1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 - Ready to scrap it

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Daddy Dave, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You would think as long as all customers handed over their old engine supply would be fine. I guess it's a matter of parts and labour, cost: is it viable. Maybe a swap service too?

#61 Mendel Leisk, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  2. harrysprius

harrysprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Aaron,
    What weight and type of oil are you running, and whats your driving like, if you don't mind me asking. I'm not burning any oil, but I'm closing in fast on the 100k mark, and I'm concerned about it.

3. harrysprius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Maybe there are to many that are damaged to the point you can't reuse the block? Typically you can hone a cylinder, but maybe not on these motors? Not sure.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was running 0w20 but as I noticed a little oil consumption I switched to 5w30 full synthetic. Slowed it down a tiny bit and I feel better about it with the thicker oil. I do probably 75% highway at 70 mph. The other 25 city. I live in green hills near downtown, so I have to floor it on the daily. That's probably why I'm getting some consumption honestly

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. harrysprius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Have you done the PCV and intake cleaning? And is your a gen 3?

6. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a 2012 v wagon. Same exatat drivetrain other than a different final drive ratio. I haven't done the PCV yet, mainly since I've read from other owners it didn't make any difference and it was a pain in the nice person.

I have cleaned the egr pipe, and just yesterday I cleaned the throttle body, mass air flow sensor, and a few pipes leading to the throttle body. It seemed to start up smoother after that.

7. harrysprius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks. What kind of mileage are you getting?

8. Daddy Dave

Daddy Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd prefer your idea over buying a used engine that could also have the oil burning problem. A correctly rebuilt engine should last a long time. Or - I wonder if I could buy a crate engine from Toyota.

SFO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. Daddy Dave

Daddy Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The car seems to have two modes of operation on the highway and I haven't determined a reason that it is in one vs. the other. Mode 1: Regular Prius smooth reliable 45 mpg, life is sweet. Mode 2: 35 mpg, probably burning more oil, seems to run OK, I've seen it as low as 25 mpg over 200 miles blasting up the mountains at 84 mph against the wind. I really can't complain about the mileage.

Aaron Vitolins and mmmodem like this.
  10. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    One can buy a lot of oil for the cost of a new engine + installation labor...

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Really heavy oil consumption can cascade into a catalytic converter failure too? In California that can be pricey.

Aaron Vitolins and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Around 46. If drive all more city, shorter trips and such I'm at 44.

13. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Depending on your financial situation, I'd lean towards selling your car. This is assuming your wife and kids aren't interested in keeping it any longer.

You've dealt with an oil consumption issue since around 90k miles, and it's gotten worse. I would understand cutting bait while you still have a good traction battery. There's a Prius with 460k miles legitimately for sale, being discussed, so there's value in your car. There's no reason to scrap it (if we have the same definition of the word) and you can probably still list it as a solid daily driver.

I glanced at the preowned Prius market in Sheridan (dealer sales on Autotrader) and they are holding their value. I'd offer it as a private party sale if you're not offered a good trade in value towards your next vehicle.

14. Daddy Dave

Daddy Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Absolutely true. As long as it runs, it is OK in Wyoming.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. Daddy Dave

Daddy Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree!

16. Daddy Dave

Daddy Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't buy new cars very often. I bought the 2010 Gen 3 Prius thinking that they'd fixed the problems with the 2nd gen with the updated design. They improved the transmission but made a mistake with the engine. I'd consider a trade-in, though a low mileage used car from a private party is a more attractive idea. I'd be 100% honest if I sold it to a private party. Ex: "2010 Prius - oil burner". The car still runs fine. We'll keep it "as is" through this next winter.

BTW: Another family and our family specialize in owning cheap cars. Our rule of thumb is it is hard to own a car for less than $150/month combined depreciation and maintenance. The cost of this Prius has been at least $350/month since its value is very low after 7 years. I would have been money ahead if I'd kept our 20 mpg 4Runner. On the plus side, other than the oil usage and probable engine replacemit has been trouble-free.

17. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm similar with you, as I rarely buy new cars and prefer to buy low mileage cars from private parties. I've had great success with preowned Toyotas. I had a '95 Land Cruiser, which had the same oil burning issues as your car- it drove me nuts as I had to add a quart of oil every 1k miles. I sold it to a family for their high school student, who viewed the SUV as his dream car. The dealership checked out the car in detail and said it was burning a little bit of oil and told the buyer that if they didn't buy it- the dealership would.

One of the best parts of owning a Toyota is the resale value after 150k+ miles. Your PITA car will be exactly what another buyer in your area is waiting for.

Marine Ray likes this.
  18. Sammy B

Sammy B Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dave,

I had the same problem as you, at around the same mileage. I started a lengthy post about it, which can be found with a quick search of my profile (sorry, no link). I pretty much narrowed it down to bad rings, and/ or head gasket. A bore scope revealed a lot of oil in the #2 cylinder. After cleaning out the EGR and intake manifold, life was better for about 10k, but now it started to act up again. In addition to that, I've had a host of other problems that have left car inoperable. I'll probably start a post about it, but for now, I'm in the same boat and I'm about ready to salvage this thing. Just over 190k now.

19. Sammy B

Sammy B Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dave,

I had the same problem as you, at around the same mileage. I started a lengthy post about it, which can be found with a quick search of my profile (sorry, no link). I pretty much narrowed it down to bad rings, and/ or head gasket. A bore scope revealed a lot of oil in the #2 cylinder. After cleaning out the EGR and intake manifold, life was better for about 10k, but now it started to act up again. In addition to that, I've had a host of other problems that have left car inoperable. I'll probably start a post about it, but for now, I'm in the same boat and I'm about ready to salvage this thing. Just over 190k now.

20. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Daddy Dave, Sammy B and Raytheeagle like this.