1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius vs 2010 Fusion Hybrid

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jdel, Jun 8, 2009.

1. jdel

jdel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I took a test drive on a Fusion Hybrid today. So far I have only test driven the 2010 Prius pkg 2 (15 inch wheels etc). The things that impressed me about the Fusion were:
    1. Much more quiet from road noise than Prius.
    2. Ride, handling, steering response, and road feel better than Prius.
    3. Quality of interior.
    The things that concern me about the Fusion Hybrid:
    1. The level of experience that the Ford technicians will have in the event of a problem.
    2. It's made in Mexico. So much for buying American and saving jobs.
    What I would like are the opinions of anyone who has driven both the 2010 Prius and the Fusion Hybrid. In fairness to the Prius, I have only driven a package 2 and was not impressed with steering and handling. Maybe the Prius 5 with 17 inch wheels would be a better comparison.
    John

1 person likes this.
  2. cmumford

cmumford Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I haven't even seen a 2010 Prius yet (mine is on order) and have only driven a 2009. However I did take a 2010 Fusion out for a spin yesterday and was very pleasantly surprised. I actually thought the interior was one of it's shortcomings. The seats are outstanding. I have a bad back and can easily see driving four 1/2 day in comfort. The seats are on par or maybe slightly better than my wife's Volvo V70 T5.

The high tech dash was a bit nicer than I expected after seeing it in YouTube videos. I still consider the rest of the interior styling a big old-school (the switches and center console). I really like the dash configuration on the '09 Pirus and am expecting based on the forum comments here that the '10 will be even better.

It was nice and quiet with very good road feel. I'm just under 6' tall and my hair was touching the ceiling though and I hate that. It also didn't have quite the fit-and-finish that I am expecting from the Prius.

Oh, it's also a larger mid-sized sedan with a 20' turning radius. It just doesn't fit my lifestyle so am going to go with a '10 Prius (don't worry Dianne), but I would say that it has moved into second place and the '10 Insight is now in third.

Man I wish Ford would just "get it" - Toyota's just figured it out and has the Prius so dialed-in.

3. Bruno_S

Bruno_S New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I test drove extensively the Fusion and Milan before deciding on the Prius. The following is true:

1. Much more quiet from road noise than Prius.
    2. Ride, handling, steering response, and road feel better than Prius.

In addition:

3. Faster acceleration
    4. Less expensive than similar equipped Prius (X-plan and tax credit available)
    5. Seamless change from electric motor to engine (Prius shakes and rattles a little bit)

The only draw back for me was:

1. Quality of interior. (Much better on Prius)
    2. Didn't like the Fusion styling (huge chrome grill and chrome details in the cabin)
    3. Lower MPG on the Fusion (3800 lbs car)

4. web1b

web1b Active Member

I like the Fusion. 41MPG city is great for what the car is.
    The biggest turn off is the small trunk without fold down seats.
    I think the trunk is a deal killer, but I probably still look at if I later decide I won't need to carry things that won't fit in the trunk or back seat.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never noticed this in my 2005. Were you in stage4 when you noticed this? i.e. was the car fully warmed up and had you come to a full stop after the warmup? That is the only time I ever notice and non-seemless transition between engine and motors. :confused:

6. web1b

web1b Active Member

I just remembered a couple things.
    I think the Fusion needs less and cheaper maintenance (no $70 oil changes every 5K miles). Ford Sync is very slick.

The Fusion Hybrid has a 6-speed automatic transmission with only D and L as drive selections, so you can't manually hold 4th or 5th gear on a grade.

Fusion Hybrid looks like a regular car except for small hybrid badges and that can be a plus or minus depending on what you want.

7. rfruth

rfruth Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    if you want a science experiment on wheels the Prius is it - Ford Fusion hybrid for others (I own neither but have researched both)

8. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I, too, am a bit curious about this finding. Have you driven a 2010 Prius?

One of the rather curious findings, to date, is that there is no physical way to determine when the ICE is started or stopped. In the Gen2, the cold closures not only were audbile, you could feel the stop coming from 1/4 mile away.

9. Bruno_S

Bruno_S New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    On the test drives I did with the Fusion and Milan I've never felt I was driving a hybrid except for the fact it was quiet. On my 3 day old Prius I can more or less tell when the ICE turns on an engages. Its subtle but its there.

