1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 - Ready to scrap it

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Daddy Dave, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Daddy Dave

Daddy Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I went to your post and scanned through what you've said. That is bad news that your car is inoperable. It foretells doom for my own Prius.

1.) If I had a fouled plug error code on my engine which is known to use lots of oil, the first thing I'd do is replace the plug. It is an easy and cheap fix. Maybe it'll go another 10k before fouling again. It is entirely expected for my engine to start fouling plugs soon.

2.) I'm sending my 2010 Prius with my son to college in 2 days. He's far more alert about mechanical bugs than my wife and will stay on top of the oil and won't be putting many miles on it. I've decided to try to limp it along as long as possible which means only use it around town where we don't rack up the miles like we used to.

3.) It is easy enough to block the EGR pipe where it enters the intake. I may do that again tomorrow to try to limit the amount of oil that comes back through the cylinders. Cut a small piece of sheet metal, loosen the nuts on the EGR pipe, wedge the piece of sheet metal between the gasket and intake, tighten back up. The sheet metal piece must be larger than the hole! You don't want it sucked into the engine.

4.) We'll be buying a different family car in the fall and it won't be a Prius.

Danny3xd and m.wynn like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wonder: is @Prius Team interested in passing that on?

m.wynn likes this.
  3. FrankB

FrankB Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is equivalent to a blocked EGR cooler and I think the consensus is the cause of head gasket failure.

m.wynn likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Would a blocked EGR system cause head gasket failure? I can see that on the way to getting blocked the usual way, the EGR may be dumping carbon into the intake manifold over an extended period, and by the time it blocks itself, it's also carboned up the intake ports, cylinder head, piston rings and so on . And that might cause a head gasket failure somehow.

But if EGR were sealed off, say 8 o'clock day one, how would that cause the head gasket to fail? What would be the mechanism? It could be, I don't know one way or the other, just wondering what specifically in blocking the EGR would cascade to head gasket failure.

#84 Mendel Leisk, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  5. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hell maybe a junkyard engine would be a good idea.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. FrankB

FrankB Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The exhaust gas can be used to lower the temperature of the combustion chamber.

SM-T550 ?

m.wynn, mjoo and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah that's what I've been reading from @mjoo 's contributions too. There's sure a swirl of threads regarding this right now.

mjoo likes this.
  8. FrankB

FrankB Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wikipedia has a good explanation.

SM-T550 ?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Bottom line I think: it's an integral part of the combustion process, and was designed to run as bare metal. Half-clogged (or worse) by carbon it's not running as it should.

Danny3xd, m.wynn and mjoo like this.
  10. Daddy Dave

Daddy Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I let my son use this oil-guzzling Prius to go to college. He keeps track of the oil usage. It is slowly degrading and eventually I'll have to bite the bullet and put a used engine in it or get rid of it. He attends college at the University of Wyoming which is 7200 ft with extreme winters. He drives it daily. It usually starts fine, but sometimes has the startup rattle for a few seconds before it runs smoothly.

As I probably said earlier, I'm now reluctant to buy another Toyota with the 4 cylinder engine. Maybe I might be convinced to buy the Prime someday.

11. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thx for the update. I was wondering how things worked out. College car is a good choice, IMO. I just didn't want you to scrap it. I'd much rather see it driven into the ground until it dies. Good luck to your son.

12. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I didn't read the whole thread....

Repeated advice already given.

13. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    When you made that statement, I replied by saying: "I'm curious what vehicle you plan to purchase that you expect to go 200,00 or more miles with less maintenance or repair costs. Isn't any car a risk? I don't know of any with a track record indicating better long term reliability than Prius. I'm not trying to be critical, just wonder if you believe otherwise."

I'm still wondering what else you would expect to be more reliable.

Danny3xd and Raytheeagle like this.
  14. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The OP cruises at ~84 mph on the highway. I'm guessing a 6 cylinder vehicle with more HP would be under less stress.

Kramah313 and Danny3xd like this.
  15. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After reading the entire thread. That is what I was thinking as well Melon.

16. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Good point but 6 cylinder engines are an endangered species. They are being replaced with 4 cylinder turbos that are lighter and more fuel efficient but add complexity. Maybe a bigger four than the Prius would take the stress better.

In the future, when battery tech improves, pure electric will probably have the best reliability but right now any vehicle approaching 200,000 miles is at risk of problems.

Danny3xd likes this.
  17. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A blown 4 cylinder has better reliability than a hybrid? Nope

Pixel XL ?

18. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Agreed. I meant a bigger four without a turbo, such as in the Camry hybrid, could, in theory, be more reliable.

The Lexus UX hybrid crossover, coming out in December, will have a 2.0 engine (and eAWD). It will be about the same size as a Prius. It could be an option to replace a Prius but won't be cheap.

#98 royrose, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    mjoo likes this.
  19. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just a thought. Don't think any cars are designed to regularly and continually do 80. Especially if wanted to last over 200K.

Perhaps with an all electric's simplicity, this would not be as big an issue. So guess I'm agreeing.

If anything, I read this as a testament to the Prius. This is a lot to ask of any car.
    (Gonna go say nice things to my baby, snork)

Forgive the slightly off topic or at least extrapolation. We have scrapped 3 Toyota Camrys with conventual engines. All had over 300K miles.

Not one was scrapped due to issues with the drivetrain. All were due to the dumb stuff. Windows leaked, buttons failed etc. But they were all functioning cars when we gave up the ghosts on 'em.

With that many miles, we could not give them away and last one, we got $200 from the junkyard.
    Kinda sad actually. They served us well.

RMB, Tande, royrose and 2 others like this.
  20. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Years ago, I owned a second generation Lexus LS400. It was very comfortable at 80 mph, the cabin was quiet, and the engine revved at relatively low rpms. IMO, it was more responsive and enjoyable to drive at 80, compared to 40 mph.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.