1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius with bad headlight harness

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by rsttoole, Feb 9, 2015.

1. rsttoole

rsttoole Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I purchased a 2010 Prius in October 2014 as a Toyota Certified used car. About a month later I lost my first low beam headlight on the passenger side. I replaced this one myself. A short time later I found out about T-SB-0204-12 which addresses this issue.

I had my Prius into the dealer this morning and they confirmed that this TSB does in fact pertain to my car. The original warranty is for 3 years or 36,000 miles so they tell me that the car is out of warranty (31,000 miles but now 5 years old) . They also tell me that the certified used car warranty wont cover the replacement since the harness is still "working". History shows this to be a design problem with persistent failures.

Any advice on how I can get Toyota to pony up and take responsibility for changing this harness out? What happens the next time one or both headlights fail on a dark stormy night.

Any advice is much appreciated. The dealer wants $600+ to replace the harness.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you read through the certified warranty?

3. rsttoole

rsttoole Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The dealer called the warranty people (not sure who that was) and was told that it was not covered. I guess I need to read the fine print. Regardless however it seems like a design issue that Toyota should repair.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can try asking the service manager to call toyota, sometimes they cover all or part of out of warranty repair, especially since there's a tsb.