1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius WONT START: Advice needed

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by John1976, May 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. John1976

John1976 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I’ve had this issue for 15 days now and they have been grueling. We have almost exhausted all our options at the moment. Here’s the story:

So we were in a small car accident a few weeks ago that only did damage to the driver door and front bumper, no mechanical damage, the car was running perfectly fine with no issues. So we brought it over to a local body shop to get the car fixed. I drove the car there myself and left it there overnight with the body shop. I took the 12v battery out because I needed it to get our other prius to run as it had a dead battery. So I left the prius overnight with no 12v battery and advised them to use one of their batteries to start the car (they had several prius 12v) and they agreed. The next morning one of their workers attempted to start the car by jump starting it under the hood. Then they called me saying the car is not starting... Based on what other mechanics have said is that hey must have reversed jump started the prius and either fried a fuse or the ECU. The car does open with the smart key, the front head lights turn on, and the dash only displays a message stating “shift to P position and push power switch to turn off” and another message saying “P lock malfunction when parking, park in flat place and apply parking break securely”. As well as the car with the lock symbol (Security indicator). All the fuses under the hood were checked for power and they were all fine. We have another 2011 prius and we switched the relays between both cars and the relays were fine as well. The 12v battery is fine. And we have been unable to find a mechanic who really knows to come and check it out. When a computer is hooked to the prius under the steering wheel nothing happens because there is no power so we are unable to see what codes it displays...

One mechanic told us that it seems that the vehicle is unable to receive enough power to the transmission and parking control system and the car is not turning because it does not think it is in park.

We dont know what to do at this point and we dont want to tow the car out of there yet because they damaged the car and dont know what the costs are as of yet to repair it. Someone please help and thank you. Let me know if you need any other information.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    short of someone here with better advice, i think you need to get them to agree to pay to send it to a dealer.

it does seem odd to me that you have power to the sks and headlights, but not the obd. it does seem like you're missing one of the fuses that could be blown, there are a lot of them, all over the car.

3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you put in a KNOWN good 12V battery?
    IF all else fails, either find a GOOD hybrid technician, NOT mechanic, or take it to Toyota.

4. John1976

John1976 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It does have a Known good 12v battery yes, and we have checked the fuses under the hood, the fuse on the positive terminal of the 12v and the fuses underneath the steering wheel have no power. Is there any other fuses in the car that we should check??

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think so, take a look in the service manual

Raytheeagle and Grit like this.