1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Toyota Prius model II Head Unit Upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by spiderman, Dec 24, 2009.

1. stugomer

stugomer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nice work - question

thinking about a pioneer x930 or 130 not sure - how did you deal with the mounting kits as the two i looked at dont match the prius grained look dash - they are smooth.. any insight would help
    thanks
    stu

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard Stu, thank you.

The surround as mentioned in the document does match perfectly as it is an OEM part. The problem with is it is that you need some filler pieces to work with double-din sized equipment. I guess that is the trade-off at this point.

Good luck.

3. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a dilemma - I have free Sat XM radio - so if I change my head unit I'll "lose" it. Snif.
    Over a year now.

4. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I attached the install instructions for the Myron&Davis Prius specific HU. Looks like it's the same as the Coagent/Flyaudio etc. Nothing new but sometimes one report is easier for some people to follow.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  5. k9frog

k9frog New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    thank you much for the info,i also found out that if i go to there store in canada, itll cost me 150.00 for the install, i think with all the info here in the forum i should be able to install with out any problems,, mike

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Added another document inspired by TJ Minski (big thanks)... it covers upgrading the rear door speakers.

The upgrade really helped adding the high frequencies to the rear area but admittedly I seemed to have lost some low end bass volume. For me that isn't a big deal as I have a sub to compensate. Overall the sound quality was improved. :cool:

Enjoy

7. spilknight

spilknight New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First Post here on the forums, only had the Prius for about 1 month, 2011 II. Anywho, the guide attached on the initial post, I was looking for something like this although I'm not planning on upgrading the head unit just yet, but rather I am going to install a Sirius receiver so I can use the pre-wired antenna and the factory head unit instead of a the ol' button antenna and mounted tuner. The process (up until actually changing the HU) is identical I would think. And I was hoping someone that has installed a new HU might be able to confirm if there is in fact enough space behind the factory HU to mount the Sirius Directed Receiver (TOYSIR2) as I have seen mentioned,suggested in other posts/threads.

I can't seem to find one good thread about installing a Sirius Receiver that describes in detail the process such as in this HU upgrade. I'm all for documenting my install, and maybe that's a topic for another post at another time, but before I start taking trim pieces off, I was just looking for a little confirmation.

This will be first mod on the Prius, first for any car of mine too. So yeah, I'm in the gather information stage so I don't f-up my new ride and end up spending more to fix my mistake kind of mode. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And if anyone knows of a good thread dedicated to installing the TOYSC2 please point me in the right direction. Yes, I have used the search; Yes, I have spent time looking for other posts on this topic, No, I'm not a noob to ignorant to first search in their own for the answers to the questions I have asked.

8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am not familiar with that receiver but there is a lot of room in that dash.
    The nature of these mods is a walk into the unknown. That is why these types of threads/posts are so valuable. You can probably have the HU out in 10 mins. :)

9. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  10. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you. Wow, what an equipment list... must sound awesome! Great job.

11. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I finally started the rear camera install today. Holy smokes, it's a bear of a job! I have all of the rear trim out and sitting in my garage, and I have the video cable run through the rubber boot, and snaked to the license area. I partly put things back together and I'll drive like this until next weekend, when I'll get more done or finish it. I definitely feel like I have the hardest part done, the only part I'm not sure of is how I'll run power. I'd rather not snake another cable through that rubber boot, especially since I finally got the thing reassembled.

12. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, after getting that power wire to the camera you will have the hardest part done. :) That boot was a pain... lost some skin on that one but managed to get all the wires I need through it. I ran the RCA through with some twine attached and then attached the other wire to the twine and pulled that through.

13. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Where do you run camera power to? Is there no ignition-switched 12V power source already available in the hatch?

14. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I ran it all the way forward to the HU yellow wire. The trigger wire I ran all the way forward from the left reverse light. Someone found a reverse wire at the driver's foot panel but can't remember the details.

Wums likes this.
  15. MrPete

MrPete Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    FWIW: I found it relatively (!) straightforward to get wires through the boot by using a piece of heavy string trimmer plastic wire first, then taping my wires to that, coating with WD40, and pulling it through.

StevenM and spiderman like this.
  16. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ did you get the steering wheel controls working the way you wanted?

17. skylarii

skylarii New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just noticed that you installed what looks like the Toyota bezel onto the Metra adapter? How did you manage to make it fit? I am having a problem trying to use the Toyota trim with the original radio mounting hardware. My Pioneer 3200bt sits too far down into the dash. Did you make some mods to do this and how did you manage it?

Spiderman, looks like you are the the father of the Pioneer ranks and I am grateful for that. As I noted above, I am not having luck with the fit of my avh-3200bt in the dash replacing the stock basic radio. Using all the mounting hardware from the radio plus the spacers used with the Toyota trim just won't fit properly since it all sits too far down into the mounting space. I have both Metra and Toyota trim and adapters but was hoping to get what I have to fit since I like the look of the Toyota piece better. I see the full writeup of ALEMAN and see that he did a nice job with making the necessary mods to the original pieces which I followed but none of it addresses the depth issue. Any thoughts or suggestions to make this work would be great, I can always go with the Metra kit but that is my last resort. The install is in a gen III PII btw

Thank you!

18. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ all of us that used the OEM brackets had to grind them out to work. The instructions (mine at least) include that information.

My pleasure, love to help.

19. skylarii

skylarii New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is great and most appreciated. So I still did not see how you got the HU moved up far enough to seat well into the Toyota bezel? Did you use spacers or somehow move the bracket further down (different set of holes)? I see the oversize drill holes but that was all that was needed? Any thoughts would be a bonus as I am at a stand still.

Thank you

20. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I bought the Metra bezel, and I used the bracket that came with the Metra bezel with the Toyota faceplate. This made spacing quite simple. I also ran a strip of Velcro "fur" along the top edge of the unit for a snug fit without light leaks.

StevenM likes this.