1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 toyota prius bad egr

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by tjohnson329, Feb 17, 2023.

1. tjohnson329

tjohnson329 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    How long/miles can you drive with a bad egr valve? I ordered one and should come in a day or 2. Was just wondering if you can drive with a bad egr valve

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    How long were you driving before whoever discovered it was bad? Generally besides the valve going bad the rest of the system just gets plugged up coked up whatever you want to call it by that EGR nastiness The Gen 3 basically runs on its own puke till it dies from choking on it that's how I look at it. So you've got to open up the passageways so it doesn't choke on its own puke. That's done by removing the cooler whatever tubes you want to clean pushing brushes through the intake manifold so it cleans the little ports out that feed the puke to the intake fairly basic stuff The broken EGR valve the little ramp thing or whatever goes bad in there I'm sure a couple of days is not going to really hurt anything now flogging it down the highway 75 mph for those few days or whatever might not be ideal these are days when I would ride my big bore scooter.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How did you determine the valve was bad, pulled and inspected? Symptoms? Codes? What's the miles? Has the EGR system been cleaned?

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most people who rely on a Toyota Stealership for servicing their Gen3 will drive forever without an EGR cleaning, which isn't very long because the head gasket blows out before 200K miles and many stealerships will dumbly do the headgasket without cleaning the clogged EGR. As far as they're concerned, Toyota never told them to worry about it so they ignore it.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Or when the head gasket blows then they clean the EGR, hoping it'll "heal" the head gasket. Just clean it, every 50K.