1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius with P0AFC

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Swayde96, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Swayde96

Swayde96 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    First time poster, I haven owned this Prius for about 4 months. It’s a 2010 with 199K on it. Ran great and had no issues other than stopped up EGR cooler. Cleaned that out and was great. It sat for a few days and battery died. Jump started it and hybrid system has been acting haywire. Logged code P0AFC. I removed battery pack, cleaned bus bars, checked voltage and load tested all cells, average 8.05V on each cell with a total 225V, I have an Autel scan tool. I can clear the code momentarily and my hybrid screen goes normal showing the charging bar then few seconds later goes back to “check hybrid system”. Hybrid coolant pump was replaced 15K miles ago before I got it. No sure what the next steps in diagnosing this are. I can communicate with sensor module through OBD port and read all live data. Any help is greatly appreciated.

iPhone ?

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Check yer 12v battery health.

3. Swayde96

Swayde96 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I charged 12V battery overnight prior to making this post, let it sit for a few hours and held 12.6V, reinstalled and still having the same issues. The gasoline engine runs separately just fine, hybrid system just will not work properly. Also, took it for a test drive to see what other issues I could have and have a pending P0A80, P0B42.

iPhone ?

4. Swayde96

Swayde96 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Update: 3 drive cycles later and now only P0B42 is active, I feel like I’m getting closer to solving this. Is this a reset procedure the car does after a dead battery?

iPhone ?

Catherine Kourouklis likes this.
  5. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You might need a new 12V battery.

Grit likes this.
  6. Swayde96

Swayde96 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Please explain.

iPhone ?

7. cnttxmdc

cnttxmdc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Swayde, did you find a solution on this? I'm having the same issue as you, and would love to hear the outcome/solution you came up with.
    Thanks!

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what issue, poafc?

9. PapaWill

PapaWill Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did anyone solve the P0AFC? I have this code along with PA080, P0A7F and P0B3D. I am quite sure it is not the hybrid battery. WHY ? I replaced it with a known good battery. And the 12 V battery was just replaced. The P0AFC code directs me to the wire harness and to the HV computer. ALLdata mentions 2 fuses and a relay the need to be checked. Anyone have success here? Thanks in advance!

10. Swayde96

Swayde96 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My issue ended up being the hybrid control module at the hybrid battery pack. The driver side tail light was leaking water into the cab and the control module had gotten corrosion on the terminals. Replaced it with one from eBay and fixed it right away. Now I’m replacing battery cells because I’ve have 3 go out in the last 4 months

iPhone ?

PapaWill likes this.
  11. PapaWill

PapaWill Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you mean THIS :
    IMG_7570.jpeg
    Unfortunately, that is not the part I need to replace...