1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius touring mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Raylingbengal, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Raylingbengal

Raylingbengal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I have a 2010 touring edition with 17 wheels. Any suggestions on getting better mpg. Does premium fuel help any?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no. lots of suggestions, what are you trying? have you learned pulse and glide? pump up your tires to 42/40.
    what mpg are you currently getting?

how many miles on her?

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    GOnna be normal and will ask, how do you know if a gen 3 prius is touring edition/?

4. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Right, I've seen a lot of Gen 2 cars advertised on Craigslist as "Touring Edition", but I know they are not, because they don't have the Touring Edition wheels, which are very distinct. I think sellers just think they can get a better price if they sell it as a Touring Edition to someone who doesn't know any better. (Ok, a Touring Edition wheel diameter should be 17", but I'm guessing most buyers wouldn't bother to measure that either).

Was there a Touring Edition for Gen 3? How would you distinguish it from a regular Gen 3 (without measuring the wheel diameter)?

5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's it...I'm buying 17" wheels and calling it "Touring Edition."

davecook89t likes this.
  6. RMB

RMB Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Lol Then mine is a Prius Three Touring:sneaky:

J/K! Maybe some of you are using mobile app or on a cellphone browser, the OP stated his location in Nova Scotia, which means he probably has a legit Canadian Touring edition. ;)

Raytheeagle and davecook89t like this.
  7. davecook89t

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    How could I have missed that? Location is usually the first thing I check. Absolutely correct, different model line-up offered in Canada.

RMB likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    "Touring" was a Canadian thing, that's what I have as well. The differences I know of:

1. Premium Package items. (back-up camera display in rear-view mirror)
    2. Different steering ratio, steering wheel turns lock-to-lock, and a bit larger turning radius.
    3. 17" Alloy rims, 215/45R17 tires, and no *#!$ plastic wheel covers.
    4. LED headlights, with auto-levelling, and washers.
    5. Rear bumper protector.

IMG_9157.JPG IMG_9159.JPG
    (Interesting: you can now upload multiple pics at once. (y))

#8 Mendel Leisk, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    RMB and davecook89t like this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Try a fuel injector, one with DEA. I dosed our with Canadian Tire Formula 1 Injector cleaner, several tanks back (poured in the proscribed amount at fuel up), and it seems to have improved things, by over 5% I'd say. Maybe injectors getting a little flakey?

With the 17" tires I set them around 36 psi (spec is 33/32 front/rear). Any higher and the ride gets really harsh. I've tried higher and it didn't see to change mpg appreciably. I suspect it starts to impact the suspension and bearings too.

What's your km's? Maybe time for EGR, intake manifold cleaning, and an Oil Catch Can?

I've tried Chevron 94 Supreme Plus (no ethanol) a couple of times, didn't seem to do much. We did get a fill up up the coast in a small town, Chevron regular, and it delivered gangbuster's fuel economy. Maybe it was ethanol-free regular??

Also the usual: consolidate trips, drive-without-brakes (basically coast as much as possible, avoid gas/brake/gas/brake), abide by speed limits, avoid higher speed routes, hills (if you can).

10. davecook89t

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I guess the Maple Leaf right above the left rear bumper cover wasn't part of the package, then, eh?;)

I grew up in Creston, BC and needed a car to get around when I was there a couple of years ago. I knew I wanted a Prius, but was unaware the option packages were different in Canada. I ended up buying my 2007 Touring Package 6 from a guy in North Van who had brought it up from the States. It has the Bluetooth and Navigation that I guess was unavailable to you guys, at least in the Gen 2 cars. I really feel like I lucked out. The car had 211,000 miles (not kms) on it when I bought it, and now has 265K, after having gone across the continent a couple of times. I have done nothing to it but change the fluids and put on new tires. I actually find both the Bluetooth and Navigation quite useful. (I detest having to pay for data charges on my phone to get Navigation, even though I know the maps are more current).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a way to download a swath of google maps. It eats up some phone space though.

One thing the CDN 2010 Touring doesn't have is Nav. We have an add-on Garmin, but don't really use it much

davecook89t likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One other thing: we first test drove a 2010 with the 15" wheels, the "technology" package IIRC. To be fair, it was dark, first drive butterflies, but it didn't feel planted, secure. Maybe two days later we test drove the Touring (which we ended up buying), in daytime, a more extended drive, and I felt at home in it right away, the steering, tracking whatever.

I've heard as of 2012 onward they've harmonized the steering internals, but I felt a definite difference, with those two 2010's.

RMB likes this.
  13. Raylingbengal

Raylingbengal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

14. Raylingbengal

Raylingbengal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It has 265000 k on it. Has been dealer maintained since new. It works great but only had it for a bit. Only checked once and was only 52 mpg. What is pump and glide?

15. davecook89t

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    That would be 52 miles per Canadian gallon, correct? 43.4 per US gallon. Not abnormally low. It depends on what kind of driving you are doing.

I believe that requires accelerating to the legal speed limit at a moderate rate then letting the car coast (while remaining in "D") until it has slowed by 20 MPH or so, then getting back up to the legal speed limit and repeating. This is not something you would want to try on a busy highway, but it would get you the best MPG possible.

16. Raylingbengal

Raylingbengal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes that is based on the Canadian gallon.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    google it, it is a driving method for increasing mpg in hybrids.

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    More commonly called "pulse and glide", giving a little gas, then coasting.

52 miles per imperial gallon converts to 43.3 miles per US gallon, which converts to 5.4 liters per 100 km.

@Raylingbengal if you're viewing the site on something other than a phone, you'll see our (me and the wife's) Fuelly icon is at 4.9 liters per 100 km, a 10% difference. That's pretty much the lifetime consumption of the car, barring a couple of 1000 kms right after purchase.

We're not rabid hypermilers, have a typicial short/medium trip length. We do try to consolidate trips, and try to use a block heater for a couple of hours before the first run of the day. I've got the Michelin Pilot hx mxm4 (what a mouthful) set at 36 psi. For about 4 months every winter I swap those tires to Michelin X-Ice@ 195/65R15.

I've also cleaned the EGR circuit, the intake manifold, and installed an Oil Catch Can in the PCV circuit. Those measures are more for engine longevity I think, but can't hurt.

#18 Mendel Leisk, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    davecook89t likes this.
  19. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    On the Gen 3 in the USA .... the "five" got the 17" .... I don't remember seeing a "touring" model when I looked. Both of our early Prius are the top model line "five". It was the wheels/ tires ... different ratio steering and the LED headlights w/ washers. The bumper protection was not part of the package. You could also get the technology package that was not available on the lower level vehicles. Could not get the sunroof on the "five". Since I did not want the sunroof .. the cost for the five was worth the $1200 cost upgrade over the "four" w/o sunroof.

One of my drivers could get 60mpg on the highway -- this was flat and moderate speeds (65mph) .. I could regally get 55mpg. The MPG has dropped -- we are now in the low 50 ..to 50mpg.

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Canadian Touring is basically the US V (aka 5), with the tech stripped out, radar cruise, lane keep, that sort of thing.

I kinda like that, lol.