1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Toyota Prius Newbie

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by AzusaPrius, May 27, 2020.

1. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have had my Prius for a couple of years now and when I got it, it had just recently had the hybrid battery replaced from a place in El Monte.
    That is why I bought it because it just had both batteries changed.
    So a few months later I get on the dash "Check Hybrid Battery"
    I go back to the shop with the receipt and they have me leave it there.
    Long story short they just gave me the run around since it had 6 months left in the warranty.
    The battery is apparently no good as of right now.
    I googled and you tubed and looked on here to the point where I took it apart and looked around the battery.
    I was hoping to see corrosion and willing to clean them and/or order new nickel plated bus bars.
    To my surprise the battery already had the upgraded bus bar, the battery is a Dorman.
    So one last hope I took off the cover to where everything plugs in and low and behold....
    The orange power plug was not completely plugged in and I pushed it down and it clicked.
    I can only hope the battery can somehow charge back up but it may be too late.
    If all else fails I will be looking to get a green bean battery with a lifetime warranty for $1,650 installed.
    During this pandemic time I was extremely bored and changed the rear hub and bearing w/abs sensors.
    Both left and right sides and found out the right side was different from the left (previous crash)
    Hoping that would fix the issue because I got some ABS codes.
    I also had an issue ever since I bought the car and didn't know any better.
    The display could not be changed by the trip or display buttons.
    So the Oil Maintenance Required message stays on and can't reset it.
    The shop in El Monte said it would be $700 for the part.
    I found it on Ebay for under $10 shipped and installed it myself after watching some youtube.
    Now for the first time I can see everything I am supposed to.
    Then the "Check Hybrid Battery" message comes on and takes that all away.

Anyway hope everyone here is being safe during this pandemic.

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome and well done!

you seem to have the skils to put in new cells from 'newpriusbatteries.com' much better that rebuilt and $1,600.
    or even shop dealers for a new oem, some are selling under 2k.

how many miles on her? consider researching the egr circuit here, before you blow a head gasket. does she burn any oil?

all the best!(y)

James Powers likes this.
  3. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks and there is about 180,xxx on it but last night took it for a drive and now when "check hybrid system" light comes on the whole car shuts down. Very dangerous and there are no open recalls on it since I took it to the dealer and had the latest software update on it.
    I have no idea what can be wrong now, it was driving fine even when the check hybrid system light was on and now that I worked on it well just looked around and pushed the orange power plug in all the way. Now it shuts down and for the head gasket that may be an issue.
    When I took it to the dealer they did a 100 point inspection and said it fail the compression test. That was a year ago and I have been driving this around but I did add some gasket stuff in the coolant but I may have added too much and clogged the water pump.