intentions !

15. socratesthecabdriver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    i don't think it's a Greek thing . it's more like i love my cab and when something goes you feel like you lost your lovestess . something like a loved one . LOST ! Not like LOST the series ! hahahaaa is it not like that in the states I'm a new yorker born on the island lived in queens worked on the island and most of the tristate area . and something lost means the same every where ! as far as i know ~! so it's not LOST like in i lost my sock if thats what your asking ! i hope i shed some light on your bilingual abilities !!! AND IT nice person I HAVE FOUND OUT LIVING IN GREECE THE PAST 8 YEARS MEANS THE SAME HERE IN GREECE !!! HUUURA FOR THE WORLD AS YOU KNOW IT !!!

16. socratesthecabdriver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    REALY KNOW? SQUINT A BIT IT ALL READS AS THE FINE PRINT

17. socratesthecabdriver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    HAHAHAAAAAA IT S A SOMETHING READING UP ON YA + A GOOGLE

18. socratesthecabdriver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    THANKS I WILL TELL HIM . i am sure we will find someone in Greece to figure it out .

19. socratesthecabdriver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    thanks for the info

20. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm sorry; I thought you lived in England. My mistake. But I heard that there are some really smart guys in Greece, too, right?