1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Solar Roof Temperature Report

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by snoctor, Aug 12, 2009.

1. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  2. snoctor

snoctor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Steve here again with a little more data, and some notes about methods etc to keep in mind:

This post was not a complaint about the solar panel / sunroof. I did not expect the same temp inside the car as outside when using solar ventilation (or ‘ambient’ as Toyota puts it) since the car exterior itself heats up in the sun and radiates heat both inward and outward. Again, this is NOT a complaint: I love the sunroof, and I believed the solar system would be effective at knocking down the interior temp. This post is simply an effort to provide information to others who are considering the solar roof package solely because of the solar driven ventilation, or for anybody who is just plain old curious about the system.

Also: as noted in my original post I have ordered a heat shield and I am waiting delivery.

Methods:
    1. Same thermometer is used to take temperature outside of car in the parking lot, and then inside the car with solar ventilation on. The temps are taken AFTER the car has been sitting in the sun with solar ventilation engaged for 4 hours.

2. The thermometer is calibrated for laboratory work and is very accurate from 0C to 100C.

3. Temp is taken at hottest point of the day (about 3 -4).

4. The remote A/C is not used in these tests since that would defeat the whole purpose, which is to test exactly how much the solar ventilation system by itself cools down the car interior…. we already know that A/C cools down cars.

5. I do not leave the windows open a bit as others suggest because my parking lot at work is gravel and very, very dusty. So temperature readings are taken in closed car.

6. My car is black and of course this probably impacts results.

7. My climate is hot, dry and sunny. Normal summer temps are 95-105 and every now and then a bit hotter.

8. There is no shade where I park so the solar panels are in full sunlight all day.

9. The inside panel of sunroof is closed.

10. In some cases the car is parked facing directly south, and in other cases the car is parked facing directly north. I think facing north is actually better for operation of the solar panel since it sits on a portion of the roof that slopes down towards the rear of the car and that way the solar panel should more directly face the sun.

11. As mentioned here in this thread by some others, the solar ventilation system will probably have the least effect when it is very, very hot. So for those in Phoenix your car is still going to be pretty warm inside, but no where near 150+. For those in climates where the temp is lower the system should work much better. Blowing 110 degree air inside a car, as in Phoenix, isn’t going to cool things down much. But blowing 85 degree air should help much more. I plan more measurements when I get my solar shield and will let you know. Thanks for comments, tips and posts.

Results to date:
    Car facing south on gravel lot: outside, 96.8; inside 125.6.
    Car facing north on macadam lot: outside 100.4; inside 122.
    Car facing north on macadam lot: outside 89.6; inside 109.4

Kind of interesting if you compare first and third measurements. Outside temp differed by only 7 degrees, but inside temp differed by 16. I know, multiple factors involved, but I’ll collect more data so we can make direct comparisons.

3. azgringo

azgringo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree. When I was at the dealer, the one I test drove had the solar / vent package. This was in June in Phoenix. Outside temp: 100+. After getting in the car (with vent system on) it was HOT, HOT, HOT. We still had to crack the windows and blast A/C to get the inside cooler.

I chose to go w/ the II without the solar / ventilation system because cracking the windows and blasting the A/C produces the same affect......with or without the vent system.

So I saved on the system and use a portable Magellan GPS, which works great. No regrets! :D

4. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have had my Silver IV/SR out in the 90+ here and I am sure it was no where near 125. I do have tinted 20/50 but I just received my heat shield. What are you using for thermometers as well??
    I am sure the black makes a difference too.

Are you going to do several days without the ventilation on to see the difference??

5. PearlieGirl

PearlieGirl New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My previous car had a sunroof so initially I wanted the sunroof on the Prius, too. But there wasn't one available in the color combo I wanted, and decided to go with one with just nav. My observation, compared to my previous car, is that the car interior is cooler without the sunroof! My Prius has the light bisque leather interior. I don't miss the sunroof as much as I thought I would. Of course, I don't live in Arizona, so I don't have the extreme temperatures that you guys do!

6. snoctor

snoctor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah, I'll let you know what I find. I'm hoping to get my heatshield soon so I can factor that in too.

7. meininger

meininger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They told me it was a weight issue. I got the leather seats, and was told I couldn't get the sunroof because of the weight.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yet you can get a IV with solar panels.

It is a weight issue. They almost had to offer leather and moonroof separately!

9. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you're serious, that's ridiculous.

