1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius with bad head gasket in Kansas City

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by gaffa, Sep 19, 2019.

1. gaffa

gaffa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not actually the owner (I don't drive in fact) but my brother, who actually owns the car in the subject line, is nowhere near as computer literate as myself. So I've been assigned the job.

His 2010 Prius apparently has a bad head gasket. A spark plug was removed and a camera was inserted into the 1st cylinder and water & antifreeze was discovered in there.

Neither of us are mechanics, but "blown head gasket" really doesn't seem like a thing that should cause a car to be scrapped. It's something that has happened to internal combustion engines since they were invented.

We're in the Kansas City, Missouri area, and need help finding a good, skilled and reasonably priced mechanic to replace the head gasket and rebuild the head.

All suggestions welcomed. Thank you.

P.S. I should mention that I discovered this Forum when I searched for his description of his other Prius "making a noise like there is loose change in the engine" and found someone here suggesting that it was a bad bearing in the water pump. He was armed with that information and sure enough, it was a bad water pump bearing.

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    how many miles on her?

replacing the head gasket vs replacing the engine can be iffy. there are some very good threads here on both sides of the equation, worth reading.

also, you'll need to clean the ear circuit to help prevent it from happening again, and maybe add an oil catch can.
    see nutzaboutbolts youtube channel

all the best!(y)

gaffa likes this.