1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 - Ready to scrap it

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Daddy Dave, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hopefully if they're going through the test, Toyota will come through, with at least some compensation.

2. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can I have first dibs on the engine splash shield? Mine's starting to break

Pixel XL ?

3. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm curious what vehicle you plan to purchase that you expect to go 200,00 or more miles with less maintenance or repair costs. Isn't any car a risk? I don't know of any with a track record indicating better long term reliability than Prius. I'm not trying to be critical, just wonder if you believe otherwise.

4. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    never seen a 4 cly motor that didn't burn oil, Toyota had a lot of problems with the rings and oil ports, they rebuild them on a case by case basis but with the age and miles on yours they would be foolish to open Pandora's box and have to rebuild everyones

5. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really? My brother drives a 2007 Ford Escape hybrid with 200k honest to God, it doesn't burn one drop. It's under maintained and he lives on the top of a mountain, and at the base of the mountain is a high speed freeway. Hard on any engine!

Also the 2010-2011 Honda insights don't burn oil. The 2012 and 13 have serous ring problems though.

Danny3xd likes this.
  6. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius V is starting to burn oil and it's always had top notch synthetic oil changes every 5000 miles. Disappointed since I thought the oil burning issue was mainly the 2010

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How many miles?

8. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It started right at 100k. not terrible, but I thought I was going to avoid it, as I always checked the oil twitce a week before it even started burning a small amount. Shame

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You're dealing with it the right way, anyway. What rate of consumption? If you say a pint or two between oil changes that's not unusual, and if it stabilizes at a quart at the most, who cares: just feed it once in a while.

Danny3xd likes this.
  10. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Jeez, last time I was driving toward Atlanta, if you were under 90 then you were in the way.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  11. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah right now about half a quart at 3000 miles. I'd be fine if it stayed like this, but dang from other people's and my past experiences... it won't.. Thanks Obama :)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    im getting ready to sell mine while its still in good shape and not burning a lot of oil, change your pvc valve it help.. gas is still cheap so I doubt ill get another prius a lot of regular cars get getting over 35 mpg now so im over the hybrids unless gas goes back up over $3.50 a gallon

13. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I see a lot of ford and Hondas with bad tannys for sale on craigs list and auto trader, Ill stay away from them

14. worrachai

worrachai Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Waiting for your answer. I have the problem about burn oil also.
    My prius was 125,000 mile. Spend the oil 16 oz per 4,000 mile. I use 0W-20 from shell(HX-8).
    In my case I saw a little bit oil at head gasket and automatic tension timing chain.

15. runnyeggs

runnyeggs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The guy who sold me his Prius said that all Prius drivers should use Catrol 0 weight synthetic. That's what he uses.

16. runnyeggs

runnyeggs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ford actually had very good quality control for a few years during the Mullaly years (former Boeing CEO). I believe they even ranked better than Toyota briefly during those years for reliability. Toyota was having accident causing acceleration issues during those years.

17. Daddy Dave

Daddy Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Update: The service manager says high oil usage is a known problem with some early 2010 Prius and has been seen all the way up to 2014. There have been cases where at the first oil change the oil was gone and Toyota paid for a new engine. They'd pay up to 60k miles, but since mine is 172k miles and 7 years old they won't pay. The problem is there was something incorrect with the design of the cast piston and rings. He says my engine needs pistons and rings. Their price to fix is near $9000! 14 hrs labor if they replace the engine, 28 if they rebuild. $115/hr I think.

I guess I'll just drive it until it doesn't drive anymore, then make a decision on replacing the engine and battery at the same time.

18. harrysprius

harrysprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sorry Dave. If I had time I'd rebuild it! I think a low mileage replacement motor is your cheapest bet!

Robert Holt and mjoo like this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Can you get professionally rebuilt engines? From a reputable, certified rebuilder. In other words, you give them your engine, and they give you one that was professionally rebuilt, one that they got from a previous customer. Or is it not worth it?

Robert Holt likes this.
  20. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Gee, Mendel, I recall being able,to buy either short-block (just crankcase,--no heads) and fully rebuilt Ford, Chevy, and Chrysler engines from some nationwide US vendor in the 1980s, so your idea used to be commercially viable. But it may be harder now with the wider variety of engines and smaller total volumes of production of each distinct engine type. Still, it seems like that could be viable for Prii as the production runs were longer . How much comonality is there between Gen I, II, III, and IV engines? If there is extensive parts commonality , that might make such a business more feasible.

Mendel Leisk likes this.