10. Bear68

Bear68 Member

Quick hint to assist the remote range... Hold the remote under your chin while pressing the button. This causes the remote use your head as an antenna...... Sounds silly but it does work. Try it.

At my dealership, all the techs have to find the car they are going to work on next. When wandering up and down the line of fifty to sixty Toyotas gets old, we use the panic button to locate the car. Hold the remote under your chin and the range nearly doubles. Very helpful when the car is 100 yards away with thirty cars between you and it.

2 people like this.
  11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No joke. It's not so much as a weight issue overall but I'm sure the EPA has a weight range that a vehicle can have (Btwn the base and loaded model) such that the EPA mpgs are valid

12. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    @ snoctor: did you manage to measure the difference between using and not using the solar roof ventilation? which delta do you achieve between the 2?
    I didn't go through the whole thread - which by the way went off topic! We are talking about the inside temperature with and without the sunroof working here, not the weight of the solar panels....

:focus:

13. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Reading, or skimming the thread is useful. He stated that he will be doing comparison w and w/o the SR running as well as with the heatshield.
    Don't get your panties in a twist if people go a little astray, it can be fun to go off the path once in a while ;)

14. snoctor

snoctor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry for the slow piecemeal data, but I’ve only had time to make 1 measurement each day. However this does let the car reach what is probably its maximum temperature. Seems one hour is not enough time for the car to heat up completely. Today I can report some data that you’ll be interested in: Two measurements of the Prius sitting in the sun with the solar ventilation turned off.

Yesterday I compared the Prius to my 05 Corolla. Both were facing south, no windshield screen, sitting on cement, had been in partial shade for several hours and then full sun for 2 hours. The Corolla is phantom grey with light brown interior; the Prius is black with dark grey interior. The Corolla was actually much hotter: 150 degrees versus 124 for the Prius, and again that temp reading was taken with the solar vent turned off. I didn’t expect such a difference but perhaps the Prius has better insulation? Or better glass that blocks more of the sun’s rays? I don’t know.

Today, the Prius was again facing south, sitting on Macadam for 4 hours, no windshield screen, solar vent turned off. Outside temp 96. Interior temp, ready for this? 165 degrees F. No joke. The car was smoking hot and everything inside very hot to the touch. Took almost 10 minutes for the AC to make things comfortable. I don’t think I’m going to put the car through this again. I will take more measurements when the heatshield finally arrives, but it seems clear that the solar vent does make a difference in very hot weather. The hottest temp I’ve recorded so far with the vent running and the car facing south was 125 (same outside temp). As others have pointed out, 125 is hot, but 165 is crazy hot. Maybe the Prius models with white or grey exterior wouldn’t get so hot. Anyway, the take home message is that it looks like the solar vents can reduce the temp by up to 40 degrees even in the 95 degree weather. That should allow the battery to be used more for powering the car rather than the AC unit. I imagine the heat shield should help a good bit, and that when the weather cools down to the lower 80’s the vents should work even better.

15. snoctor

snoctor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    One more note: I love this car!!!

1 person likes this.
  16. hawkmoon77

hawkmoon77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am quite surprised at your results. I've done similar testing here in Florida and had very different numbers. Nevermind. I also have tinted windows. That may explain the difference. I kept a thermometer in the car for a good week and never saw temps above 110 with solar on - and even that was an outlier. Most of the time it was under a 100 - (In low to mid 90 degree temps).

17. hawkmoon77

hawkmoon77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not a fair comparison. The Prius is not cooler without the sunroof. The Prius that you have is cooler than your previous car. I suspect it is more of a factor of the UV blocking glass than the absense of the sun roof. This assumes that the shade is pulled over the sunroof to prevent the sun from entering into the cabin from the top.

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius has HSEA glass, the Corolla doesn't. (HSEA = high solar energy absorbing). It's one of the "strongest" HSEA specifications. Our '05 Prius is cooler than our '02 Camry with HSEA. The Prius is Tideland Pearl w/ Bisque interior. The Camry is Titanium Metallic w/ Stone interior

1 person likes this.
  19. PearlieGirl

PearlieGirl New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You are right, I was just comparing the Prius with my old car, and was surprised by the difference. Not trying to knock the Prius sunroof by any stretch! It seems like it is great. Cheers!

20. paulemus

paulemus New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have an electric cooler on the back seat. I put blue ice in it in the morning for my juices, lunch salad, and even canned food that I don't want getting too hot. Also comes in handy for bringing back frozen food from the market. So I got the solar roof, hoping anything would help.