1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 running off gas only after check hybrid system p0A94??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by elleonleo, Aug 25, 2020.

1. elleonleo

elleonleo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey all, wanted to see if anyone had any idea whether it would be safe to go on a 3-4 hour road trip after the car showed the check hybrid system lights and is pushing the P0A94 and P0A70 codes. Car right now seems to work but only off ICE (gas only). Accessory mode works. Everything else seems to be working. I believe the issue involves the inverter and may be covered under the extended warranty program. Appointment is in two weeks from now unfortunately. What do folks think?

Backstory was driving yesterday on highway, attempted to accelarate quickly when all of a sudden car seems to gear down some, the check hybrid system and associated lights come on and I realize car seems to only be running off gas as engine never comes up. I kept driving home for another hour and this morning to dealership for 15 minutes; car otherwise running fine.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't think anyone can promise you that you won't have a problem, but if you take it easy, you might be.

the car cannot run off the engine alone, the battery has to start it thousands of times a day, so if it isn't charging, it will be a problem.

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Since codes aren’t a big worry for you to look up, drive it and see what happens. Sometimes codes are only a suggestion to people :cool:

4. elleonleo

elleonleo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can't seem to switch out of the screen that just says "check hybrid system" to see if the battery is not charging. But I did drive it for about an hour straight to get back home yesterday, and then half an hour this morning to the dealer and back, and there were no additional problems. We went ahead and changed plans so I won't be taking the risk. But interesting to hear about how this car can work like this. Thanks for the info already shared!

bisco likes this.
  5. elleonleo

elleonleo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dealership already giving me pushback on doing the service off the extender warranty for the inverter, which i'm pretty sure is the problem. I had the recall done back in September where they updated the system.

Won't be able to get service till next friday. I think they deprioritize recall scheduling unfortunately.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did they explain the code?

7. elleonleo

elleonleo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey all, thanks for help so far. So finally got response from dealer. They acknowledged it was the inverter, initially said the extended warranty wouldn't cover it, then when i pressed them on it, they supposedly called headquarters and confirmed it was covered. However, the service rep then said (and she hadn't said this when she first called to explain the diagnostic) that the car needs a "hybrid battery cooling service." and that it would cost roughly $500. I'm imagining she's referring to cleaning the hybrid battery fan? I told her I will likely not be requesting that service and that I'd like to just get the inverter fixed. Anyone have any thoughts?

8. Manil pradhan

Manil pradhan New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    I am going through the same situation right now. I have 2009 3rd generation Prius, I am not sure if I am covered by extended warranty or not. Is there any way I could check that?

9. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Warranties can vary from country to country so you will have to check with Toyota Australia.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What do you mean by the same situation? Do you have trouble codes? What are they?