10. jdel

jdel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Fusion Hybrid has a 6-speed automatic transmission with only D and L as drive selections, so you can't manually hold 4th or 5th gear on a grade.
    I believe that the Fusion has a CVT transmission (planetary gear setup similar to Prius)

11. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh ok. I know what you are talking about now. It likely has to do with the added mass and insulation of the Fusion/Milan.

So you really can't tell when the engine is on or off in those cars? That is rather nice.

12. Bruno_S

Bruno_S New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Fusion was extremely silent, road noise, wind noise, etc. Great car except on Fit and Finish that was real bad.

13. LaMesaGuy

LaMesaGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    On my 2007 Prius, the only time when I notice that it pause a little bit going from electric motor to engine when the Prius was cold. When the engine was warm, the shift from the electric motor to the engine was seamless, did not feel it.

14. web1b

web1b Active Member

OK, so cargo space from the small trunk and probably resale value are the biggest issues for me. Resale value will be good if gas prices go way higher, so the only guaranteed negative to me is the small trunk.

The MSRP is about $32K fully loaded with everything, leather and nav, minus discounts and then a $3400 federal tax rebate will get you a pretty nice price.
    If you don't pack on all the options, cut another $3K to 5K.

15. fred garvin

fred garvin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    rfruth -

1) when you say you have driven neither are you referring to a) the 2010 Prius and the Ford Focus Hybrid (FFH) or b) ANY Prius and the FFH?
    2) if b), please don't call what you've done research
    3) please define "science experiment on wheels" - I assume from the tone I hear in your post that this is meant as a negative comment.
    4) if what you meant to say is the Prius is complicated, with lots of gadgets and settings and a futuritic look that "regular" people will struggle with, and the FFH is simple and more accessible to a larger number of technophobes, then you could say that more clearly
    5) you shouldn't make a firm recommendation based on your "research"

16. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I believe Ford hit the 60,000 mark in the second quarter and the tax credit is now $1700.

17. fred garvin

fred garvin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    i forgot to add:

"Experiment"?????? which manufacturor has been selling prius (now on the third gen) and which is "experimenting" with their first commercial attempt?

18. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So similar that Ford cross-licensed patents with Toyota so they didn't get sued. The drivetrain plan is exactly the same, though as far as I know all the parts are different. I assume that 'L' on the Fusion is the same as 'B' mode on the Prius - greater braking with the accelerator pedal released, to simulate low gear. (Prius uses a mixture of greater regeneration and engine braking depending on speed and battery conditions.)

The Fusion Hybrid is Ford's second vehicle to get a two-motor power-split setup - the first was the Escape Hybrid SUV.

19. irondentist

irondentist New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ford Sync wins HANDS DOWN with one tied behind its back over the CRRRAAAAPPPY Prius Navi. I finally decided on buying a Fusion Hybrid instead of the Prius after my test drive with the '10 Prius pkg IV. I am a fan of Toyota, with its better reliability and fit and finish. But I was thoroughly impressed with the near library quietness of the Fusion and its engine. You cant even tell your driving a hybrid, more like a Lexus. And did I mention the Ford Sync? I plugged in my iPhone with my USB cable, which the Prius is in waiting, and I can tell it to play "Artist - Muse". The Ford Navi has that Garmin look and functionality, while the Prius Navi, including the old lady voice prompts, seem like its dug up from 2003 parts bin in Japan.

20. av8harrier

av8harrier New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have recently test driven the Hybrid Milan, but have not driven a '10 Prius V, but will real soon.

My experiences were similar to previous posts. However I did not see any fit/finish issues on the Milan, but was horrified when I saw the trunk (what their was of it and lack of fold down seats).

Ford/Mercury better take a better look at their battery situation or no matter how quiet and better their reliability becomes, it is a no go for me. I look forward to the acessibility and flexibility of the Prius hatchback and oh yes, newer/better engine/drivetrain design with superior gas mileage.

I currently drive a Jaguar X-type (Ford produced) and reliability/maintenance has been mediocre. Key reason for trading her in after 85K miles in addition to 17 mpg in the city.

By the way the tax rebate on the Ford is half what was mentioned in an earlier post and again is reduced further at the end of Sept. Go to Fuel Economy for details.