1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Toyota Prius Photos and release specs posted

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by HTMLSpinnr, Jan 12, 2009.

1. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll buy that. Right now my Scangauge is perched on top of the
    MFD, so it's a quick rightward but minimal jog of the eyeballs
    to see it rather than a minimal jog down. It's when instrumentation
    is mounted way down under the stereo or something that it starts
    getting silly.
    _H*

2. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The switch 'conveniently' located under the arch where you won't be able to reach it while seated. At least not if you have a right leg (and maybe not even then).

3. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    .... MUCH!! I don't have to take my eyes off the road at ALL now, the buttons are all tactile. With the new system (besides the problem of winter driving with gloves on) you need to watch the HUD to see when you have your finger on the right place. LESS SAFE.
    Um, what happens if the fob battery dies and you don't just happen to have a spare of the right type (and if still needed, a TEENY TINY Phillips screw driver) handy? Save even more gas I guess since you'll be walking? Or is there MAYBE a less shape specific place you can drop the fob so the car can read the chip? And do they still have an SKS defeat switch so the 12V doesn't get drained if you go off on vacation for a month?
    Some more impressed than others I guess :)

• The arch is a horrid encroachment, a waste of space and the cup holder placement is bad.
    • All the specific buttons around and under the MFD are NOT more ergonomic. The climate control buttons are not tactile other than fan speed and temp which will require the driver to look WAY off the road to find the right one (though temp up/down are still on the wheel). AND you have to reach over the shifter to get to most of them. You can't go directly to the fan speed you want, instead you have to press and wait. It looks like they now have a vent button, but I see no easy way to set the vent positions (face, face/feet, etc). Now I hit the Climate button on the MFD surround and the specific position I want (usually defrost/feet since the auto climate control doesn't know you need that ALL the time when the outside temp goes below about 45, at least here).
    • They have lost the front and rear Defrost buttons from the wheel, as well as the Auto A/C button. Apparently the Info and Map buttons as well even on the Nav equipped car. Those are some of the wheel controls *I* use MOST. In fact, the only ones I DON'T use now are the phone buttons since I don't have a Bluetooth phone. Actually, I don't use the voice control much either, it is faster to hit the buttons on the MFD or the steering wheel.
    • Since they lost many of the most useful (to me) wheel buttons, they could have at least moved the CC controls on to it. I happened to have my right knee in the wrong place under the wheel while turning the other day, lucky the CC stalk didn't snap off.
    • The touted 'more ergonomic' move of the shifter off the dash AND super-sizing it is NOT more ergonomic since the driver RARELY has any need to touch it. At MOST, I touch mine twice when driving. PERHAPS once to reverse and ONCE to put it in Drive. It puts itself in Park when I power down. Why do I want it sitting in the middle of the car like some prima dona?
    • While at least they didn't move the gauges back behind the steering wheel, shifting the whole HUD right means the driver must divert her/his eyes farther off the 'straight ahead' view to keep tabs on the speed. At least they have kept the energy and consumption screens but moving them to the HUD necessitates they be smaller, thus harder to read quickly.
    Have they totally blown off the MFD if you don't get the Nav system? I guess so seeing later pictures with a radio/CD module in place of the NAV screen module. I guess that is the way the Camry Hybrid comes. Really sad they are moving LACK of ergonomics from other vehicles onto the new Prius rather than moving CURRENT Prius 'high points' to other vehicles. And is the Nav screen smaller than the current screen or does it just look that way? The position appears more horizontal, thus MORE likely to have glare. Might as well just get a portable Nav system and save a lot of money. A lot cheaper to get new maps as well.

The GOOD thing about the current Prius IS the MFD (though I admit to finding it very wierd at first) and all the easy to see/use screens. The BAD thing is that Toyota didn't make MORE use of that screen to set things like seat belt beepers, reverse beeper, maintenance light reset, TPMS reset, etc. Now they have removed it entirely?? SAD.

Yeah, sorry, I am even more disappointed after seeing these pictures than I expected to be from the 'peep show' pictures.

4. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Those don't show in the TireRack survey. The 2 Bridgestones that are there scored poorly, just above the Integrity.
    These scored a LITTLE better than the Integrity but still 17th of 18 on the list of Grand Touring. WHY does Toyota insist on putting bad tires on the Prius??

5. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    OK, while there is nothing new I NEED in the 2010 Prius and a LOT I don't like (no sale here) I guess I should at least post the positives:

• Adjustable driver's seat
    • More rear travel for the driver's seat
    • More rear head room (does that also translate to more front head room?)
    • More rear leg room, though it was already top of the pack for mid sized cars so it wasn't a big 'need'.
    • An EV switch FINALLY. And hopefully the ECO switch will allow better acceleration (or small slope climbing) without the ICE kicking on. EV won't engage when the ambient temp is COLD (at least in the current models with aftermarket EV) so it would be nice if ECO could hold 'auto EV' longer.
    • All windows auto up/down
    • 6 or 7% better FE with 134 combined HP. I don't think the HP needed to go up at all (let alone 22%) and they might have gotten a better FE increase if they stuck with the 1.5L but at least they didn't go to the (I think) 170 combined HP with the 1.8L that was posted a short while back
    • sun roofs for those who won't buy a car without one
    What I wish they HAD included:

• Lots of time and money on the 'cooling while parked' design, nice for those who need it. Where is the Winter Package that has engine compartment insulation and coolant temp controlled air flow blocking for those of us who suffer greatly from cold weather mileage hits??? I bet it would be cheaper than the solar cell controlled ventilation AND save a lot more fuel. I don't suppose you can get the solar cells to charge the traction battery.
    • ScanGuage like information on the MFD. OK, there is no MFD :(, on the HUD then.
    • User controlled electric cabin heaters running off the traction battery. The ability to use them, like EV, can be computer controlled relative to SOC. I don't know about other areas, but my battery is 7 green bars 70% of the time in winter and rarely goes below 6 blue. The colder it gets, the greener the battery. Let me use some of it to warm the inside of the car while the ICE warms up as I drive. I guess seat heaters are OK but it isn't my butt that is cold, it is my face.
    • PHEV (though I knew not to expect it just yet) and I'm not sure even that would pull me over the ergonomic backslide in the 2010 driver's 'cockpit'.
    And some questions:

• Are they going to make an EBH available to everyone now or do they still think only Canadians need them?
    • If one wants the solar venting, do they also have to pay for a sunroof?
    • If you want Nav are you stuck paying for the sunroof and or solar venting?
    • Generically, which 'features' are you forced to buy to get one you want?

6. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

new prius does have heat recirculation system like in new RX450h, that also speeds up cabin warmup... in rx450h, we know it speeds up vehicle shutdown by 15 minutes at -5 cold start...

pretty much everything i see if awesome positive.. and real life pictures are even better... interior quality and options and even better... 10% better mileage, considerably better cold performance (not counted in those 10%), 20% more power, all in all, pretty awesome....

about only thing i didnt like was seat heater placement, but people complaining about seat warmer switches just shows how good new prius is :).

7. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Why has Toyota decided to make the wheels asymmetrical? On the one side, it looks slick with the 'flare' tapering to the back. On the other side it looks goofy as it tapers to the front. I wonder if it has an effect on air flow past the wheel.

8. resoh02

resoh02 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I am disappointed in the mpg on 2010 prius. I don't think I will be trading in on a new prius, not enough improved gas mileage from 47 to 50, 3 mpg isn't worth it.

9. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

its 10% improvement... and 20% more power... and bigger, more luxurious cabin.
    Pretty much what gen2 was to gen1 and look how that turned out :)

10. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm pretty sure Toyota has been very clear for quite a while that this would not be the plug-in release or the li-ion release. I'm not aware of any other production vehicle currently available using li-ion, are you? Both the soon to be released Ford Fusion Hybrid and new version of the Malibu Hybrid are still using NimH. Using Li-ion for standard hybrids generally makes less sense anyway, as the increased cost doesn't buy you much. In the Prius it would save about 30-40lbs. Using them in PHEVs is more complicated, as you have to exercise them over a much greater portion of their SOC range. This makes for a lot more challenges in the realm of reliability and lifetime, and consequently means a lot more testing and tweaking. I know its frustrating to wait, but I'd rather see them take the time to get it right than rush it out and have a whole lot of negative publicity due to battery problems.

Rob

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are lots of photos of lots of things not included in the official shots at my flickr site:
    Prius Connection Detroit - a set on Flickr
    [​IMG]

12. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The button is easy to reach by anyone with both a right arm and a movable right leg. It is an odd location, but it's not that inaccessible. I rarely use the ones in my wife's HiHy and will probably rarely if ever use the one in the 3G either, but if I do want to I'm quite sure that the average person has more than adequate reach and flexibility to reach down and push the button.

Ideally it would be more accessible, but still out of the way...you don't wanna hit it on accident on a hot summer day.

13. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    for those who did not get today's invite only email here are some details:

there are 3 levels, Gold, Silver, and Platinum

your sunroof cannot be separated from the solar panels

ordering the sunroof / solar panels and your preorder will not come with
    intelligent parking assist, lane assist, radar cruise control, the led lights, etc.
    the sunroof is limited to only the middle package

Originally i was going to post the jpg of the option packages but i don't feel like getting sued. i already risked my computers opening up strange emails, i don't need to take more risks

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    IMO this was a very elegant way to address a very common complaint we've seen here at PC. Lots of people complaining that they couldn't see the lights on the controls on the steering wheel.

I am with you that with time/practice it's become very intuitive to just feel and push the control buttons. But many new or infrequent drivers have a harder time.

Again, I think this is just a compromise. I don't think it's less safe, do you really need to change your radio volume in high risk situations? The display is bright, easy to see and instantaneously responds to touch, the slightest glance tells you exactly what's going on. If this is unsafe then so is the speedometer.

I don't know...or what if the car battery is dead? I hope someone asked last night and has the answer.

guess it depends upon your expectations.

• IMO it's wise use of wasted space.
    • Agreed, there's a lot more you can get to without going into multiple MFD screens though...a good thing since many won't have an MFD. Another compromise.
    • I think this is something most will adapt to within a day or two.
    • Agree, except almost never the defrost. But Map and Info are used frequently.
    • Individual preference...I use the phone all the time...but the voice rarely these days.
    • I think it's a legitimate point...I believe this is a move toward a more mainstream appearance. I, personally, use my shifter many times in my commute as I go into neutral glides and such, so I like the more convenient location...Closer to the dash might have been good, but then accessing the buttons in the center would have been more difficult. Again, a compromise and not a big deal...I think this is another thing that won't bother you the slightest after the 2nd day.
    • They're easy to see and interpret...really. Once you become familiar recognition of what's going on is instantaneous. Plus it displays more and more useful information now in a less distracting/distant location.
    Yes
    I respect that perspective, but the vehicle felt very ergonomic when I sat in it.
    I think it's the same.
    There are a lot of reasons to get a portable NAV, as they haven't said if they would have a more reasonable upgrade method. But I don't think glare will be as big of a problem as it MFD sits a bit lower inside the vehicle.

Agreed. I've long lobbied that they produce a "high tech" or "Prius nerd" version that gives CAN-View like data...at a price...for those who really want it.

It was factually stated by more than one Toyota person that their goal was to sell 180,000 units in the first year of sales...that means mainstream, period. That's a very lofty goal in this economy and while you and I have very similar interests in many things with the Prius WE are not thier ultimate target audience. And frankly one of the things this forum has lobbied for is wider acceptance, and thus wider impact of high tech vehicles like the Prius. That means compromises that will appeal to the target audience.

Toyota's been listening to us, and they will continue to...but they also have to listen to their marketing survey groups or "normal" people thinking about buying a new car.

Yeah, sorry, I am even more disappointed after seeing these pictures than I expected to be from the 'peep show' pictures.[/quote]

15. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Can anyone else confirm or post the info in detail about the option packages?

This sucks if true! Why can't we get the moonroof and solar panels if we also want the LED headlights, lane assist, radar cruise control etc?! Really, this is upsetting, what a decision to have to make if true...

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There will be more packages available later. These 3 levels are just for those who got the invite to pre-order.

17. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Picasa album updated.

Picasa Web Albums - Rick - Prius Connect...

I'm working on converting the MJPEG video I shot to something YouTube-able. I have video of the following:

* Uncovering of the 2010 Prius at our hands on
    * Moon-roof operation
    * Load/unload of discs behind the NAV screen
    * Auto-unlock doors
    * Pat Sparks "starting" the Prius
    * Announcement of the Pre-order to the group

18. shaun

shaun Junior Member

Got the email thread and read through it all. I've fallen off the map on this one and didn't even know a Gen III was coming out. Yeesh.

Some nice improvements, but less than I would have hoped for (remember seeing plug in prius photos some time ago from Toyota (holding my breath anticipation)). Seems more like a minor upgrade for those who already have the Gen II, unless you have an extra $20,000 kicking around.

Makes me glad I have an '05 Gen II :)

shaun

19. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That depends on where you live. Here in Minnesota, the new design will provide a big boost to MPG during the winter.

Many of us will easily exceed that EPA number too. Wait for the real-world data to start coming in.

20. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Late in the evening... several drinks to the wind... I actually managed to ask this. I personally asked Jill, 'cause I liked her and she helped take the cover off the first car so I figured she was pretty high up the chain. :)

So the deal is... there is no slot for the fob. There is apparently a reader IN the start button. You hold the thing to the start button and it'll read the chip of a remote with no battery in it. There appears to be no way of turning off the SKS system. One assumes that they've made it significantly lower power, and a defeat just isn't needed.