1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 - replaced 12v battery - problems ensue

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Exophrenologist, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Exophrenologist

Exophrenologist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi all. So we have a US 2010 Prius with us in France and we are moving back to the US. (Employer pays for moving the car around so that’s why we do it this way.)

In preparation for the trip back to the US, I thought it would be smart to replace the 12v battery, which is at least 6-7 years old.

Got it replaced today for a Varta A15 - which retails for like €40. I called the shop to say this doesn’t sound right as Prius 12v batteries are expensive. He insists it’s correct. So fine.

Got the car home today (40 minutes on the highway) and I realize the traction battery gauge is showing 2 bars. This is not normal.

I start the car and sit in the driveway with AC on. It blows AC with the engine off even though the battery indicator is low.

I drive it around and it stays mostly at 2 bars. After 10 minutes and a lot of intentional regeneration, I get it up to 6-7 bars. Then I start driving normally and it drops after a while to 2.

So I plug in my Carista ODB thing and fire up Dr Prius and it says the inverter is warm. I try a full battery test but can’t get past 80% and then after some fussing around, realize the inverter is showing warm in the Dr Prius app.

So then I look at the battery and notice it’s a Varta A15, which doesn’t show up as a Prius battery on the Varta website.

Could the wrong 12v battery cause the traction battery not to charge or the inverter to get warm?

ODB reader showed no codes or errors and there are no dash warning lights. Even after letting it sit an hour, the motor stays off even when AC is on and 2 bars are showing on the battery gauge.

TL;DR - shop installed possibly crap 12v battery and now traction battery won’t charge and inverter is warm - why?

#1 Exophrenologist, Jun 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  2. JohnPrius3005

JohnPrius3005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Exo,
    Do you have a digital voltmeter?
    Do you know how to disconnect the 12V bat?

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    o_O

4. Exophrenologist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I can get a voltmeter and yes I can disconnect the battery. In fact the battery vent is not connected correctly anyway so I’m going tk have to reconnect it.

Does a 40€ battery sound plausible? I thought they were more like 150-200?

5. Exophrenologist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What does this mean?

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Choice of 12 volt replacement battery is a factor. Also, just having a third-party in possession of the car can be damaging: say for example they cleaned the interior of the car, just “part of the service”, and the cleaner listened to the car radio, with the car “on”, not “ready”, for a protracted time. Or someone inadvertently left the car on for hours? I’m a little muddy, but I believe stuff like this can sometimes run the hybrid battery down.

7. JohnPrius3005

JohnPrius3005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II

Hi Exo,

The exact specs of the 12 V battery are "fairly irrelevant" - it is only used to boot up the numerous computers, so virtually any 12 V bat should work - in the short term - if it's not discharged or worn out. That vent is also not important in the short term.

I suggest you disconnect the 12 V battery, either by disconnecting the negative/ground strap from the battery, or disconnecting the ground strap from the car frame. Then check the voltage with a voltmeter. This will give you a rough idea of the state of the battery.

Do you have a battery charger - to use on the 12 V bat?

jp

8. Exophrenologist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ok, somebody mentioned it could be as simple as the computer relearning the state of the traction battery after having been disconnected.

This seems to have been the correct answer. The behavior was indeed pretty weird but after 45 minutes the display and the behavior of the battery were in sync and everything was fine.

I am glad to hear the battery specs aren’t super specialized.

The inverter was showing as too warm because of the Dr Prius battery test I did. Still haven’t figured that out but it’s a problem for another day.

Thanks all for the help.