1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius upgrade JBL GreenEdge

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by carlossanyi, Apr 20, 2017.

1. carlossanyi

carlossanyi New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there! I would like to ask for help. I would like to install a 2013 plug-in Prius' JBL GreenEdge radio head unit with it's amplifier into a 2010 Prius. Unfortunately I can't find the wiring diagram needed to install the unit. I have the complete wiring diagram for the 2010 Prius, but nothing on how the new, 2013 unit should be installed. The type/product number of the new head unit is 57037 (86140-47110), the amplifier's is 86280-0WA51. Can anyone help me in any way? Thank you.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I'm involved in (actually, for the moment, avoiding) a similar project, only with a 2012 headunit to go into a 2010. I don't know of any better research approach than to go back to toyota-tech.eu and get the wiring diagram for the 2013 also, so that you have both, and just go through pin by pin to find the connector and pinout changes.

One change between the two years that I discovered with mine (I have the Denso units, yours might be different) that might be easy to overlook is which end of certain shielded wire runs would be grounded. In one year, the shields connected to pins at the headunit end and were left unconnected at the amp end; in the other year the reverse. Overlooking that little detail might result in having shields not grounded at all. (In your case, swapping headunit and amp together, that should be no problem, but be sure to also check other shielded sections such as aux in, microphone, camera, if those are present.)

In my case, I am hoping that the 2012 headunit (built for GreenEdge) will function as input to the 2010, non-GreenEdge amp. I haven't tested that yet. I am assuming that, if I change out the amp to GreenEdge also, it will require the GreenEdge speakers, which would mean more car disassembly than I really want to get into.

-Chap