1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 - Ready to scrap it

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Daddy Dave, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Daddy Dave

Daddy Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm a rare lurker on this group, but did post a couple of years ago about my 2010's (purchased new) excessive oil consumption. This has been happening since around 90k miles and it now has 172k miles. My wife and kids drive the car. I rarely use it. Once in a while I check it out and add oil as needed. When I last checked, it was around 1 qt/900 miles which I didn't worry about. We're just back from a 2400 mile road trip which I used to monitor oil usage. It consistently requires 1 qt every 400 miles. I added 6 quarts on that trip! It doesn't ever have noticeable smoke and has never leaked a drop. Twice I've added some miracle fluid to the oil. No changes noticed.

The first couple of tanks on the first day of the trip were generally uphill against the wind at 84 mph. The mileage was in the 20's that day. The next day(s) it was fairly normal mileage (38-45). The low mileage could indicate fouled O2 sensors, but it didn't set an error code. BTW: I develop emissions controls for large natural gas engines and regularly carry an OBD2 code reader in the car.

With 172k miles, I wouldn't be too surprised if it is going to need a battery soon. Other than that, the car has been trouble free. It still has the original brakes! The pads still look good. After owning a 2010 Prius for 7 years, I think the hybrid system works like a champ. It is too bad about the engine using so much oil. Instead of doing a rebuild or putting a used engine in it, we'll relegate it to around town driving only. It isn't going to last 400k miles as I had hoped when I bought it. I don't expect to buy another new Prius.

mmmodem, Mendel Leisk and m.wynn like this.
  2. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please read the thread regarding this. You issue is a clogged intake manifold and pcv valve

taxidriver50005 likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try some motor medic.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That sucks, but I don't blame you. I think you were one of the first to report EGR and oil consumption problems here, I was kinda wondering how you were doing, if you were still soldiering on with your 2010. (y)

FWIW, 4th gen has revised EGR, all new and improved. If you can stomach the looks.

@Montgomery : Missing link? And hopefully you're right.

#4 Mendel Leisk, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  5. Daddy Dave

Daddy Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Tried it 2 oil changes ago. I thought it helped at first, until I put some miles on it. Same oil usage. I could try it again.

bisco likes this.
  6. Daddy Dave

Daddy Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks - I'll look for it. Sounds like something I could send my favorite independent mechanic searching for.

7. Daddy Dave

Daddy Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Now that I've thought about what you're saying - I went down that type of logic a couple of years ago. I concluded that the EGR was a symptom of the oil usage problem, not the cause. The same logic could be applied to the clogged intake manifold. High oil usage pumped back into manifold clogs it up. What do you think about that theory?

I actually blocked off the EGR pipe where it dumps into the manifold for quite a while. It solved the stumbling problem (also set an error code). I unblocked it at least a year ago and everything was looking OK. No error codes. Still uses lots of oil, though.

I'd appreciate second opinions.

8. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Did you ever clean the egr valve and cooler and intake manifold? What weight oil are you using?

Our 2010 Prius II has over 158 k miles. It began consuming a small amount of oil at ~120 k miles and I switched to 5w-30. I also began using BG Products EPR prior to changing the oil, then adding MOA to help stabilize the basicity when the contamination of gas blowing by comes in.

Went from using a quart every 4500 miles to less than a quart (20 ounces) between 10 k mile oil changes. Your oil consumption is higher, and higher mph in my experience leads to higher consumption.

Hope that helps (y).

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i spoke too soon, the other member is still in the testing stage.

10. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dave, not sure if you're kidding or dead serious about scraping it.. please don't scrap it! I'll buy it! :)

farmecologist and Raytheeagle like this.
  11. harrysprius

harrysprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Where is the oil going?

Seems like there would be signs if it was going through the exhaust.

Robert Holt likes this.
  12. Daddy Dave

Daddy Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No, never cleaned EGR. It is definitely full of crud. It sure seems like a symptom, not a cause. I've moved from 0-20W to 5-20W. I'll try your snake oil suggestions and use 5-30W next time.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +1
    That a lot of oil, so should be signs someplace

14. Daddy Dave

Daddy Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree. I used to have an emissions tester available but no longer. That would be interesting to see how well it is controlling emissions. It was very clean a few years ago.

15. Daddy Dave

Daddy Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'll drive it to you! Maybe... That's a heck of a long way.

16. harrysprius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Maybe I could deliver it. I'll be coming back from a trip that way later this year. Dave, you really live way out there. Sorry bud, I just can't bring myself to call you Daddy.

17. Daddy Dave

Daddy Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've used that name a long time! 5 kids, most grown and out of the house.

18. harrysprius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I was just giving you a hard time. My kids, and all their friends all call me Pop or Pops.

I got stuck in WY one time. Driving out to WA to visit and a rain storm closed the roads. I'll never use Holiday Inn again. Changed prices to $239 a night since everyone was stranded, was $59 online.

19. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds good! I'll pay for the gas, the 10 qts of oil, and some money on top of that!

20. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll meet you half way!

Raytheeagle likes this.