1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius won't start jumped battery- service center said no problems.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mike Kapala, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Mike Kapala

Mike Kapala Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hello All! I have a 2010 Prius with 163,587 miles. Original batteries. I went to start it this afternoon and had a orange triangle with ! in it, a dim dashboard, and an orange light on my start button but would not start. I had AAA jump it (which blanked out the right side of my display) and drove it to my Toyota service center. I was expecting that I'd need a new battery and display. I'm not a car guy but was told that the voltage tested at 12.76 and the battery tested in perfect health. They said they had never seen this before and asked if I was doing anything that may have drained it. I said no. They said they had not seen this before but not to worry about it AND DIDN'T CHARGE ANYTHING :). Aside they said the dashboard out wasn't uncommon after a battery drain and just did a hard reset to fix it.

Any ideas?

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If the 12v battery is indeed original, I'd replace it regardless of what the dealer said about its health.

Our 2011 had the battery die last year, but we live in a hot climate which notoriously kills batteries early.

scona and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. Mike Kapala

Mike Kapala Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    12v is Def original. Hate to get new battery as it tested out in good health. Any reason why that would happen? Trying to learn. What were your signs the battery was shot? I live in NY where we have temissed from 0-90 degrees. Thanks!

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If you have a voltmeter you can check the 12V battery first thing in the morning, -before- you start the car. It should read 11.5 or more. Usually 12+ for a healthy battery. A "worn out" 12V battery will get into the 10.5 V area sitting overnight. As already posted, if your 12V battery is original it is probably due to be replaced. It should cost you around $200-$250. The hybrid or traction battery isn't likely to be worn out yet.

Good dealer BTW. Go back there and spend -some- money to reward them! Maybe get them to replace the 12V battery.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    you'll have to keep an eye on it. since you've come here for advice, i take it you want to do some diy?

1) check the battery connections for tightness and cleanliness, especially where the negative connects to the body.

2) get a digital volt meter and do some testing as david mentions above. report your results here.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    2010 with original battery, displaying issues? Go straight to replacement. 4~5 years is a good time to periodically replace batteries, regardless of their condition.

If you want to test it: a digital load tester will be best. Battery retailers and/or the dealership service department should have them. You can get a consumer level tester, something like Solar BA5, and test it yourself

xliderider likes this.
  7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When you open the driver's door, listen to the brake accumulator electric pump pressurizing the system. It might sound weaker than normal.

By the time you get warning lights on the dash and a no start, it's too late. ;)

Unless your dealer did a load test, it might've passed a quick voltage test. My bad battery measured 12.7v, but couldn't supply the current (amperage) to start the car.

Your 12v is 7 years old, trying to get more use out of it will likely get you stranded again. Probably at the most inconvenient time.