2010 Prius with P0AFC

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Swayde96, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Swayde96

Swayde96 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    First time poster, I haven owned this Prius for about 4 months. It’s a 2010 with 199K on it. Ran great and had no issues other than stopped up EGR cooler. Cleaned that out and was great. It sat for a few days and battery died. Jump started it and hybrid system has been acting haywire. Logged code P0AFC. I removed battery pack, cleaned bus bars, checked voltage and load tested all cells, average 8.05V on each cell with a total 225V, I have an Autel scan tool. I can clear the code momentarily and my hybrid screen goes normal showing the charging bar then few seconds later goes back to “check hybrid system”. Hybrid coolant pump was replaced 15K miles ago before I got it. No sure what the next steps in diagnosing this are. I can communicate with sensor module through OBD port and read all live data. Any help is greatly appreciated.

iPhone ?

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Check yer 12v battery health.

3. Swayde96

Swayde96 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I charged 12V battery overnight prior to making this post, let it sit for a few hours and held 12.6V, reinstalled and still having the same issues. The gasoline engine runs separately just fine, hybrid system just will not work properly. Also, took it for a test drive to see what other issues I could have and have a pending P0A80, P0B42.

iPhone ?

4. Swayde96

Swayde96 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Update: 3 drive cycles later and now only P0B42 is active, I feel like I’m getting closer to solving this. Is this a reset procedure the car does after a dead battery?

iPhone ?

5. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You might need a new 12V battery.

Grit likes this.
  6. Swayde96

Swayde96 New Member

Vehicle: