1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Toyota Prius model II Head Unit Upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by spiderman, Dec 24, 2009.

1. danividalg

danividalg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Seems that I need an Antenna adapter too like image attached.
    Anyone could confirm?

Thanks and best regards.

Attached Files:

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    At least on the US model II, no adapter is needed. It has the standard RCA-like plug in.

1 person likes this.
  3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You will need these harnesses, but where you need to tap into for the steering wheel harness (separate from the audio car harness), there is no aftermarket harness (to the best of my knowledge).

You will have more to do since it sounds like you have JBL system or at least the one that has the amplifier installed (8 speaker system). There are many on this site that have upgraded the system you have. Search for their threads.

1 person likes this.
  4. danividalg

danividalg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Metra 71-8113 and Metra 70-8113 are 20 pin connectors.
    Steering wheel control cables are in this 20 pin connector cable. It's correct?
    Then, I can connect the new HU steering wheel control cables to this metra connectors without tapping into original cables, It's correct?

Thanks and best regards :)

5. danividalg

danividalg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi again,

I have been searching in "Gen III (2010+) Toyota Prius Forums" and I can't find any useful than the "2010 Prius Audio Specs" forum. The only valid information on this for me is that I have identified my audio system, I have the "JBL Unit Non-NAV" with this specs:
    - AM/FM Tuner
    - In-dash 6-CD Changer: Compatible with MP3 and Windows Media Audio (WMA) Files
    - Bluetooth Hands-free System
    - Unit Manufacturer: Panasonic
    - 8-speaker System (JBL)
    - Stereo Component Amplifier Assembly (JBL)
    - Stereo Jack Adapter

Still I'm not sure of what components list I need and how to do the installation for the Erisin ES778.

Any info or help would be very appreciated :)

Thanks and best regards :D

6. ajtozzi

ajtozzi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not true. 2012 models not require a "Lexus style" antenna adapter. Metra model # 40-LX11

It's also not an RCA plug the "standard" antenna connector is referred to as a Motorola plug.

7. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    US Prius with JBL require an "amp turn on" device such as PAC TATO. You indicate your location is Spain. I don't think the Prius sold in Europe requires that.

You should be able to buy a Toytoa specific model from Erisin. They might not have a Prius specific unit but AFAIK the steering wheel control should work. You'll just have to get the unit to fit in the dash. The steering wheel control cable will be a direct connect. Otherwise you'll (probably) have to buy something like the AWSC.

Most of the posters in this forum are from the US. You need to search for posts regarding the European JBL Prius.

1 person likes this.
  8. danividalg

danividalg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks for answer :)

Erisin do not have any Android HU for Toyota. In fact, there is no Toyota specific Android HU (or I have not finded it) :(

I have been looking for spanish forums about it, but without luck

Any help will be very appreciated.

Thanks and best regards :)

9. danividalg

danividalg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I correct myshelf. There are Android HUs for Toyota, but any of them have a minimum of quatity to be usable.
    In my opinion, is neccesary a minimum of 1 GHz processor and a minimum of 512 MB of RAM for Android to work smoothly.

10. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm not sure if you can get any tech support from Erisin but it's worth a shot. They sell Toyota specific units. See if they have any kind of cable or adapter that allows you to connect directly to the steering wheel control harness. There is a (probably very small) chance that kind of adapter is included.

Major brand after market units require something like the ASWC.

Do a search, My memory is one poster actually mounted something like the Samsung Galaxy on the dash.

edited to add link
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...4068-samsung-galaxy-tab-7-main-head-unit.html

11. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The OP has a 2010/2011 model... so would have the same "motorola plug". Thanks for that term and thanks for letting us know what the 2012 has.

I said "RCA-like" since I didn't know what the term was for that plug. Thanks.

12. ajtozzi

ajtozzi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In hindsight I sounded like a douche they way I wrote that post. Sorry - didn't mean to sound condescending.

13. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    no prob... I appreciate the correction.

14. danividalg

danividalg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, this looks very good.
    Do you have it installed on your car?
    Could you post some pics?
    It could be even better than the Erisin solution :)

Thanks and best regards.

15. kumatae

kumatae Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Spiderman, wanted to thank you once again for the instructions. I installed a Pioneer AVH-P8400BH on my wife's Prius II w/Sony rearview camera and Axxess ASWC. Everything else was pretty much inline with what you had. I was surprised how easy the panels popped out, probably easiest access from my past experience. The hardest part was making the cuts on the metal brackets, I used a metal shear and just made a big mess. Getting the deck sit perfectly was pretty difficult and agonizing. I also had issues with my bypass and ASWC not working properly but I got everything to work. The 8400BH is pretty sweet being able to view google maps with an Iphone. Granted the cable alone cost $50, but it was well worth it. My wife will definitely enjoy it. Thanks!!

16. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ you are welcome, thanks. Glad it came out in the end. Please post a photo.

17. kumatae

kumatae Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I really thought about taking a lot of pictures while doing my install but you pretty much covered everthing so here's what I have. I sort of pulled the deck out a little using washers so it sticks out a little.
    I tore up the brackets pretty good. I also had to purchase new screws as well. Sorry about the crappy pics from the blackberry. Also, I finally realized that a Dremel is DIY man's best friend. Also I purchased a USB extension cable and routed the iPhone and USB cable to the center console. I had to take the center console out and drill a hole but I think it's the best place for putting a small hard drive or the iPhone plugged in. The iPhone cable is long enough so that you can place it in the cup holder. I'll post a picture of it when I get around to it.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I used smaller washers for this part. The other side is looks just as bad if not worse.
    [​IMG]

I glued washers together to place it behind the mounting screws for the bracket to the car to pull out the deck forward
    [​IMG]

18. drew935

drew935 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Kumatae, please post your wiring for the aswc and HU as I am completing this same install as well. Having issues with ASWC right now :rolleyes:

19. kumatae

kumatae Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Just wanted to add some final pictures of location of bluetooth mic and the USB wires are located.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The hole had to be little big bigger due to the size of the connectors, but it doesn't really matter because of the cup holder as seen on the picture below.

[​IMG]

To make the hole, I did infact have to take the entire console, but like many things, it was pretty easy to take it out. Notice that I have plenty of wire to place them anywhere. The USB wire is with an extension - I think 3ft. The Ipod cable is plenty long to make it this far.

20. kumatae

kumatae Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I wish I had taken a picture of it, but I had to try two different wires. I got confused by the Green/Orange wire since I found two that fit the description.

Also, the ASWC never worked on its own when I started the system. The red light would flash once and turn off. I had to press the reset button and it went and found everything. I'm not sure what your symptoms are. Also, make sure you have the right 6,7,8 wires. Spiderman's picture is very helpful. Also, don't forget to ground wire 6, I had forgotten on my first try. I just found a screw on a clean metal surface and used a T-tap. Let me know what your issues are. Good luck!